Advice on a new Sub

V

vosschs

Enthusiast
Hey guys, I am new to this site. I have a decent amount of home theater knowledge. But, this will be my first build other than having in-box systems. I have an ONKYO TX-SR308 5.1 does 65/chan. I am building the speakers yet, but I figured I could post this about sub info.

I am looking to spend around 500, I don't really think 500 in value at a store buying Klipsch or anything will be as much as I can spend online. I just want some ideas, I've heard great things about the ED A3-250... I was just going to get it, but I'd rather have some advice first.

Going in a room about 12 feet by 10 feet. Loudness is not an issue, no one will complain.

My question is, is there anything better under 500? 2 dayton 12's from PE?

V

vosschs

Enthusiast
Anything cheaper is fine too if the value is there? If I can get something that sounds around the ED for 300. I mean I would rather do that, I have no brand preference.

R

RMRM

Audioholic Intern
I like the HSU subs I have a little SFT-1 it still make me smile. I still wish I went bigger like the VFT-1. A room that size I think the VFT-1 would do it. I can't say on the ED subs no history with them but hear good things about them. Happy hunting:D

V

vosschs

Enthusiast
I really like all the advice guys! I'm thinking I really want a 12" opposed to a 10". I really want the deeps to stand out. Anyone have anything that's around 400 shipped? I do like the SVS though, the warranty looks great.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Driver size isn't always the best way to judge extension. I owned the first generation PB-10 and it easily gets down to 18Hz, something none of the other subs mentioned will do and that's pretty impressive for a 10" sub. They also have some of the best customer service ever :)

$400 shipped and good performance to 20Hz is kind of tough, so I'd look at the sub specs and shoot for something that is good to around 25Hz and you will be OK.

Sunfire makes solid subs too, but is that one mentioned going to be $400 shipped? I know that is their new lower cost line, but sunfire isn't known for being inexpensive. The one you linked is brand new to the market, so reviews might be hard to find still.

V

vosschs

Enthusiast
I was contacted with a price for the Sunfire sayign 500 + shipping. I could afford that... I am keeping it in mind along with the Elemental.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I really like all the advice guys! I'm thinking I really want a 12" opposed to a 10". I really want the deeps to stand out. Anyone have anything that's around 400 shipped? I do like the SVS though, the warranty looks great.
Judging by the driver size is a bad idea. When comparing a 10" and 12" subwoofer, that does not tell you how deep it goes or how loud it plays. A good quality 10" woofer is better than a low quality 12" woofer. I recommend that you look at specifications and actual measurements done by professional reviewers instead of judging by the diameter of the woofer.

V

vosschs

Enthusiast
Judging by the driver size is a bad idea. When comparing a 10" and 12" subwoofer, that does not tell you how deep it goes or how loud it plays. A good quality 10" woofer is better than a low quality 12" woofer. I recommend that you look at specifications and actual measurements done by professional reviewers instead of judging by the diameter of the woofer.
Maybe I quoted it wrong, I want a higher quality 12" rather than a high quality 10". Meaning if a high quality 10" is 400, I have no problem spending 500 on the 12" version..

Make better sense?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe I quoted it wrong, I want a higher quality 12" rather than a high quality 10". Meaning if a high quality 10" is 400, I have no problem spending 500 on the 12" version..

Make better sense?
Yes, and if that is the case, then I'd definitely go with a good quality 12.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

Make better sense?
If you want bass down to 20 Hz, for your $500, I think it would be hard to beat this subwoofer with a 10" driver:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm

Maybe someone makes a better subwoofer that goes down to 20 Hz and with a 12" driver at that price point, but if so, I am unaware of it, and it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis