Adventures In uPnP Media Servers

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Wild Media Server has been fantastic with my Denon X4000 and I believe its Python based. Never an issue playing any of the flac files I have. I've ran it head to head with Plex and find that Plex pales in comparison. I really don't understand why people like it so much, I've found it to be horrible.
You are correct, it is not written in python its written in delphi, though I did say that I thought it may be written in python, not that I was sure. A bit of a rude comment, as I was simply sharing my experience, not pushing snake oil. The software works great for me, and yes it cost me $15 per device to use it but it works in streaming .flac files where Plex more often than not doesn't, at least in my experience.

Sure the Plex gui looks great, but when I open the Network input on my Denon the folders are presented in the same fashion and look identical with both programs as I am using Denon's on-screen display. The difference is when I click on a flac file one works and the other doesn't. Perhaps its a simple xml configuration change that needs to be made on Plex I don't know, but my point is out of the box one works and the other doesn't as it relates solely to streaming flac files. That is the only comparison I was trying to make and I'm sorry if I offended you.

Simply trying to offer my experience.
Dear Brabus, I am partially apologize if my tone came as offending to you. But I felt like facts needed to be straighten out. Which you have agreed with me on most points.
Again, Plex/xbmc maybe an average UPNP server, but you needed to be more specific. I don't think that many would use plex as upnp server, but more likely as plex client & server combo which makes most sense.It certainly doesn't "pale" or "horrible" in comparison if you take in account all of Plex functions

If Flac upnp streaming is your main goal have you tried above mentioned FREE MinimServer software?

brabus

brabus

Audioholic Intern
Yes, I should have been more specific, that is my fault. I use WMS for more than just flac streaming since I currently do not have a HTPC. I imagine once I do build a HTPC I would use XBMC. I had tried to use Plex as a DLNA server similar to how I use WMS, and for that purpose I found it to be lacking in comparison, likely due to compatibility issues with my particular devices. I should have stated these facts and will not make the same mistake again.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Don't sweat it brabus. It's good that you found something you like. It's just that the primary focus of this thread has been freeware, then you contributed what appeared to be a sales pitch for something that wasn't free. I'm sure you can see how a misunderstanding resulted.

Fwiw I haven't had much luck with xbmc as a upnp media server either. But minimserver works great for my evil purposes.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis