Advice on Audio System

M

mbox

Audiophyte
Hello,

We rarely watch television (maybe once or twice a week), but listen to music all the time, so we're looking for some advice about an audio system that won't be used with a television right away. I would like for most components of whatever audio system we get to be able to eventually be used with a traditional home theater set-up, though.

My original plan was to purchase all components of the $5000 system suggested on this site, minus the television (which we would add next year maybe). When I had someone come around to look at wiring (CEDIA-certified), though, he thought this was way too much for the room and for what our plans are. He suggested that we purchase two good bookshelf speakers to put on the shelves described below plus a receiver and cd changer.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone has on speakers, receivers, etc., including brands/models that would fit with what our plans are. We can probably swing around $2000 or $3000. Of course less than that would be just fine.

In case it would help, here are some details about the room. The room we are planning to install the system in is 18 feet by 14 feet. One 18 foot wall has a large stone fireplace, and the sofa is along the ther other 18 foot wall. One 14 foot wall is mostly glass and the other is mostly bookcases with a larger opening into a dining area. Both the living room and the dining room have cathedral ceilings.

I'll be very thankful for any advice since I am a total neophyte!

Best regards

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off WELCOME to the site. This place is incredible and you will get a lot of information in here for sure.

One thing you will become aware of, a lot of people have preferences as to specific speakers and their sound. Understand that a large good quality floor standing speakers with say 8" drivers when driven hard will give you a more powerful sound than say that same manufacturer’s 6" floor standing speaker. I am sure you are aware of that it is just a statement, so you can kind of gather the scope of sound from speaker sizes. Also do not forget that the center channel and subwoofer are the 2 most important speakers to spend money on for HT. SO if your plan is to by now and have them for future HT (Home Theatre) then don't skimp on these two components.

Your room is not massive, how high are your ceilings?

The Set-up suggested here, you can guarantee, would be awesome. The Axiom speaker line has a lot of loyalty and garners high approval factors and review scores. I would recommend that you go out and invest some time and listen to as many speaker manufactures as you can. Also many manufactures offer a free in-home trial period. Axioms' is 30 days. I don't think they get a lot sent back to them. Just as an informational tool for you to do some searching, you could also check out av123.com, mirage speakers, Polk, svsubwoofers.com, who also are coming out with their own bookshelf speakers as well look in their news section on their website. These are just a few of the many manufactures that are out there. Again I suggest that you listen to as many as you can, then for the ones that you can not listen to, look up CUSTOMER reviews on the net. See what the people that have bought and have in their home think of the particular brand of speakers.

The recommendation on the subwoofer is hard to beat as well. The Rocket sub got a great review on this site as well. Again trust the information in the reviews on this site. These guys don't play around, if it is great they tell you, if it is good they tell you, if it is not, they tell you. You can also look at SVS, HSU, Velodyne and Axiom as well for a subwoofer. Again you would not be going wrong with the Rocket for sure. Just want you to be aware of other great contenders.

You may want to consider another receiver as when this article was written, HDMI switching was really not out. You may want to look at Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz, Harmon Kardon, etc. all of them now offer HDMI (High Definition Media Interface) switching, basically a type of cable connection that carries High definition audio and video at the same time. The receiver manufactures above all have receivers that accept and transmit HDMI I believe.

As far as the system being too much, do you drive your car as fast as it will go ALL the time? No! Do you like to have power to pass though, sure you do!!!!!!!!!! It is not a question as to too much, as much as it is a question of what sounds good. Most all decent HT set-ups can be driven to intolerable decibel levels, and remove things from walls and shelves, and most of us (especially those with attached neighbors) never drive them that hard. But sometimes there is nothing quite like great sound cranked up, I am sure you know what I am talking about!!!!! So don't worry about too much, because you can never have too much good sound!!!!

I hope this helps you out, and again welcome!!!!!!

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
2 channel setup

I think that the Axiom M60's ($900) and a Yamaha RX-V2500 ($6-800) would make a good 2 channel music system and a great foundation to your HT.

If you purchase full range floorstanding speakers like the Axioms above, then you will be able to hold off on the subwoofer purchase for a while. If you decide on a bookshelf-type system, than you will want to purchase a sub for your 2 channel music.

Concerning wiring costs, consider Do It Yourself solutions like shoving wiring under baseboards, under carpet, behind crown molding, or using cable tracks to keep costs down.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
mbox said:
Hello,

We rarely watch television (maybe once or twice a week), but listen to music all the time, so we're looking for some advice about an audio system that won't be used with a television right away. I would like for most components of whatever audio system we get to be able to eventually be used with a traditional home theater set-up, though.

My original plan was to purchase all components of the $5000 system suggested on this site, minus the television (which we would add next year maybe). When I had someone come around to look at wiring (CEDIA-certified), though, he thought this was way too much for the room and for what our plans are. He suggested that we purchase two good bookshelf speakers to put on the shelves described below plus a receiver and cd changer.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone has on speakers, receivers, etc., including brands/models that would fit with what our plans are. We can probably swing around $2000 or $3000. Of course less than that would be just fine.

In case it would help, here are some details about the room. The room we are planning to install the system in is 18 feet by 14 feet. One 18 foot wall has a large stone fireplace, and the sofa is along the ther other 18 foot wall. One 14 foot wall is mostly glass and the other is mostly bookcases with a larger opening into a dining area. Both the living room and the dining room have cathedral ceilings.

I'll be very thankful for any advice since I am a total neophyte!

Best regards
The best advise anyone can give you is to take your own music CD's and movie DVD's that your familier with and go audition yourself. Have fun with this. Take your time.

From what you've said, I would recommend Paradigm Studio 20's ($800 a pair). The sound is full, and has great mid-range for music listening. They are about the best value in bookshelf speakers in this price range. In fact my opinion is you'd have to spend a lot more to get the sound of the Paradigm's.

For a receiver I would say the Denon 3805 ($899-$999). A few months ago it was $1199. It's a great receiver, and will give you the options to up-grade in the future (more speakers, better speakers). Denon is a very reliable manufacturer, and the 3805 is a very versatile component.

One other speaker is the Mackie 824's ($1200 a pair). They are about as neutral a speaker you can get. And awesome for music listening. They are a studio monitor self powered speakers. They would make a awesome Music, HT set-up. I would run the Mackie's with an Outlaw Audio 990 Preamp/Processer.

And is you want the best in clean, clear, undistorted bass. Look no further then SVS subs. SVS is number 1 is customer service. E-mail Tom at SVS and give him details of your room size. Tell him what your using your system for and he will recommend a sub that's right for your set-up. They will NOT oversell you.

Good Luck.

www.paradigm.com

www.svsubwoofers.com

www.outlawaudio.com

www.mackie.com

http://www.mackie.com/products/studiomonitors/index.html

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I've got to agree that if you are going to start off with 2 channels that floorstanders are the way to go. Here are two of my favourites: Psb 6T: http://www.soundcity.com/products/2384.html

Monitor Audio S10 (I love these speakers to no end, I am a huge PSB fan but I would love to own these guys): http://www.soundcityoutlet.com/product/74/6725

For a DVD player I'd suggest the Panasonic S77, retail of around $250. Not that pretty looking but for the technology and quality in this unit the price is more than reasonable IMO. This DVD player is an excellent CD player and will allow you to try out DVD Audio when you move to a HT setup. It is not a multi disc player but it is a GOOD all around performer.

For a Receiver I'd say you could pick between the following: Denon 3805 ($729 at Dakmart), a Yamaha 2500, a Harman Kardon 635 or above (for around $800 on their authorized ebay website:http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm ) or Audioadvisor.com is selling Marantz 7400 Receivers for $600 and that is a great price on a receiver that is more than up to the task IMO. They are also selling a Marantz cd changer for $197 that retailed for $319 before.

If you insist on bookshelfs then Definitive technology and M&K make bookshelfs that will pump the bass out. M&K is more famous for HT speakers than for music speakers, but I still like their sound for music myself. You will need a sub to fill in the lows and I'd suggest the HSU STF-2, or an Outlaw sub to do the trick. There is nothing wrong with SVS, I've just never heard the subs myself.

S

superjohnny

Enthusiast
jcPanny said:
I think that the Axiom M60's ($900) and a Yamaha RX-V2500 ($6-800) would make a good 2 channel music system and a great foundation to your HT.

If you purchase full range floorstanding speakers like the Axioms above, then you will be able to hold off on the subwoofer purchase for a while. If you decide on a bookshelf-type system, than you will want to purchase a sub for your 2 channel music.
In your opinion what would sound better: a pair of M60's or a pair of M22ti's and an AV123 Rocket UFW-10? I'm more concerned with music than HT

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Floorstanders vs. bookshelf

The Axiom M22ti's and Rocket ULW-10 will be my next HT upgrades. The 10" sub will work well for music (see audioholics review) and will play to the 30 Hz range, lower than the M60's.

If you have a large room, like to listen at really high SPLs, or prefer the floorstander look, then go with the M60's. If you have a smaller room and listen at reasonable levels than the bookshef speakers and sub will work great.

Make sure you add in the cost of stands our mounting brackets to the bookshef speakers when comparing to the floorstanders. If you are going the bookshelf route, Axiom's new onwall speakers are another option to consider.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
superjohnny said:
In your opinion what would sound better: a pair of M60's or a pair of M22ti's and an AV123 Rocket UFW-10? I'm more concerned with music than HT
the m60's will probobly sound better, but wont go as low. The clearity is supposed to be a little better though. I own m22ti's and really like them though.

either one would will sound good, just depends on if you want to spend more money later on and get sub, if you buy the m60's.

M

mbox

Audiophyte
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and the great advice! I think we're going to go for bookshelf speakers plus the sub. As far as the receiver, I'm leaning toward the Denon. Still haven't decided on the cd player, though. This is a whole new world to me, so I really appreciate all your help!

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
"CD" player

Before purchasing a "CD" player, do some research on the DVD-Audio and SACD multichannel audio formats. One or both of these formats are played by universal DVD players. I've also found that CD changers are pretty much a thing of the past and you can find a DVD changer with a decent audio section for comparable prices.

B

beta5alphamu

Audioholic Intern
With everything that is out there you have a lot of options. My advice would be to start looking into speakers first. You want to go out and sample as many as possible and start eliminating them one by one. Internet based companies as well are something you may be interested in. With these companies, however, you will have to try them out in your home. you want to get the speaker that sounds best to YOU. If you go by what people recommend in forums you will drive yourself crazy because you will slowly realize that there are a lot of companies out there with excellent products.

The receiver part however is a little easier. You want something that runs 5-800 dollars that gives you everything you need. The denon 3805 falls into this category and thats because the 3806 came out. If you compare the audio between the two , ITS THE SAME! and the 3805 can be had for about 700. Thats a steal! Then you can opt to go with a nice 1500-2300 dollar system that meets your sonic expectations.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis