Advice on 2.1 system for apartment and computer use in (Australia, $2k, Apartment)

C

Cthulhu

Audioholic Intern
Got a question about practicalities. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and want a speaker system I can use while playing computer games (50%), watching tv/movies (20%), listening to music (predominately rock, metal and punk) (20%) and using my home gym (10%). Budget is about $2k Australian, though I can flexibly spend as much as $3k if someone can convince me there is a killer app at that level, but I really want to spend that money on a new squat rack. As you can probably guess I don't have a ton of space, and my computer is predominately going to be the source. Having read the Audioholics article I was thinking:

Boston A 360 Floodstanding speakers: ($800) -See Question A.

SVS SB12-NSD or SVS SB-1000 ($700 or $750 respectively)

Yamaha RX-V475 ($420 ish) - I know I don't strictly need it, but bass management features and I can expand to 5.1 later.

Random cabling will blow the rest of the budget.

My questions are

A) I probably want to use this with my computer (my main monitor doubles as my TV) which means sitting relatively close as well - does this mean I should replace the floor standers with bookshelf speakers?

B) Have I missed any insane value picks?

C) Is the sub enough/overkill for the room? I will edit in exact measurements later, but it's not that big - about 25 square meters. I have a collection of headphones for late night listening.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
With a nice sub - the Boston A26 bookshelf speakers will be fine

The SB12-NSD will work, you can always adjust the volume if needed

C

Cthulhu

Audioholic Intern
Is the SB12-NSD or the SB1000 the recommended model? It's not clear cut to me which is best.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The SB12 NSD would be a higher performing sub, that is what I would go for, well worth the extra $50.

C

Cthulhu

Audioholic Intern
It's actually 50$ dollars cheaper, so that makes that a no brainer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis