Additional Amping for Subs

D

DrFunk

Audioholic Intern
Just a question I've been meaning to ask, but if I add an external amp (eg, ep2000 or ep4000) to my Epik Empire, would that additional boost in power give it a more significant "oomph" factor and help it to reach noticeably higher SPL's and go lower, or would it not amount to that much at all?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The sub already has a built in amp.

Was your intent to remove the built in amp, built in crossovers, and build your own amp and crossover setup to allow the sub to perform a bit better?

I would think that if you were going down this path, then you might as well just make your own custom subwoofer.

D

DrFunk

Audioholic Intern
No..... I already know it has an amp. I'm talking about doing exactly what I said. Adding an external amp (not REPLACE) to feed into the sub, thus adding more power to the existing 600W amp.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Unfortunately, there is no way _ that I am aware of _ to do that. The only thing that you might accomplish _ were it possible _ was a hair more decibles. And to do that, you would have to more than double the existing power. External amplification only works for subwoofers without a built in amp.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
You definitely CANNOT add an amplifier. You could replace it, however. BUT, if you're not happy with its current performance, its probably best to start over. Your current device was designed with certain goals in mind and the components were chosen accordingly. Its very possible that eq'ing the system differently and adding wattage might make it perform noticeably better, but certainly no guarantee. To achieve optimal performance you'd likely have to also change the enclosure. And then, perhaps the driver wouldn't meet the requirements.

It will be a much less painful process to determine your subwoofer needs and begin with a clean slate than to modify what you have.

Thats the generic answer, but perhaps someone with more specific knowledge of that sub and its design could better estimate the benefits of more power.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
No..... I already know it has an amp. I'm talking about doing exactly what I said. Adding an external amp (not REPLACE) to feed into the sub, thus adding more power to the existing 600W amp.
If you do that you will be looking for a new sub very fast. The LFE output to your sub is from a voltage amplifier. You CAN NOT connect a power amplifier to a line input of a sub. First the amp in the sub would be delivering all the power. You would not add 1 watt of power, but you would destroy the sub amp.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you. I now have my answer. :)
Even if your sub has a speaker level input as some do, that external amp will not help one bit as the internal circuitry will reduce the external input power.

Two way of getting more out of your sub: a better sub; increasing the the sub trim in the receiver when you use test tones and trying to level match the sub to the other speakers.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You could in some cases replace the amp. Doing so would require some woodworking to replace the spot where the amp goes. If you have the tools do do that job you have the tools to start from scratch too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis