Advice on new sub please...in wall if possible

034runner

Audiophyte
Bar/TV viewing area measuring 900 sq ft. Front have is the TV area, back half is the Bar area.

Speaker setup is Speakercraft MT6 for FL and FR (wall), AIM LCR3 One for Center (wall), AIM8 Ones (ceiling) for RL and RR. In the back by the bar, I'll most likely install 2 CRS8 speakers in the ceiling purely for music, all at 8Ohm impedence.

I assume I need a sub, any suggestions? I would prefer an in wall for a nice clean look. So if possible, any suggestions for both in wall and standing? Looking to stay under $200, perhaps up to $250. And would I need an amp for this sub or will the AV receiver provide enough power? (Current receiver is 90W/C @ 8Ohm, 175W/C @6Ohm)

By the way, I plan on using my TX-SR606 Onkyo receiver from my family room and will buy something cheap for up there. This receiver will allow me the two zones (bar and TV area), not sure if it has any shortcomings so feel free to point them out. The one I'm worried about is the Pre-Out for the sub on this receiver. Is that an inferior connection?

This noob says thanks

Last edited:

034runner

Audiophyte
Can I get away with a free standing sub without an amp? Say the Bic F12 perhaps?

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Breaking some bad news.....

Bar/TV viewing area measuring 900 sq ft. Front have is the TV area, back half is the Bar area.

Speaker setup is Speakercraft MT6 for FL and FR (wall), AIM LCR3 One for Center (wall), AIM8 Ones (ceiling) for RL and RR. In the back by the bar, I'll most likely install 2 CRS8 speakers in the ceiling purely for music, all at 8Ohm impedence.

I assume I need a sub, any suggestions? I would prefer an in wall for a nice clean look. So if possible, any suggestions for both in wall and standing? Looking to stay under $200, perhaps up to $250. And would I need an amp for this sub or will the AV receiver provide enough power? (Current receiver is 90W/C @ 8Ohm, 175W/C @6Ohm)

By the way, I plan on using my TX-SR606 Onkyo receiver from my family room and will buy something cheap for up there. This receiver will allow me the two zones (bar and TV area), not sure if it has any shortcomings so feel free to point them out. The one I'm worried about is the Pre-Out for the sub on this receiver. Is that an inferior connection?

This noob says thanks
For your size room you would have to spend literally 20x- 40x your stated budget to get any sort of substantial bass. By substantial, I mean anything that would even remotely start to work well enough & move enough air to be considered low enough for a movie.

In wall subwoofers for home theater are a luxury solution that's very expensive & typically require multiple units to work properly. Even if you designed something on your own you would still blow that budget out of the water. Add that to the fact the volume of your room is large & there's just no way to make it work on that budget. You could easily spend around $2,000 on an in wall sub system (an amp + dual 8" sub + dual 8" sub) for a 14x19x8 room and still struggle mightily if your placement was off.

For what you're looking to spend I would look at the Dayton Subwoofers from Parts Express. They are not in-wall, but they will fit your budget.

Sorry to break the bad news. :(

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Can I get away with a free standing sub without an amp? Say the Bic F12 perhaps?
Negative. You absolutely need a subwoofer with an amp built in. Most have this. Your budget will not allow for a separate amp. Unless your room is wired to where you can only use a passive sub just get your normal, avg, everyday powered sub.

034runner

Audiophyte
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not looking to be absolutely blown away by my home theater experience so I guess the question is, if my room is too big, should I even get a sub?

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not looking to be absolutely blown away by my home theater experience so I guess the question is, if my room is too big, should I even get a sub?
I hear the "Not looking to be blow away" all the time from clients. And that's a totally understandable position. I would suggest taking a more practical stance. Think of it like this: I'm out to spend my money, but not waste it. There is a BIG difference. So, what's the closest thing to your budget and how do you quantify that?

Look, you have been posting & responding a fair amount, which tells me that you obviously want something to happen sound wise in your room. NO PROBLEM! Your budget that you've outlined in this and a few other threads will allow for acme level of noise to be had in your room. Will it be the ULTIMATE? Nahhhhh, but it could be decent. YES YES YES get a subwoofer. In fact, for your room I would get 2 and put them either in separate corners or even side by side together in one corner.

Staying around your budget I would get 2 of these when they come back in stock next week..... http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635. With shipping two fo these are a few $s above your budget, but will absolutely NOT be a waste. Is this a be all end al for everybody? Nope! For your budget and room? It will do fine with the rest of your speakers.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck!

034runner

Audiophyte
Thanks, you've been a tremendous help. So to run 2 subs, I assume an amp is necessary. The basic amp will due I'm guessing? That adds to my budget but I can probably cut corners elsewhere to fit it in.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Thanks, you've been a tremendous help. So to run 2 subs, I assume an amp is necessary. The basic amp will due I'm guessing? That adds to my budget but I can probably cut corners elsewhere to fit it in.
You absolutely do need an AV Receiver (some people still call these AMPs but that's not really correct any more. An AMP is an AMP. A RECEIVER is a RECEIVER.... but has an AMP built into it). You do NOT need an external sub amp. Here's why.....

1st: You're thinking back to the days of what were called a "Passive" subwoofer. Today, and for the past 12 years(ish) - NOT banging on you, just trying to educate :) - "active" or what is more commonly refered to as "powered" subs are incredibly common. These subwoofers do NOT need an external amp. They have their own built in. Get a $300-$350 Onkyo/Pioneer/Denon and you'll be fine with the other budgeted speakers you were asking about. I would recommend Onkyo or Pioneer because they're simplest to set up. Pioneer has a $200 model if it really comes down to budget. It really doesn't matter which brand you pick, but I would highly recommend any of those three.

2nd: How to install....

Although they can be used as passive, do NOT use speaker wire. Use a decent shielded RCA cable. *To better understand.... CLICK the link in my post with the subwoofers. There is a picture of the back of the sub...... From the back of the receiver there is a SUBWOOFER PRE-OUT..... You run a SINGLE shielded RCA into the "INPUT" of one of the subs (it doesn't matter red or white jack), then run a single shielded RCA from that subs "OUTPUT" into the 2nd subwoofer's "INPUT". Then, they both get plugged into the wall. ------- Because they have powered amps already built into them.

Setting this up properly might require you to play with what's called a "Phase Control" adjustment on the back of the sub. But that's only done after you've set everything up. Two subwoofers corner loaded in your room will give you more output. Set apart usually yields a smoother bass response in the room. Every room/system/wants/needs/ is different. So that part is up to you.

Hope this helps!

annunaki

annunaki

Hello,

As was stated earlier doing an in wall sub is not simply cutting a hole in the sheetrock and throwing in a sub. Subwoofer placement is extremely critical to gain great performance, so testing of the location to use is first and foremost.

With the budget that you have specified the sub selection highlighted earlier by IntheIndustry will give you better performance in your room than what you have linked to in your last post.

Please see the build thread in my signature for an in-wall sub if you want to get an idea of how to do it right.

Last edited:

034runner

Audiophyte
Fair enough. Just wondered if anybody had any experience with that in wall.

So for your install of 2 subs, is what you mentioned the preferred setup? Or can I get a Y splitter and connect them both directly to the back of the receiver? Or does it not matter?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis