Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Ok, so here is the deal. Got the final inspection today for the HVAC in my dedicated HT in the basement. Despite getting initial approval from the regional buidling department when I presented my schematics AND passing my rough-in inspection - the inspector today said I did not have enough air return to pass inspection (and hence pass code). :mad: :confused: :mad: I need to add 200 square inches of air exit to the room. Now of course - it being the final inspection, the room is done (by which I mean drywalled, painted, molding, carpet, etc.) So I am left with a dilema of how do I resolve this issue and pass code. If I had been told about this during construction it would have been no problem, just add some passive air vents with the appropriate number of bends out of the HT and problem solved.

So does anybody have any great ideas? The only one I have come up with so far is a adding 12X24 vent to the component closet doors (it is a pass through closet with access both in the HT and from the back). But this will introduce noise from outside in and allow sound from the HT to the outside. Not sure there is any option that will not do this.

Boy am I PO'd:mad:

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Bryce_H said:
The only one I have come up with so far is a adding 12X24 vent to the component closet doors (it is a pass through closet with access both in the HT and from the back). But this will introduce noise from outside in and allow sound from the HT to the outside. Not sure there is any option that will not do this.

Boy am I PO'd:mad:
Personally, I would do something simple like add the vent in the closet. As soon as inspections were finished, I would install an air tight cover made of plywood or something over that pass-through, assuming you do not expect 'suprise' future inspections. Realize that I make this recommendation based on the single objective of getting the HT functional, and in blatant disregard to the inspector's ruling.

-Chris

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That would be my suggestion too. Add the vent so that it is inset slightly so that you can easily place a flush cover over it. That's what my friend did also when remodeling his kitchen. You are required to have a certain amount of flourescent lighting, but he had them install all flush zone controlled stuff, so they rigged up a big light to get it signed off, then took it down after.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
So the inspector called back and told me that I do not need to have the air vents, because it has been designated as a Media Room. Instead I need a fresh air intake to the air return within 10 feet of the furnance. Now I'm not sure what I will need, as the inspector is not instilling a lot of confidence. So I will be visiting the Regional Building Departmetn and asking to speak with a senior (i.e. greybeard) inspector and figure out what is really going on. Stupid process and codes :mad:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis