Advent Heritage H200 nearly slaps the Canton GLS 2

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Bought these speakers off Ebay for $45 brand new -- the owner had a spare pair, he did open them up for testing. They came looking brand new and no scratches. However hooking them up, they do not remind me of any Advent sound/speaker that I have listened too. With the Advents I listened to in the pass, they tended to be somewhat muddy/boomy or somewhat bright sounding.

The reality is, this is Audiovox playing on, marketing on the Advent name. Audiovox sourced these speakers for Heco, the German speaker company they also owned. They are known as the Heco Krypton 200 in Europe. They have a 5.25 inch woofer and 1 inch dome tweeter -- 11" h x 6.75" w x 10.5" d -- cabinet 5/8" thick and weigh about 10 lbs each

The sound is more on the linear side -- and they have good off axis response. Off axis is more linear than on axis. The somewhat rising treble is not really colored. The bass is there and musical, and about 5 hz shy of the Canton. The sound is clean with no excess sibilance, congestion, or nasal sound. They also throw a nice dimensional soundstage with some good central imaging and separation. The imaging is a little better than the Canton GLS. They for sure are better than the former boomy, and lacking in detail Polk RTi4, and are better than the Sony Core.

The crossover has 11 parts, a hint not of Advent. They were designed for the tweeter to be below the woofer. The cheesy part is the grill and the thin grill pegs. I broke one of the grill pegs. Audiovox did not market them well in the USA. Plus the front of the speakers tend to have more of a HTIB look. However, I can live with the looks a little more than the JBL Studio 5 series.:)

Slde show with some pictures
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=slideshow;album=25165;start=171691

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I see you're getting into the click bait game :p.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So I take it these are no longer available?
Do you know what they usually went for when you they were on the market?
When you say they nearly slapped the GLS, do you mean that they are better or that they almost are better? I saw no mention of anything that the Canton was Superior at other than the five Hz on the low end.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So I take it these are no longer available?
When you say they nearly slapped the GLS, do you mean that they are better or that they almost are better? I saw no mention of anything that the Canton was Superior at other than the five Hz on the low end.
They are almost as good, the imaging has a little more depth and the central imaging is a little better with the Advent -- the Canton is a little more smooth and refined with a little more detail and the Canton bass has a little more spl. You can even tell by looking at the crossover, that Heco did not just piece them together. They were on close-out about 11 years ago -- the marketing was poor, with all due respects to Advent and their heritage, Audiovox should have chosen another name, no former Advent speaker looks like them. This Advent (Heco) is more linear at 45 degrees off Axis, where as the Canton has a happy bump at 45 degrees off axis at 4 khz -- so toeing both speakers in helps in the response.

I did not buy them in the pass, because I was not really a big Advent fan -- when they went on close-out, they were as cheap as $32 a pair. The Ebay seller wanted $59 and I offered $39 -- we settled on $45, and they look brand new. The woofer can be removed, the screws to the front U shape face plate is behind the rubber inserts for the grill. However, I may for once in my life not remove them.:)

It is rare to find any of them now.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I see you're getting into the click bait game :p.
Sometimes there is that gut feeling, that something may sound really nice. A rare gem for the price that was not handled properly. I am impressed with German speaker designers. If a speaker can last more than one day in my room, it has a chance for survival. I may not have so-called golden ears -- however, my silver ears are nit-pickers.:)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
On the market from what I can gather, the 5.25 two-way went for around $199 to $249 a pair. They are hard to find now, and they do not tend to show up on Ebay like some others.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis