Advice for turning 2.0 into 5.1?

T

TimDoyle

Audiophyte
Hello All!

I’ve recently determined that, because of an ever-expanding accumulation of music DVD's, DVD-A's, and SACD's, it now makes sense for me to have a 5.1 setup in my listening room. I hope you guys can help me decide what to do. Here is the equipment I have:

-Denon 3805 receiver
-Denon 3910 dvd player
-KEF 105/3 speakers

The room they’re in measures 30’ x 15’, although, due to a home office taking up about half that space, the actual listening area is more like 15’ x 15’. I realize that the KEF’s are way overkill for this room, but I loved them so much when I heard them that I had to have them. So, here’s my dilemma. Do I:

a) Get a center channel, 2 rears, and a sub to go with the KEF’s. If so, does anybody have any suggestions on what would match up with these speakers?
b) Run the KEF’s out of Zone 2 of the 3805 for 2 channel material, and get a sub/sat system
to run out of Zone 1 for all the surround stuff I want to listen to. I’m thinking something along the lines of Gallo or the Tannoy Arena, where I can put the L/R satellites on top of the KEF’s. What I don’t know is if these type of systems are geared more towards movies than music, which matters to me as I will predominantly be using it for music.
c) Bite the bullet and get rid of the KEF’s and buy more closely matched speakers from
scratch.

My musical tastes (or lack thereof) run mostly to hard rock/heavy metal, so please factor that in when making your recommendations. Thanks a lot!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Try to stick with KEF

Are these your speakers? If so, keep them for the front mains! They will be hard to beat with your Denon. The problem you run into is timber matching when going with a different mfg. I would recommend option 1 and purchase the KEF Cresta series 10 for the surrounds and 20c for the center. Gallo's are some pretty cool looking speakers, but I don't know how well they do with rock and heavy metal.

www.kef.com/products/new_cresta/cresta10.htm

Attachments

T

TimDoyle

Audiophyte
Yep, those are mine! Like I mentioned earlier, they're probably way too big for the room I've got them in, but I sure do love the sound. Thanks for your recommendation of the Cresta line; is there any particular reason why you would choose these over something from the Reference, Q, or XQ series? Also, should I even bother adding a sub to this configuation? The 105's do a pretty decent job with bass, would I be getting more with a stand-alone unit?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis