Advice on Adcom 5503

jinjuku

jinjuku

There is a local Adcom 5503 that looks to be in great condition. The seller is asking ~$425.

Did a bit of googling but couldn't find much in current prices (even on ebay).

So question is: Is it a good deal. Is this something I could get and get rid of if I decided not to keep it?

Thx guys.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Too Funny

It seems that Adcom will allow only esteemed marketeers of fine audio products sell their product. Including KMart...

I shite you not: LINKY

itschris

itschris

Hey Jink. My Adcom 555II 200x2 is about 15 years old and is mint. That amp has got tons of balls. We used to hook it up to my friend's huge electostatics and it would drive them perfectly at full volume. I like Adcom stuff. I still have my changer in my system and I think it sounds flawless.

I don't know about their new stuff, but I'd say any of their legacy equipment is gtg.

R

rumble

Audioholic
I have been using a 5503 for a few years to drive some 4 ohm speakers. This amp is a beast, it can drive the speakers to a volume level as high as I care to go without any kind of problem.

I have posted some pics of the insides of the amp in another thread, http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56545&page=8

note the Coke can sized caps.

Here are some of the specs from the manual:

200 watts continuous average power into 8 ohms at any frequency. 20Hz to 20KHz with all channels drives at less than 0.18% THD

350 watts continuous average power into 4 ohms at any frequency. 20Hz to 20KHz with all channels drives at less than 0.18% THD

Power consumption
quiescent 199VA
200 watts into 8 ohms 855VA
Maximum 1440VA

Make sure to check the shipping costs as it weighs 57 lbs.

If there is nothing wrong with the amp, that is a good price.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis