Affordable amp with sub out - desktop use

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
I was given a E-MU 0404 USB interface for Christmas, which is fantastic, and now I'm hunting for an appropriate amp. Currently I run from the 0404 into a Teac receiver (1/4" TRS - RCA), then use speaker level inputs to the sub (Dayton Sub-100), then use the high pass filter on the sub to run wire to Behringer 2030Ps.

I had hoped to replace the Teac received with something like the Dayton DTA-100a, but have come to realize that the fixed high pass filter on that would prevent me from using the set up as described.

I am looking for suggestions on an amp to replace the Teac. I would prefer something small like the DTA-100a, but would and have considered something like the Onkyo TX-8555

It seems like I could either go with a receiver with bass management (i.e. a typical HT receiver), a stereo receiver without bass management and use the high pass filters on the sub like I'm doing now, or a desktop amp like the DTA-100a with an external crossover like the Behringer CX2310 placed in between the 0404 and the DTA-100a.

Budget is flexible, would like to stick around $200.

Any suggestions?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'd go with something with bass management. Either a used AVR or at most a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR508 for $200. With it being the week after Christmas there should be a ton of stuff on ebay and CraigsList. By next week pricing reality should set in leaving some bargains.

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
I'd go with something with bass management. Either a used AVR or at most a refurbished Onkyo TX-SR508 for $200. With it being the week after Christmas there should be a ton of stuff on ebay and CraigsList. By next week pricing reality should set in leaving some bargains.
Thanks Sholling...that's what I was leaning towards, but then I think for the price perhaps it would be better just to get the CX2310 and something like the AMP-100 or DTA-100a, it would wind up being similar price with greater flexibility.

So the signal path would be 0404 to CX2310 via XLR, then split lows via XLR - RCA to sub, and highs via XLR - RCA to amp.

I will keep my eyes open for an affordable receiver with bass management, any reason in a strictly 2.1 environment to go with that over the cx2310+amp option?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Nothing really technical that I'm aware of just personal preference for simple.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I had hoped to replace the Teac received with something like the Dayton DTA-100a, but have come to realize that the fixed high pass filter on that would prevent me from using the set up as described.
High Pass filter? Thats really gonna suck because I just ordered one of these for my 2 channel desktop system. I don't see any mention of that in the specs.

Code:
Frequency Response 20Hz-20k Hz
I only have a little 8" sub in there so I'm fine with that frequ range.

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
High Pass filter? Thats really gonna suck because I just ordered one of these for my 2 channel desktop system. I don't see any mention of that in the specs..
I didn't see any mention of it in specs, but when I emailed PE tech support to check I got this response:

"Most, if not all, T-class amplifiers have some sort of high pass on the output. I would recommend you split signal going to the amplifier rather than using the speaker out."

I am going to email them back for a more definitive answer on the cut-off point, will post back with their response.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I didn't see any mention of it in specs, but when I emailed PE tech support to check I got this response:

"Most, if not all, T-class amplifiers have some sort of high pass on the output. I would recommend you split signal going to the amplifier rather than using the speaker out."

I am going to email them back for a more definitive answer on the cut-off point, will post back with their response.
Thats an extremely vague response. You think if they took the time to email you back they could at least look up the specs......

Thanks for following up though I might have to get an external crossover. The whole point of the little T amp though is having a nice neat compact package....

I eagerly await your findings.

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
Thanks for following up though I might have to get an external crossover. The whole point of the little T amp though is having a nice neat compact package....
My thought exactly, if it does use a HPF I'm tempted to go with something else like the AudioSource AMP100 + Behringer CX2310 and put together a little rack mount using something like the Ikea Lack table or the Rast. That being said, I'd rather go with something small, that's why I was looking at the DTA-100a.

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
A bit more information, here's the response from PE after I asked about the cut-off point of the HPF, if there is one:

"Unfortunately I do not have the specifications for where the amplifier has been filtered on the high or low side of the audio band. These should be on the complete ends of the band and will not be as noticeable to the human ear as one would think. Tripath, the designer of the chip, does not specify frequency response either.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/Tripath/mXyzwqtx.pdf"

That response leads me to believe that perhaps the outputs are not filtered but are indeed 20Hz-20kHz. I may order one tonight and see what happens when it arrives. :)

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
A bit more information, here's the response from PE after I asked about the cut-off point of the HPF, if there is one:

"Unfortunately I do not have the specifications for where the amplifier has been filtered on the high or low side of the audio band. These should be on the complete ends of the band and will not be as noticeable to the human ear as one would think. Tripath, the designer of the chip, does not specify frequency response either.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/Tripath/mXyzwqtx.pdf"

That response leads me to believe that perhaps the outputs are not filtered but are indeed 20Hz-20kHz. I may order one tonight and see what happens when it arrives. :)
Or you could wait a week and I will let you know. :)

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Ok so I got the amp in today and am very pleased.

It doesn't appear to have a high pass filter after running some frequncy sweeps. My sub burps out frequencies all the way down to about 25hz-30hz which is all one can expect from an 8" driver. :)

And isn't it just so dan cute! :)

Its a LOT smaller that I thought it would be which is certainly a good thing!

Although it does have a annoying buzzing for some reason....still trying to sort out the source of this....doesn't seem to be the amp itself as if I remove the audio input cables the buzzing goes away...

Last edited:
fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
Good deal, thanks for the update krzywica. Have you noticed any volume imbalance between the left and right channels? I believe that was a complaint on the first version.

Regarding the buzzing, what does your signal chain look like?

Looks like I may be purchasing one soon!

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Good deal, thanks for the update krzywica. Have you noticed any volume imbalance between the left and right channels? I believe that was a complaint on the first version.

Regarding the buzzing, what does your signal chain look like?

Looks like I may be purchasing one soon!
Volume balance is good, seemed a little brighter and more forward than the Sherwood it replaced, but that may have just been my mood that day. I will have to have several more listening sessions before I draw any conclusions. It has more power than I anticipated as with the volume knob at 12 o'clock (half power) I have enough output to satisfy those moments where I really want to crank it.

My signal path is 1/8th" audio out from pc directly into a left right rca splitter into the amp. I either need to get a little USB DAC or a dedicated sound card I think. If I play music at moderate volumes then pause it and turn the volume on the amp up a little I get an audible buzz or hiss....I then unplug the inputs from the amp and immediately plug them back in and there is no buzz.....weird. If anyone can explain this please enlighten me.

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
My signal path is 1/8th" audio out from pc directly into a left right rca splitter into the amp. I either need to get a little USB DAC or a dedicated sound card I think. If I play music at moderate volumes then pause it and turn the volume on the amp up a little I get an audible buzz or hiss....I then unplug the inputs from the amp and immediately plug them back in and there is no buzz.....weird. If anyone can explain this please enlighten me.
Whenever I've used onboard sound cards I get buzzing like that. Even a cheap little external USB card should do pretty well, I used a Creative X-Fi for quite some time, now using it at work since the E-Mu 0404 USB replaced it.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Whenever I've used onboard sound cards I get buzzing like that. Even a cheap little external USB card should do pretty well, I used a Creative X-Fi for quite some time, now using it at work since the E-Mu 0404 USB replaced it.
So would something like this be a good choice?

I'd like to spend less than $100, the cheaper the better.....I have other stuff to spend money on right now but would like to get this working properly.

Thanks for your help. :)

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
So would something like this be a good choice?

I'd like to spend less than $100, the cheaper the better.....I have other stuff to spend money on right now but would like to get this working properly.

Thanks for your help. :)
The world of USB DAC's is a tricky one, I'd venture to say it's filled with as much nonsense as speaker wire. There are a ton of DAC's available, I am not familiar with the specific one you linked though. What I would suggest is starting with something like a cheap sound card:http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=pd_cp_pc_3 and see if it meets your needs.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I actually just found out Patrick (Warpdrv) has one of these so I can try before I buy. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis