J

jrayton

Enthusiast
I have a pair of Ohm Super Walsh 2.100-S-3s speakers @6 ohms(15 to 150 watts recommended) powered by the Marantz SR5003 receiver(115 wpc @6 ohms). I've been thinking about getting an amp to give the speakers a little more power, but the amp that I'm interested in is pushing about 175wpc. Would that much power be harmful to the speakers? Am I just wasting my money getting an amp? Any advice is very much appreciated.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Two things: 1) you aren't going to use 100% of the amp's power to drive the speakers at all times. 2) A speaker's power rating is for unclipped signal and a more powerful amp is far less likely to clip even under higher loads, so you shouldn't have an issue.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a pair of Ohm Super Walsh 2.100-S-3s speakers @6 ohms(15 to 150 watts recommended) powered by the Marantz SR5003 receiver(115 wpc @6 ohms). I've been thinking about getting an amp to give the speakers a little more power, but the amp that I'm interested in is pushing about 175wpc. Would that much power be harmful to the speakers? Am I just wasting my money getting an amp? Any advice is very much appreciated.
For those I would get a decent amp.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
For those I would get a decent amp.
I think defining decent is necessary here. I'd recommend a Yamaha P2500S or maybe a Quad amp if the OP can swing it. A 90s rotel amp might fit the bill too. You can get them pretty cheap and they had some very well built ones.

J

jrayton

Enthusiast
Which power amp are you looking at?
A friend of mine has an old Kenwood which he said was rated at 175 wpc. After listening to it, I was not impressed and think he might be stretching the truth a bit. I think I might look into a Emotiva, Nad,or Adcom. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
A friend of mine has an old Kenwood which he said was rated at 175 wpc. After listening to it, I was not impressed and think he might be stretching the truth a bit. I think I might look into a Emotiva, Nad,or Adcom. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
With the Ohm speakers that you have I would get an amp with 250+ Watts. This way you'll get what you've paid for your speakers.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis