Adding sub to old reciever... possible?

D

Devatch

Audiophyte
I have an old marantz reciever. It is only a stereo reciever, and can power 4 speakers. What i want to know, is whether something exisits that can enamble me to add a subwoofer to my system. I have heard of a surround processor, and am thinking that it creates another channel for the reciever, but have no idea how it works, or even if a subwoofer would be considered another channel, and only saw it once, so i dont know how used they are, if at all. So any help on how to add a subwoofer to an older stereo system would be appreciated.

Thank you

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Most subwoofers have low (line level) and high (speaker level) inputs. With the speaker level inputs there is a pair of outputs for connecting your main speakers. At least one sub manufacturer recommends using the high level inputs. :cool:

D

Devatch

Audiophyte
Im quite new to home electronics, so alot of that was alittle grey to me... But do you just mean that i should just plug the sub into one of the speaker outputs and if i do this i will lose one of the speaker connections correct?

Stryf3

Audioholic Intern
close, you plug the sub into both of your speaker outputs (left and right) and the sub has jacks to hook your regular speakers to it. So, it is going between your amp and your speakers.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Most subs have left and right speaker level inputs and left and right speaker level outputs. Connect the receiver's output to the sub's inputs (speaker level) and connect your speakers to the outputs (speaker level) of the sub. There are other ways to connect things but they don't apply here. :cool:

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Assuming that your speakers are bass-challenged, adding a good sub often works wonders by extending the LF response down to where the main speakers won't go any farther. But if they already have good bass, adding a sub can just muddle the LF response and make it unnecessarily boomy for music.

If your Marantz can have both speaker pairs A and B sound simultaneously, you may connect a sub with high level connections (speaker terminals) to the speakers A while maintaining your stereo pairs on speaker B. Just put the sub's crossover to the -3db point of your regular speakers or lower so you can achieve better integration. The suggestions of the other posters will also work.Just FYI, that -3db point is usually where the speakers LF start to roll-off. The -3db point is usually indicated in your speaker manual. IF not the frequency response usually stated as 50hz to 22Khz, the 50hz can be assumed to be the -3db point.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Which Marantz?

First off, make sure that any sub you choose has left and right inputs, not just one input. If not, you're screwed.

Some have preamp outputs and main amp inputs. Check the back. If so, this is a good way to go about it.

If yours doesn't, you will need to buy a sub that accepts two speaker inputs.

Now that you know what you need and what you have, start shopping for a subwoofer

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis