Adcom verse the P's, D's, Y's, HK's etc power rating

M

maggie

Enthusiast
Any thoughts on the power ratings and quality of the Adcom 700 or 300 compared to the Pioneer's, Yamaha's etc. Also, for double the price of a similar unit, is the Adcom worth that it? No room for pre-pro's, a receiver is my only option. I keep my equipement for at least 5 years, often till it dies in service.
Thanks for the thoughts.
Maggie

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
What type of speakers are you pushing?

IMO, and having owned Adcom as well as Denon, HK, & Integra (aka Onkyo), I would say Adcom should have more power at the same ratings than the others. You should also consider Rotel or Outlaw if you want products that are closer to their true listed power ratings.

Personally I don't believe you'll have any problems with any of the brands you've listed. Again IMO, the best bang for the money these days is Yamaha, followed by Denon. I just installed a Yamaha into a new theater, and I'm very impressed.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
You'd have to find some bench tests on those units to properly compare specs. Many times you can purchase a Yamaha or Pioneer with an added two channel amplifier for less than an Adcom or Rotel. You may also get a better feature set with a Yamaha or Pioneer.

What is the dynamic power of the unit at 8/6/4/2 ohms?
IE, the Yamaha RXV2600 is 165/205/260/340.

You can also get a feel for the unit by the weight of the power supply, heat sink, size of the capacitors, and output transistors. The power supply and heat sink will make up the bulk of the weight.

The RXV2600, being rated at 130x2 RMS 20-20,000, 8 ohms, and .05 thd weighs in at an impressive 38.4lbs.

I don't see specs on the Adcom 700 on the website, but judging by the look of it, probably weighs a bit more.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Adcom makes fine amps I still own a 535II and a matching preamp, but that receiver from a processing stand point is far behind a Yammie or a Denon. Far behind.

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
I also believe Adcom amps are fine value for the money. They are bullet-proof and easily meet their power ratings. I purchased two used, one off e-bay and one off Audiogon. This isn't a bad way to go with power amps - there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong with them, as long as you stick with a well-established brand and do your research.

M

maggie

Enthusiast
Adcom 700

I contacted Customer support and they are (hopefully) sending specs. I did find out that the unit measures 17x8x16 and weighs 49 lbs. I'll pass on the other values when / if I get them.
Maggie

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
maggie said:
Any thoughts on the power ratings and quality of the Adcom 700 or 300 compared to the Pioneer's, Yamaha's etc. Also, for double the price of a similar unit, is the Adcom worth that it? No room for pre-pro's, a receiver is my only option. I keep my equipement for at least 5 years, often till it dies in service.
Thanks for the thoughts.
Maggie
You would have to do actual measurements, or someone else would have to do them (such as in a review) to know the actual output, and that would only tell you about the particular unit reviewed (as there is some variation from one unit to the next), though others like it should be similar. I would just look carefully at the specifications given, and pay attention to the features that each has, and the ergonomics of each (play with them; some are more annoying than others in the way the controls work).

My guess is that the Adcom is not worth twice as much, but it is your money, and you must decide what matters to you. Many people buy their equipment based upon how much aluminum is used for the case, or by how it looks, or by reputation rather than by how it sounds, and whether you wish to be influenced by such things is something for you to consider for yourself. If I were buying a receiver today, I would seriously consider a Yamaha from ubid, if they still have the great deals they had not long ago.

B

brendy

Audioholic
The Adcom 700 is in a class far above the mass market brands,like all their products.They are not concerned with "bells & whistles" to wow the general public.Yes they are more than mass market brands but only you can decide if it is worth it to you.With Adcom your getting into the true high-end.Adcom has an outstanding reputation and there is a very good reason for that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis