Advice on choosing new HT receiver

C

ChrisSovari

Enthusiast
I am looking for advice on purchasing a new receiver for under 1000$ CND. My HT room is 14" x 17" and will be used for 35% movies, 25% T.V., 20% Sports, 20% Xbox360. If you were to ask me what I am looking for in a receiver I would say

1. Lot's of HDMI inputs because I have a projector and I am running one HDMI to it from the receiver.

2. All analog inputs upscaling conversion to 1080p would be nice but I could live with analog inputs upscaling conversion to 1080i as I don't expect much use of these inputs.

3. Great sound and power (not that I like to crank it but during movies I can appreciate it a little loud, theatre like).

I have been looking at Yamaha's and Onkyo's but was more focused on the Onkyo. The Onkyo 606 has the features but lacking in the sound and power.

Below is the equipment I will be connecting with this receiver.

Epson 1080UB Projector
Xbox360
HDTV Tuner
Front Speakers - 2x Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-70
Center Channel - 1x Energy RC-LCR
Rears - 2x Energy RC-R
Sub - Energy S10.3

M

m5isa540

Audioholic Intern
Suggest you poke around at local audiophile stores and online for a deal on a used/open box AVR. There are some great deal out there. For example, I was able to purchase a used B&K 150W AVR505 for $1200 (about $2500 new). But I returned it because I couldn't live without HDMI. And I just sold my Yamaha HTR6090 (120W X7) for $400. Lots of good deals out there if you take the time to do the research.....

C

ChrisSovari

Enthusiast
Thanks m5isa540 but I was kinda hoping someone could point me in the right direction as some models to look for. I don't have a good knowledge with receivers and matching one to power these speakers so if someone out there knows of some good newer receivers that will be a good match with my speakers and have some of the features I was looking for I will take your advice and look for sales or my best buy for my money.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Actually the 606 should drive the RC-70s

I am looking for advice on purchasing a new receiver for under 1000$ CND. My HT room is 14" x 17" and will be used for 35% movies, 25% T.V., 20% Sports, 20% Xbox360. If you were to ask me what I am looking for in a receiver I would say

1. Lot's of HDMI inputs because I have a projector and I am running one HDMI to it from the receiver.

2. All analog inputs upscaling conversion to 1080p would be nice but I could live with analog inputs upscaling conversion to 1080i as I don't expect much use of these inputs.

3. Great sound and power (not that I like to crank it but during movies I can appreciate it a little loud, theatre like).

I have been looking at Yamaha's and Onkyo's but was more focused on the Onkyo. The Onkyo 606 has the features but lacking in the sound and power.

Below is the equipment I will be connecting with this receiver.

Epson 1080UB Projector
Xbox360
HDTV Tuner
Front Speakers - 2x Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-70
Center Channel - 1x Energy RC-LCR
Rears - 2x Energy RC-R
Sub - Energy S10.3
The RC-70s are vry effcient speakers : Anechoic sensitivity is given as 92dB (approximately 95dB in a typical room). So that the Onkyo 606 at 90 watts RMS should drive them fine. Howver, you need to got to at least the Onkyo 705 to get pre-outs. Then you could always add a Emotiva XPA-2 amp is the sound isn't ear-splitting-loud enough for you.

Some other AVRs to consider, my recommendation Marantz SR5002. Same power, but has pre-outs if you need to add a seaparet amp llater. On Pricegrabber you can buy one for $549 with free shipping.

Anotherone to consider Yamaha-663, 95watts RMS, pre-outs and can be purchased for as little as $374 http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/item_detail.php?item_id=117854&pg=1

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I'm always clueless on availability and pricing up in CA. But I typically recommend something like the 663 + Emo amp for about $850 total. But, perhaps you don't need an outboard amp as midcow thinks. In which case, instead of spending on the amp, you can use that money towards upscaling.

However, I wouldn't look towards the receiver to upscale unless you can obtain Realta/Reon. I think the Onkyo 875 might have dropped to about 1k.

Anyways, I usually think something like these price points

$400 = yam 663
600 = onkyo 805
850 = 663 + emo
past that = whatever you want

But, I never really considered upscaling pre/pros-receivers very seriously. Would've been nice to have before, but now I have no use for it anyways.

-j

C

ChrisSovari

Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback, the one main issue that stands out related to the 663 is only two HDMI in.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Ah.

well, how about the 875 for $1k?

you could do 805 + emo for about $1.1k.

but i think the 875 might be plenty, depending on other factors (listening distance, minimal impedance, etc). Top notch upscaling hopefully.

the 805 has 3 inputs, not sure about 875. even with the 875, you can always add an amp later if you wanted.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
M

m5isa540

Audioholic Intern
Thanks m5isa540 but I was kinda hoping someone could point me in the right direction as some models to look for. I don't have a good knowledge with receivers and matching one to power these speakers so if someone out there knows of some good newer receivers that will be a good match with my speakers and have some of the features I was looking for I will take your advice and look for sales or my best buy for my money.
My point is, once you have figured out what your want and can afford, ratchet up to the next best model and see if you can find a used one. That way you may end up with a better AVR for the same or less money. The key here is to do lots of research. It can take weeks to make a final decision about which AVR to buy. There are lots of good choices out there. Start at the top and work down to what you think you can afford. You will learn a lot by studying the good midrange audiophile systems first.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis