Advice on speaker placement 7.1/DTS X

S

sinus

Audiophyte
Hi guys,

writing to you from Sweden this is my first post here. I need some advice from the forum regarding speaker placement in a 7.1 setup.

I have a set of Canton Ergo speakers for a 7.0 setup (but I need to invest in a 7.2 DTSX- receiver and a sub, in order to realize my plans). The surrounds are dipol and the rear are monopol. The goal is to give DTS-X the best basis with the speakers I have. Since DTS-X dosen't give any advice on speaker placement I guess a 7.x setup would be the best foundation? Mounting speakers in the ceiling is also a no go due to WAF. The video is generated by a projector, and the picture has a offset to the left some 6,5 feet when looking at it from the couch, due to the layout of the room. This means that the front and center are also offsetted in the same way.

Here is where I need the forums advice. I assume the rear speakers are best placed some 2 feet above the ears when sitting down, which is where I roughly placed them in the attached photo. Where do you suggest is the best placement for the surround dipols? Alternative #1, #2 or something else?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

S

sinus

Audiophyte
Here is some more information,

in alternative #1 the dipoles end up just slightly above the ear level if null area is @ 90 deg. If I place them higher up they end up slightly in front of the listening position. But the wall is angled there so I don't know how that will impact the reflected sound. The distance between them (Rs/Ls) is greater then in alternative #2, but the distance to the Left surround (Ls) is greater then to the Right surround (Rs) from the listening position.

In alternative #2 the dipoles can be placed 2 feet above the ear level, but then they end up slightly behind the listening position. The distance between them also shrinks. And the WAF is lower for this placement.

So what do you think would be a better placement for movies and DSTX or 7.x?

Here is a link to my dipoles: www cnet com/products/canton-ergo-r52-speakers/specs/
Here is a link to my rear spekers: www cnet com/products/canton-ergo-f-speaker-wired-series/specs/
Center: www hifi-review com/151847-canton-ergo-cm-400-dc.html
Front (still kick ass): www cnet com/products/canton-ergo-rc-l-speakers/specs/

The setup can be treated as vintage, but I like old stuff :)

S

Stampede

Enthusiast
Nice lounge, sure the wife had alot to do with the style.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but if in-ceilings are not an option then DTS-X is out as well as it adds height speakers. You do have a bit of a difficult space to work with.

Another option is go 5.2(dual sub) as I feel that will add way value to your listening experience then DTS-X/Atmos or 7.1.

I know that isnt what you asked, so if you must persue the 7.1, Ls2 and Rs2 position are my vote.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thats a lot of speakers very close to your head, I think 5 channel surround and at least 2 subwoofers (5.2) would be your best option! Buy quality over quantity!

S

sinus

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice guys and yes, my wife is responsible for the styling. But I tend to destroy that with electronics and gadgets

Regarding the speakers, I just want to make best use of what I already have. In-ceilings are not an option, but that led me to the idea of placing the rear surrounds as front high instead. They are a bit large though. What do you think about that?

Regarding 2 subs they should be identical I presume, but would 2 similar be OK?

S

Stampede

Enthusiast
Hi Sinus,

I think having the 5.2 will be a happy compromise between sound quailty and aesthics. As the warrior has mentioned, too many surround speakers around there is going to look cluttered and sound too distracting. A quailty 5.2 will sound better then a sloppy 7.2.

I dont think anyone has experience with DTS-X yet, so I cant really advise on front heights. Maybe move the rears further apart above the llistening position in 5.2 config, that will serve you better.

Ideally the subs should be identical, as the power output should match. I think audioholics has an article /video on this and about dual subwoofer placement and setup. Try as much as you can to get exactly the same sub.

Remember, happy wife=happy life. Enjoy.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Regarding 2 subs they should be identical I presume, but would 2 similar be OK?
They do not have to match but the lesser capable one will determine your output and extension limit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis