Advice on adding a 2nd sub to RBH system

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
I recently purchased a RBH CT 5.1 series system from a friend. I am very impressed and pleased. I have been considering getting a second subwoofer and was looking for any thoughts or suggestions. I have been looking at RBH, Axiom, SVS, and Hsu subs. It seems the Hsu offers the most bang for the buck, which I like.

My system is set-up in our living room. The living room isn’t that large, about 24ft W x 12ft L with 9ft or 10ft vaulted ceilings, but there are no walls that separate it from our kitchen (which is about 24ft W x 10ft L with 8ft ceilings), entry way, or hallway.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
Anyone?

I did some measurements and my living room is 2750 cubic feet and the kitchen is 1680 cubic feet for a total of about 4430 cubic feet.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently purchased a RBH CT 5.1 series system from a friend. I am very impressed and pleased. I have been considering getting a second subwoofer and was looking for any thoughts or suggestions. I have been looking at RBH, Axiom, SVS, and Hsu subs. It seems the Hsu offers the most bang for the buck, which I like.

My system is set-up in our living room. The living room isn’t that large, about 24ft W x 12ft L with 9ft or 10ft vaulted ceilings, but there are no walls that separate it from our kitchen (which is about 24ft W x 10ft L with 8ft ceilings), entry way, or hallway.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
I am not familiar with that speaker setup. How big is that sub?

Are you lacking in the low band, the sub band?
If you want more, real bass, either the SVS or Hsu line will do you well. But first be realistic about expectations and the real problem you may have, or not have.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Minimally, the HSU VTF-2 MK3 would be appropriate for your space. You could then use your current sub as a mid-bass module similar to HSU’s MBM-12 for frequencies above 60 Hz to 120Hz-150Hz depending on your receiver’s bass management capability. This configuration should provide more visceral impact.

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
The RBH MS 8.1 has dual 8in subs with a 200 watt amp. Here is a link
http://rbhsound.com/ms8point1.shtml

I'm impressed with what it can do considering the size. But it is rated to only go down to 35Hz. I am looking for something that would complement it and hit the low band.

I'm leaning toward the VFT-2 MK3 but I would love to find a used VFT-3 MK2 as it seems they are nearly identical except for the later having an extra 100 watts.

What would be the best way to set-up my current sub to only handle the mid-bass? Would I need to purchase a separate high pass filter?

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
To run for mid-bass: you’d run the sub-out to the main sub, with its crossover engaged and set to the desired frequency, then out of the main sub to the RBH sub with its crossover set to max. The receiver’s crossover would then be set for 120 Hz or higher.

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
Thanks for the help.

Any ideas on how the VFT-2 MK3 or VFT-3 MK3 would compare to the RBH 1010 SEP? I know that Gene used, not sure if he still does, the 1010 as his reference sub.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Can’t say, but I know the HSUs and SVSs are much less expensive.

OOPS!! The HSU’s don’t have the pre-output required, Instead, you’d simply split the sub out to both subs then engage and set the low-bass sub’s crossover at the desired frequency and set the RBH sub’s crossover to max.

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
I was just looking for a picture to see if the Hsu had a pre-out. My RBH has a pre-out so could I run the cable to the RBH sub first then to the other sub?

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
Given the following choices at the following prices what would you choose? Remembering that the more expensive it is the longer I will need to save up my pennies.

Axiom EP 350v2 $678 + shipping

Hsu VFT-2 MK3 $552 shipped
Hsu VFT-3 MK3 $775 shipped

RBH MS10.1 $400
RBH 1010 SEP $800-900

SVS PB12-NSD $599 + shipping
SVS SB12-Plus $699 + shipping

Other

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
No, you need to use the high-pass filter of the sub with the lower frequency response first to limit the frequency range going to the mid-bass sub. The RBH would have to have a low-pass filter to go through it first.

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
I believe the RBH MS-8.1 has a low pass filter. It has a variable Crossover Frequency of 50-160Hz.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
The low pass switch is used to bypass the sub’s crossover. The crossover consists of a low and high pass filters. The low-pass only allows the frequencies below it to the sub and the frequencies above the high-pass are sent on for use or not.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Not knowing your specific monetary situation or performance expectations makes it difficult to offer purchasing advice but I think I’d use this order for a starting point.

SVS PB12-NSD $599 + shipping
Hsu VFT-2 MK3 $552 shipped
Hsu VFT-3 MK3 $775 shipped
SVS SB12-Plus $699 + shipping
RBH 1010 SEP $800-900
Axiom EP 350v2 $678 + shipping
RBH MS10.1 $400

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
Not to start some lame flame war...just curious. But why would you put the PB12-NSD ahead of the VTF-2 MK3?

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
That's just a judgement call. Those two are comparable to each other with the PB12 having 75 W more power, but it may not be worth the extra ~$!50 to you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis