Advice on picking speakers

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm currently running a 2.1 system with Ascend CMT-340 SE mains and an Outlaw LFM-1 EX. I've had this setup since 2009, and recently made the decision to upgrade my mains to Philharmonic BMRs after an extensive review of monitors in the 1500-3000 price range. I was very impressed with my demo of the BMRs, and I plan to post a review once I've had a chance to form some solid impressions of them. In the meantime, I can say that even though I ultimately decided that I've outgrown my Ascend CMT-340s, and I prefer the BMRs to the Ascends, I have no regrets over that initial purchase. The Ascend CMT-340s punch far above their weight, and they are well matched to the Outlaw sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking forward to reading your write up of the BMRs!
Curious what other monitors in the $1500-$3000 range you heard.

T

Thunder240

Audioholic Intern
Thanks, I'll post sometime in the next two weeks.

Here are the list of monitors I auditioned, other than the BMR, that were in my price range:

Revel M106
Amphion Argon3
Proac Tablette Anniversary
Paradigm Prestige 15
KEF R300
Robson Regis

And the ones I "auditioned" that were above my price range and so not true contenders:

Totem Element Ember
Sonus Faber Olympica 1
Focal Electra 1008 BE2
B&W 805 D3

While I didn't make any effort to compare the BMRs to the latter four speakers, I also didn't have any sort of heartburn about not having a higher budget that could have enabled me to buy any of them. The BMRs gave me everything I was looking for. Their closest competition was the Amphion, which gave me a sense of being in Row 1, and which had a low end that was almost (but not quite) as strong as the BMR's.

Of course there were several others if have liked to have auditioned that I couldn't find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis