B

boudy78

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I need an advice to which A/V receiver should I purchase?

I have a simple system which is PS3 (games & movies), 1080 Sony LCD, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers.

I will buy a new PC and I want to play PC games on the LCD.

I've searched a lot on the internet, but I'm not an expert. I found these receivers looks good,

Yamaha RX-V863
Yamaha RX-V663
Onkyo TX-SR875
Onkyo TX-SR606

But I'm confused which one to buy? and even asking myself if there are better receivers that I don't know about :)

I would really appreciate your help in the selection process, my top priorities are games and movies and my budget is $ 999 :)

Thanks

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Features and Price

All the mid level receivers out there, irrespective of brand, will meet you needs. Look for specific features (scaling, room eq...) and price to help narrow down the field.

IMO, for 2 sources a full blown receiver for $1K is way overkill.

If you just HAVE TO blow the grand, look into an audio preamp + dedicated amp to handle the sound and run video straight to the TV. (Oops... this option knocks itself out because of the PS3)

Better yet, save on the receiver and put the rest of budget to get better speakers. Electronics, media formats and displays will come and go. But a speaker can be lifelong.

Why not use the PC as your receiver/ "source control". Then you only need a dedicated amp for the speakers.

Mike19

Mike19

Junior Audioholic
Hi Boudy.

I'm not familiar with Yamahas, but I am with the Onkyos (I have an 805). The 876 is a great receiver, def better than the 606, but accordingly more expensive. I think the 606 will suit your needs.

Mike

B

boudy78

Audiophyte
Thanks for ur reply.

Just one another thing, if I connected my PC (analog source I guess) to the receiver through VGA to 3 RCA converter in order to watch movies directly from PC.

Would still 606 the best option?

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
if I connected my PC (analog source I guess) to the receiver through VGA to 3 RCA converter in order to watch movies directly from PC.

Would still 606 the best option?
While you get the VGA (D-Sub) to Component (RCA) conversion cables, you need to make sure the PC video is output in the correct color space/ encoding.

PC levels are R/G/B encoded - will not work with some TV/ PJs
Receiver in-out/ Display input - Y/Pb/Pr encoded - may not work with older PC monitors

While the cables are cheap, the converter is not.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/video-converters/vga-rgb-hv-to-component-video/c10000-c11200-c11215-p1.html

M

mike_wassell

Audioholic Intern
I think the Onkyo TX-SR606 would be a great reciever for your setup. For that matter even the Onkyo TX-SR506 would work in your system.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hi all,

I need an advice to which A/V receiver should I purchase?

I have a simple system which is PS3 (games & movies), 1080 Sony LCD, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers.

I will buy a new PC and I want to play PC games on the LCD.

I've searched a lot on the internet, but I'm not an expert. I found these receivers looks good,

Yamaha RX-V863
Yamaha RX-V663
Onkyo TX-SR875
Onkyo TX-SR606

But I'm confused which one to buy? and even asking myself if there are better receivers that I don't know about :)

I would really appreciate your help in the selection process, my top priorities are games and movies and my budget is $ 999 :)

Thanks
Just get the speaker package with the Marantz 4002 and then add an SVS sub.

Get your stuff at accessoriess4less they have the cheapest receivers by far.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
M

murl

Full Audioholic
My vote is on the Onkyo 606, I think it is alot of bang for the buck. I would spend more on upgrading the speakers. Try accessories 4 less and nextag.com for prices. Denon, Marantz, and Integra are also great receivers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis