Advice / Sanity check on art installation

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I have an acquainted making, well, installation art.

Long story short: It can be described as a box, about the size of a breakfast-nook table. He wants to feed music into this box and get the music out (a speaker) but also vibrate the box such that someone in contact (sitting on it for example) will get vibrated from the music.

He want's as much of the gear in the box as possible (so no mounting speakers to the side)

My first thought is a pair of in-ceiling speakers or in-wall to create sound (imaging / audiophile quality are simply not requirements) but if I would do better with another arrangement: advice encouraged. Picked almost at random:
Dayton Audio CS620C 6-1/2" 2-Way Ceiling Speaker Pair 300-402

Then using a bass kicker (have considered a transducer. Thoughts?) to get the LF frequencies to vibrate the box:
Dayton Audio TT25-16 PUCK Tactile Transducer Mini Bass Shake 300-389
or perhaps
Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker 299-028

Next: I'm guessing I'm going to need a low-pass filter to power the kickers; and then 4 amp channels (2 for the speakers, 2 for the kicker(s)). I'm trying to stay cheap here.

One thing I'm considering is a 10-year-old 5.1 avr from a pawn shop or the like with 5.1 inputs on the back. Then I'll take the source, y-cable the left and right channels, put a low-pass filter onto (say) the LS/RS inputs and use that to power the kicker(s).

Maybe these: FMOD Crossover Pair 70 Hz Low Pass 266-252

Or do I need to go a different route? I could use the sub-out on an old 5.1 to feed an external amp: Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC Provides Power To Computer Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Headphones, And More! 300-383

I could use 2 such amps and the y-cable and filter; but costs seem to start climbing and I'm trying to stay as inexpensive as possible.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I've seen installations like this. Basically where user activity (like sitting, walking a certain way, etc.) act as basically a synth or something similar. Some of them are really cool.

What's the box look like? Do you have a photo or at least dimensions? Like is it just a white box he wants music to play out of?

I was going to say transducers for the bass (the vibration really makes the feeling of bass), and then array full range drivers so if it's in the middle of the room the sound level is even. Then I'd use something like a dbX Driverack to tinker with the sound to get it the way he or she WANTS it to sound. Or I think Behringer makes something similar if he/she needs it a little cheaper. For source I'd just bluetooth it. :)

I'd have it all self contained in case it gets displayed at other galleries. Paint is generally fine at a gallery, but, cutting the wall for speakers not so much.

so, give me more info!

Cool project btw :)

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Sadly, time is/was short and budget is low (<$500).

I think the closest thing in size and shape is a doctor's exam table. Source is not really a problem. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something in parts/layout.
There's power to the box. The speakers will be mounted in-box as well. HQ sound is not a problem.

Yes, they are after the feeling of bass... vibration on the box.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Sorry for delay, I forgot to subscribe and check back. Here's a thanks in return lol.

I'd use one full range speaker and run it in mono through a two channel amp, then the second channel I'd use for a transducer. Then just plug the source directly into the amp.

The full range driver I'd just get something cheap, like this: GRS 8FR-8 Full-Range 8" Speaker Pioneer Type B20FU20-51FW 292-430

There are other full range drivers on there, that's just the first cheap one I saw. That keeps you from needing a crossover. Can buy two if you want stereo or its important to the installation, reflect them off the walls. Or four, since they are so cheap.

For the vibration the best thing is to mount transducers directly to the box. Subwoofer will pressurize and vibrate it a bit, but, not like a transducer, and that full range driver goes pretty deep.

The idea is to sit on it? Hehe. Like a Sibian? lol

Then I'd spend the money on the Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker. About the same power handling as the full range driver, so, could use a 2 channel amp.

Then you use that Dayton 50w 2 channel amp.

Then for the subwoofer use those low pass things.

Done!

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Even though the rating is about the same from reviews, keeping in mind they were purchasing with the expectation of a 14 dollar driver, here is one thats a little better and still pretty cheap:
Dayton Audio PS220-8 8" Point Source Full-Range Neo Driver 295-346

I still like the full range idea so there isn't a crossover involved and the larger 8" simply for the surface area and sensitivity.

I'd probably use a sealed enclosure so you could naturally roll the driver off, ported with cheap drivers and amps can spell mess.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis