Adding "super-tweeters" to L100's

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
I have, and daily use, a pair of 1970 JBL L100's (not L100a's, these are vertically aligned and used a different tweeter and crossover)
Those familiar know that on the FR graph, these fall off fairly rapidly after 10khz. I do love the sound of them very much, but have been beginning to think about adding more HF extension to them via the Fostex T90a's or something along those lines (wonder if I've been missing anything up there?).

That particular unit comes with a x-over and a limiting L pad to tune it to the proper level.

Anyways, what I am looking for is input from those far more knowledgeable to the effect of A) would this be even worth the time and $500 to do? B) is there a better option? C) could this actually be detrimental to the sound? and D) any other thing you can think of stating.

(before the deluge of comments about placement, this photo was taken during experimentation with different stands...they are currently on higher stands, in a different area without as much stuff cluttered around!)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Either way you're looking at some crossover work, so I'd think simply replacing the tweeters and finding some help reworking the crossover would be a much more cost effective way to get added high frequency response, not to mention much much cheaper.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
that would be a solid way to go for certain. im a solid builder, but lack the engineering ability to plan that one out. Another concern is that the original, 1st series of these speakers are somewhat valuable, but only in this pristine original condition.
i suppose i should post in the Lansing Heritage forums to look into the idea of bypassing and replacing the OEM crossover and a tweeter that would sonically match well to other drivers, but install without any modification to the cabinet.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
that would be a solid way to go for certain. im a solid builder, but lack the engineering ability to plan that one out. Another concern is that the original, 1st series of these speakers are somewhat valuable, but only in this pristine original condition.
i suppose i should post in the Lansing Heritage forums to look into the idea of bypassing and replacing the OEM crossover and a tweeter that would sonically match well to other drivers, but install without any modification to the cabinet.
That could definitely work. Another option, albeit probably not a practical one, is to go active. This would make tweeter integration extremely easy because you could make on the fly adjustments and really tailor the response of the speaker to get the most out of the drivers. The biggest issue would be amplifier channels. Tweeters + miniDSP 4X10 probably wouldn't be a ton more than the Fostex super tweeters, but the added cost of amplifier channels might put this option out of the realm of possibility. The benefit is that the miniDSP is useable even if you decided to ever retire or sell them. It can be used to add some room EQ, HPF/LPF, or as a crossover for anything you have or might have in the future. Plus if you ever needed to do another crossover the miniDSP acts as an easy way to test the slopes and and other filters before buying parts to make a passive crossover. Could be a better option if you think you may get some use out of the unit later on. If not, then seeking out help with the passive cross and new tweeters would be the cheapest and best solution.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Definitely won't be going that rout. This particular system is as simple as it can get, for what it is. Integrated tube amp, record player and phono pre. The add-on speakers were already pushing it for the aesthetic purposes of what this one is for.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
As somebody who owns Klipsch RF-82's (compared to the current generation, they scream at you) so I understand how bright speakers can get and adding a super tweeter generally adds a very bright signature to the speakers. Or have they evolved since I used to use them back in the late 70's and 80's?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis