Advice on choosing new HT receiver

C

ChrisSovari

Enthusiast
I am looking for advice on purchasing a new receiver for around 1000$ CND. My HT room is 14" x 17" and will be used for 35% movies, 25% T.V., 20% Sports, 20% Xbox360. If you were to ask me what I am looking for in a receiver I would say

1. Lot's of HDMI inputs because I have a front projector and I am running one HDMI to it from the receiver so HDMI is the only video source.

2. Would like to have a video processing chip that does a great job upscaling analog inputs to 1080p but even more importantly how well is passes HDMI source through it.

3. Great sound and power (not that I like to crank it but during movies I can appreciate it a little loud, theatre like).

4. Supports new Dolby Digital HD & DTS HD audio formats.

5. Would have liked ethernet to connect to the computer for audio streaming but the models that support this seem to get price to get this feature. (I like the deal ParadigmDawg got on his Denon AVR - 3808CI)

I have been looking at Denon, Yamaha, and Onkyo, but was more focused on the Denon as they appear to be a great receiver in this price range. Below is a list of models I have been comparing and also my links to my current system specs.

Receivers I Have Been Looking At
Denon
Denon - AVR - 2809CI
Denon - AVR - 2309CI
Denon - AVR - 989
Denon - AVR - 889

Yamaha
Yamaha - RXV - 1800B
Yamaha - HTR - 6190B

Yamaha - RXV - 863B
Yamaha - HTR - 6180B

Onkyo
Onkyo - TX-SR706

Here is a list of my current hardware

Front Speakers - 2x Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-70

Center Channel - 1x Energy RC-LCR

Rears - 2x Energy RC-R

Sub - Energy S10.3

Epson 1080UB Projector

Xbox360 Pro

HDTV Tuner

Soon to have a Panasonic Blu-ray Player

Thanks in advanced for any feedback:)

Rogozhin

Rogozhin

Audioholic
I'm a big fan of the pioneer elite receivers, you may want to consider them as well. :)

C

ChrisSovari

Enthusiast
Wow the response is overwhelming, I can’t believe the lack of feedback my thread got after all the details I put in my thread.

Thanks guys!!!

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I've seen the 6190B on sale at BB for $999CDN. If you ask, they might still sell it to you for that price since it is the equivalent to the RX-v1800 which has been replaced by the 1900 already. It's got to be on closeout.

I've found a Denon dealer here that's pretty willing to discount. He offered the 3808 for $1350CDN. That's not far off the deal ParadigmDawg got and once you account for how whacked out Canadian prices are, I think it's a relative steal for that. I'm sure the 2808 would hit your price target at his shop if you can't find a local dealer to deal.

I wish I knew of some deep discount web dealer in Canada to deal with but there doesn't seem to be any. Whereabouts are you in Canada? If you can't find a deal local to you, I can check my dealer's prices and stock and see about hooking you up. I know he's got the 2808 in stock now.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Look At Marantz SR5003

I have Marantz now and in the past ( have older 1060 setup in office) and have had very good experience with it. I have also had good experience with Yamaha AVRs. I had a Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX but had poor experience with reliability (Video component switching failed and would power off intermittently) and Pioneer Tech support

SR5003 Dolby TrueHD / dts-HD Master Audio AV Receiver
$899.00 ( from Canadian web site, MSRP Canadian)
http://ca.marantz.com/Products/2153.asp

The SR5003 surround sound A/V receiver answers the needs of all but the most demanding audio- and videophiles. With more power and a formidable array of behind-the-front panel technologies, it equals separate components in capability and flexibility. And it’s the essence of Marantz – a unique amalgam of style and quality that automatically attracts the connoisseur.
DSD decoding over HDMI
New industrial design
High Bit Rate Audio capability: Dolby TrueHD, dts-HD Master Audio
HDMI v1.3a repeating (3 in/1 out)
Audyssey MultEQ
M-DAX for compressed audio
10bit Video converter to HDMI (interlaced to progressive and scaler)
Dual component video output
Analog and digital multi-zone outputs
In-line seven channel amplifiers/High definition audio design
New FL display
Updated backlit Learning remote controller
<16" Shallow chassis
Various control interfaces: RS-232C, Flasher-in, DC trigger
Multiple radio system (AM/FM/XM/SIRIUS)

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
If the ethernet functions are important to you I would talk to Dave about the deal on gettting a 3808CI. Wait a bit longer and save more money and get the one that has all the features you want.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have been a Yamaha fan for most of my life but I find a lot I dislike about the models they have released the past 2 years. While Denon is still new to me, I am very impressed so far.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, yesterday was slow on here, I couldnt get any help on my network set-up through the AVR. Come on guys!!!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I couldnt get any help on my network set-up through the AVR. Come on guys!!!!!
Now you know why my system is mainly ANALOG!:eek:

If I had the Denon 5308CI or something, I would have helped you out there, Dawg!:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow the response is overwhelming, I can’t believe the lack of feedback my thread got after all the details I put in my thread.

Thanks guys!!!
I think most of us are just not sure how to recommend components for Canada or any other country outside the US because we just don't live there and are not sure what kind of deals you can get there.

For example, in the USA, you could get the Onkyo 805 for $500!:eek:

So what may be a good deal in the US may not be any good in Canada.

I have owned Harman Kardon and Denon components.

I definitely prefer Denon over most makes.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, yesterday was slow on here, I couldnt get any help on my network set-up through the AVR. Come on guys!!!!!
That's one feature you have that I don't. Chalk another one up for the 3808.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I thought the Intrega had an network connection? I am loving the fact that I can play all my music in all zones straight off of my CPU as WAV files!
That's one feature you have that I don't. Chalk another one up for the 3808.

C

ChrisSovari

Enthusiast
Thanks guys for the feedback,

The more I looked at the Denon AVR-3808CI the more interested I got to make it the one for me, the cost is the killer though. I looked at a couple of local dealers and price range was $1600 to $1650CND. My original post said I was looking in the 1000$ range but it appears that spending a couple hundred more could put me in a higher receiver range. If I could find this receiver for $1350CND I would most likely pull the trigger on that one.

Dave,

You mentioned a dealer near you that might sell it at this price range and asked where I live, I live in Cambridge Ontario about one hour west of Toronto. You also mentioned he has the 2808 did you mean the AVR-2809CI? I don’t see a 2808 on Denon’s site. I wanted to do some feature comparing on the 2808CI & the 3808CI but Canadian Denon sites seems to be missing the compare check-boxes on the site and Denon.com/usa isn’t even working at this time.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I'm down in Windsor. The place is Factory Auto Sound. They have just started to get into home theater after decades of family owned/operated car audio business. They are well known and trusted around here. You can call if you want or I can go back to confirm that price. http://www.factoryautosound.com/contact.html

Sorry, yes. He has the 2809 which superceded the 2808.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I thought the Intrega had an network connection? I am loving the fact that I can play all my music in all zones straight off of my CPU as WAV files!
The Integra has an Ethernet connection but only for updates. It lacks the streaming audio and home networking features. Those features are included on the DTC-9.9, but that's not available here yet. I didn't think I needed it anyway since all my music is stored on my Fireball.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks guys for the feedback,

The more I looked at the Denon AVR-3808CI the more interested I got to make it the one for me, the cost is the killer though. I looked at a couple of local dealers and price range was $1600 to $1650CND. My original post said I was looking in the 1000$ range but it appears that spending a couple hundred more could put me in a higher receiver range. If I could find this receiver for $1350CND I would most likely pull the trigger on that one.

Dave,

You mentioned a dealer near you that might sell it at this price range and asked where I live, I live in Cambridge Ontario about one hour west of Toronto. You also mentioned he has the 2808 did you mean the AVR-2809CI? I don’t see a 2808 on Denon’s site. I wanted to do some feature comparing on the 2808CI & the 3808CI but Canadian Denon sites seems to be missing the compare check-boxes on the site and Denon.com/usa isn’t even working at this time.
I can tell you one place, Cambridge TV & Stereo on Hespeler Road. Never mind their list price, ask for deals like what you are look for.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought you reported that you had everything figured out. Do you still need help? If everything is working don't forget to play some HDDVD (or BD if they have that feature). I don't think they do much but it was cool watching the on screen progress indicating bar when the player was downloading info.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I don't have much to offer, other than to say I would prefer the best Denon or Marantz you could afford.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have much to offer, other than to say I would prefer the best Denon or Marantz you could afford.
I heard that.

PENG, Mike, and I have been trying to tell P-Dawg to convert over to Denon, and he finally gave it a shot, and it paid off.

Wow. Music in different zones straight from the PC. That is cool. Maybe one of these days I'll have to convert from analog to this new digital age as well.:D

C

ChrisSovari

Enthusiast
Thanks Peng,

I will check-out Cambridge TV & Stereo on Hespeler Road on my home from work and see what they carry and how much. I also found them late Sat, and they were closed by this time and close Sun, as well.

C

ChrisSovari

Enthusiast
Guys,

Hopefully this is the last question I have for you before I go buy the AVR-3808CI. I was reading this review on CNet and one comment they mention concerns me and I thought I'd better findout.

In there review they mention that "The AVR-3808CI can only output 1080p component video signals over the component video output. It cannot upconvert 1080p component video signals to the HDMI output." does anyone know if this is true and if so what other video sorces cannot be passed through the HDMI output. I am using a front projector and have only run HDMI cable in the wall so this could be a show stopper for me.

Here is the link to the review: http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/denon-avr-3808ci/4505-6466_7-32553611.html

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis