Advice for Speakers to buy

T

twhee6

Audiophyte
Hi. I signed up to this forum in the hope that somebody who knows something about this can give me some good advice. I just purchased an Onkyo Receiver TXSR507 for a good price... but I didn't know what speakers to get with it so I put it off. I live in Brisbane Australia and a lot of the brands discussed in this forum don't seem to arrive in our stores.

In short, I spent $500 Aust. for the receiver and I guess looking to spend no more than $1000 on the speakers (5.1 set up). the room is about 3.5m by 4m. My main reason for the upgrade is to utilize the Hi Def from my new plasma TV and blu-ray player.

I can purchase from Aust. Ebay an Onkyo 5.1 Home Theatre Speaker System with all the speakers for $500 Aust. Is this a good system? I don't mind shopping around but I just don't know what to look for. The local stores mainly have the following brands: Yamaha, Soavo, PSB, Mirage, Linkman, JBL, Mission, Monitor, Paradigm, Jamo.

Obviously I don't expect anyone to do hours of research for me : ) But if you can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. :confused:

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Hi. I signed up to this forum in the hope that somebody who knows something about this can give me some good advice. I just purchased an Onkyo Receiver TXSR507 for a good price... but I didn't know what speakers to get with it so I put it off. I live in Brisbane Australia and a lot of the brands discussed in this forum don't seem to arrive in our stores.

In short, I spent $500 Aust. for the receiver and I guess looking to spend no more than $1000 on the speakers (5.1 set up). the room is about 3.5m by 4m. My main reason for the upgrade is to utilize the Hi Def from my new plasma TV and blu-ray player.

I can purchase from Aust. Ebay an Onkyo 5.1 Home Theatre Speaker System with all the speakers for $500 Aust. Is this a good system? I don't mind shopping around but I just don't know what to look for. The local stores mainly have the following brands: Yamaha, Soavo, PSB, Mirage, Linkman, JBL, Mission, Monitor, Paradigm, Jamo.

Obviously I don't expect anyone to do hours of research for me : ) But if you can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. :confused:
I like the following speakers brands
1)PSB
2)Monitor
not to say the others are bad just haven't had the chance to hear them.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The local stores mainly have the following brands: Yamaha, Soavo, PSB, Mirage, Linkman, JBL, Mission, Monitor, Paradigm, Jamo.
You're lucky as you have some pretty good options in the mix - PSB, Mission, Monitor, Paradigm, and Jamo are pretty well respected (some of the others may be as well, I am just not familiar with them).
Probably the best way to start is for you to grab some of your favorite CD's (preferably well-recorded material) and head to the store for a listen. Take notes on the specific models of speakers you listened to and what you preferred about one over the other.
If you come back with that information, often there is someone here who will be familiar with the speakers you listened to and can make some suggestions based on your comments.
The worst thing is to came back and say, for example, you listened to Paradigms and didn't like them. Paradigm probably makes more than 50 models of speakers.
Last be sure to get the prices for these speakers. All bets are off when trying to guess how the pricing in Australia might compare to that of USA. Usually there is more to it than the exchange rate.

J

jamie2112

Banned
There are some great companies on that list.PSB Monitor Audio, Jamo,Paradigm I would be happy with ANY of those brands.

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
I'd also have PSB and Monitor Audio at the top of my audition list.

G

Gior

Enthusiast

$1000 for a 5.1 speaker system in Australia is kind of a tough ask. At $2000 your options open up considerably but at $1000 it is difficult. If you have a look around at some second hand stuff on stereo.net and dtvforum.info you might be able to score a bargain. Sorry I can't help more, but the 5.1 setup for stuff even remotely considered mid-fi in Australia is pretty hard unless you try hunting on the used market.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis