Advice on budget projector.

K

Kory

Enthusiast
I recently posted a thread asking peoples opinions about getting a tv or projector. I am almost positive i am going with the projector. I found these two on ebay and they are just in my price range $500 to $800 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...gory=75409&rd=1 and http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...gory=75412&rd=1
Is this a good one? How will games and DVDs look on it?
Also about how far away will i need to place the projector to get about a 60" image?
How dark will the room need to be?
Thanks for you help.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Kory,

Read my response to your (identical) original query at the foot of the post listings within this category.

Regards

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Your eBay links are nonfunctional. As for the darkness level, the darker, the better.

Optoma H31 for $1029 shipped

If you can swing a couple hundred dollars more you can pick up an Optoma H31 with 3-year warranty and free shipping from Visual Apex.

Here's the link

A bit more reliable than eBay and a 3-year warranty ain't too shabby.

Here's my review

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
KORY - $1,000 - That's what it takes to do this. Stop looking at eBay for budget used projectors as they all will probably need a new bulb which will cost you $300 -> $500 right away.

There are a few $1K projectors right now that should be near the top of everyone's list.

1. The Optoma H31 (853x480) supposed to be a bit better and more quiet than the InFocus SP4805
2. The InFocus SP4805 (853x480) - (I have seen this) which is just stunning with excellent color and good brightness.
3. The Sanyo PLV-Z2 (1280x720) - With the Z3 on the market, lots of vendors are trying to move this one year old model. It's still brand new with warranty. A drop in contrast, but it is 720p instead of 480p and includes lens shift. Great value, but I would say a slightly better overall image would come from the H31 or 4805, just not as sharp and not as versatile for setup.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Out of those 2 on eBay. The Infocus 4800 would be the better deal by far. Better contrast, double the bulb life, was manufactured in 2003 and stop shipping March of 2005(compared to 2001 for the NEC) The Infocus is surely quieter. The only plus for the NEC is that it has DVI over the Infocus RGB Component. They both have about the same focal lenght to produce a 60" image.

NEC to get 60" is min.8'1" max is 9'8" sweet spot would be for around a 96" image at 15'8" away.
Infocus to get 60" is 7'4" max is 8'9" sweet/good spot for around a 96" image at 14'5" away.

OOPS have a friend who has a Backup InFocus 4800, By chance it happens to be one of the only (I'm sure there are tons more) that can not be ceiling mounted upside down. Not sure on the NEC.

I see that the eBay seller says its an open box for the InFocus. But does say 7 day DOA. So if by chance you get it, take a look at the bulb. Any carbon build up and it is quite used. And then BMXTrix would by all means be right, because after 500.00 on projector and you have to buy a 300.00 bulb right away, then you could have gotten one of the choices he has listed....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis