H

harleydave

Audioholic Intern
I recently bought a Yamaha Aventage AVR. Is it worth adding an amp to it? Pros/Cons. My speakers are all Klipsch. Or would I gain more benefit by getting a better Sub.

Bookshelf RP-600mii
Center RP- 504cii
Surround RP-402s
Sub R-121sw

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well klipsch speakers tend to be easy to drive, so it’s not likely you’d need more power unless you’re pushing the limits all the time. A new amp won’t give you a better sonic signature or chocolaty midrange etc.
imo, a better subwoofer would be high on the list.

H

harleydave

Audioholic Intern
Well klipsch speakers tend to be easy to drive, so it’s not likely you’d need more power unless you’re pushing the limits all the time. A new amp won’t give you a better sonic signature or chocolaty midrange etc.
imo, a better subwoofer would be high on the list.
I mostly listen probably 10db below reference and the receiver doesn't seem to be struggling at all. I've been looking at subwoofers within my budget and going between RSL Speedwoofer 12s or SVS. Still undecided.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
I believe a powered subwoofer is the way to go. You shouldn't need any more amp power with your setup.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you don't feel like something is lacking, then an amp won't help you. That sub got a "good" rating here at Audioholics, so I would say upgrading it might be worth while.

H

harleydave

Audioholic Intern
If you don't feel like something is lacking, then an amp won't help you. That sub got a "good" rating here at Audioholics, so I would say upgrading it might be worth while.
Do you recommend adding another of the same sub to have 2, or upgrading and having 1 better one.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would upgrade the one you have with a pair of better ones. I like the rsl over svs. Despite having the best CS in the biz, it comes at a premium. The free two way shipping, the app, and upgrade path etc, comes at a price for all. I don’t need my hand held, so I vote for straight performance which, imo is the RSL 12s. Obviously there is a sea of great subwoofers out there, but for high value, RSL wins for me, plus they also have top notch customer service. This isn’t a knock against SVS, as I am an owner. But my upgrade path is a different direction. I would also recommend you look at Rythmik, PSA, monolith, and maybe starke, just to get more ideas.

H

harleydave

Audioholic Intern
I would upgrade the one you have with a pair of better ones. I like the rsl over svs. Despite having the best CS in the biz, it comes at a premium. The free two way shipping, the app, and upgrade path etc, comes at a price for all. I don’t need my hand held, so I vote for straight performance which, imo is the RSL 12s. Obviously there is a sea of great subwoofers out there, but for high value, RSL wins for me, plus they also have top notch customer service. This isn’t a knock against SVS, as I am an owner. But my upgrade path is a different direction. I would also recommend you look at Rythmik, PSA, monolith, and maybe starke, just to get more ideas.
Unfortunately with Christmas just gone, budget says 1 subwoofer for now.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I hear that. Normally I’d recommend getting the single best sub you can now, and immediately start saving or planning for the second one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I recently bought a Yamaha Aventage AVR. Is it worth adding an amp to it? Pros/Cons. My speakers are all Klipsch. Or would I gain more benefit by getting a better Sub.

Bookshelf RP-600mii
Center RP- 504cii
Surround RP-402s
Sub R-121sw
So the bass doesn't sound very good? What's the reason?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn't sound like you would benefit from the external amp. If you get good pricing on another Klipsch sub like the one you have duals do have an advantage in terms of smoothing room response, but I'd rather have a different sub per some of the William's suggestions.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I would wait until budget stabilizes then. Budget constraints and poor timing with regard to such, tend to cause the most costly compromises and makes no logical sense. Banks hate people who save up for a better quality of life than their framed up financial statistics and packages allow.

ETA: Before upgrading, especially with regard to bass, the next logical step towards upgrades (of any sort, really, or if you haven't already) is the room itself. I have 5 different subs. All of which have been used in this room. I can only put them in one place, conveniently. But, per the sub crawl and some measurements a friend did, all of the subs performed better away from where I have them now. I had to get into DSP to make them work adequately where they are now.

Thing is, most name brand subwoofers range from at least 'good', to better. Meaning, you should at least get a pleasing performance from even the lesser of them. Very few people that are new to this subwoofer thing get it right (including me), even with higher end subs. Some are an absolute disaster and the majority of the problem ends up being room, and placement. Even my budget DIY 10" Peerless subs rock this room in the optimal position, compared to not, and yet again if I install bass traps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis