Adcom gfa 7605 used or Emotiva LPA-1 new?

B

bluto65

Enthusiast
Trying to complete the decision made on my other thread about my Yamaha 1700 shutting off randomly. Like I started the other thread with when trying to diagnose that problem, I am driving a 6.1 system of Ascend speakers and HSU sub. I also drive 2 zone two speakers in another area independently. I use the system about 90-10 for movies and television to music. Based on the other thread I have decided to take several others advise to introduce and external amp to my system to take the load off my Yammy. Anyway, being fairly amp ignorant, I thought a 7 channel 200 wpc would be best. I still believe that but wife and my wallet are realists. I have found a used Adcom 7605 for around $700 (5 x 125) and I keep eye balling the Emotiva LPA-1 at $500 new. I am wide open to any other good deals that you have seen lurking out there but for now I was trying to get a feel from someone more amp knowledgeable than I to look at these and make other recommendations if needed. Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am still not sure why your Yamaha is shutting off. Assuming it does not shutoff and the prepro works perfectly when you unload its amp section, adding an amp may be a workable solution.

However, neither amp you mentioned has much more power than the RX-V1700. I would like to remind you of what cfrizz often suggested in the past, get >=200 watts per channel. Otherwise you may not be happy for too long.

B

bluto65

Enthusiast
Thanks PENG,
Others suggest my Yamaha's advertised WPC probably isn't all its advertised to be and like the long running string about "All Channels Driven" the advertised strength probably isn't to all 6.1. The other string I ran had some good suggestions about possible causes but the answers implied that this is a fairly common problem and that an amp has proven to be a viable solution. I don't know that this is a true cure all, but I have checked every other possibility I could. Assuming it is that my speakers are going too low and drawing too many amps for my receiver I am looking for opinions on the amps listed, other good amps that others may know are on sale or being sold as used, etc. Thanks again, and I agree I should probably try to find a used 200 wpc amp if I can find a deal on one.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
True, power amps like the LPA-1 and the Adcom are rated all channels driven on the full frequency bandwidth, unlike most all receivers. And most amplifiers can direct more than their rated power to any give channel, like the Carver I used to have. The rating was 80 watts per channel for my AV-505, but any given channel could deliver up too 300 watts before clipping. Most receivers are lucky to hit 150 watts on one channel with full bandwidth and be able to withstand low impedance dips induced by certain types of speakers at lower frequencies.:)

That said, the Yamaha may have an internal problem, that regardless of speakers being attached could potentially shut down. I would try replacing all your speaker wires with new and perhaps higher gauge wire. I had bad wires (they looked fine) connected to the Yamaha I had and they would cause the Yamaha to go into protect at only moderate levels in a small room. Don't leave any possibilities out for the external components, your speakers could be causing the problems as well.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Bluto,
How much ventilation does your Yamaha have? Is it adequate?
The Yamahas typically require alot of room to breathe.
If by chance the shutdown problem is heat related then an amp will not be the answer.
My 1500 is only driving my rear surrounds while the EMO LPA-1 handles the other 5 channels.
The Yamaha still runs hot.

B

bluto65

Enthusiast
Seth=L,
Thanks for the reply. I continuity checked my speaker wires which are Blue Jeans cable 12 guage wire, all was fine. The circuits are open unless I close them. I also realize my Yamaha may have an internal problem although I am hoping otherwise. It never shuts down while playing my radio or iPod, primarily DVD's.

Nomo,
I have the receiver on a wire rack with 16 inches below it and 30 inches above it.

Thanks for the possible causes but most of these were discussed on the other thread about "My Yammy 1700 Randomly Shuts Down", hopefully I can redirect the focus here to the right amp for my application. I honestly appreciate the thoughts on causes and would love to continue that discussion on the other thread that has really slowed down the last few days. For this one I need help with what amp I need if the issue is no kidding the receiver can't handle the lows from my Ascends. Cheers to all! Thanks for looking and trying to help.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Seth=L,
Thanks for the reply. I continuity checked my speaker wires which are Blue Jeans cable 12 gauge wire, all was fine. The circuits are open unless I close them. I also realize my Yamaha may have an internal problem although I am hoping otherwise. It never shuts down while playing my radio or iPod, primarily DVD's.

Nomo,
I have the receiver on a wire rack with 16 inches below it and 30 inches above it.

Thanks for the possible causes but most of these were discussed on the other thread about "My Yammy 1700 Randomly Shuts Down", hopefully I can redirect the focus here to the right amp for my application. I honestly appreciate the thoughts on causes and would love to continue that discussion on the other thread that has really slowed down the last few days. For this one I need help with what amp I need if the issue is no kidding the receiver can't handle the lows from my Ascends. Cheers to all! Thanks for looking and trying to help.
It is quite possible the impedance dips from the lows could be hard for the receiver to do, and if there are other problems such as lower voltage at the outlet (not sure if you have some sort of power conditioner, but you could try that). I would try using higher tones for testing output capabilities on the Ascends or setting the x-over on the receiver to the highest possible Hz the unit allows (be sure the fronts and all other speakers are set to small for this) and see if it still has the shutdown problem, or if it occurs as often. These processes can help narrow the problems down. If you don't have a power conditioner, maybe a hi-fi store would let you try one out risk free. Best Buy allows you to return it within 30 days even if you just "don't like it".

So just mill those around in the ol' noggin.:D

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Emotiva LPA-1

I recently added an LPA-1 and would recommend it. The 8 ohm rating is comparable to high end receivers but it will deliver about 200 Watts into 4 ohms, all channels driven. The build quality is excelent. By getting the new Emo, you could use their 30 day trial/return period if necessary.

It wont solve a ventallation problem, my Yamaha still gets warm even though it is not driving any speakers. The Emotiva amp, however, run cool.

B

bluto65

Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions and the plug for the Emo LPA-1. I haven't seen the free shipping for Audioholic members pop up lately in the Emo ad hopefully if I go that route I can still get it. Still open to amp recommendations until I convince the wife to let me pick one up.

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
There are tons of amps to choose from. Rotel, Parasound, Outlaw, Nad, Adcom, Sunfire. All these companies make great gear that lasts for years.

Check out Audiogon for those brands, you will get more amp for your money buying used.

For hard to drive 4ohm speakers & tower speakers in general, I always recommend 200wpc & up. That way you never have to worry about having enough power to drive any speaker.

You will still have the amp throughout all other upgrades!:D

Happy Shopping.:)

W

whitestone

Audioholic Intern
Another vote for the LPA-1. I'm using it with a Yamaha RX-V659. Built solid.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the suggestions and the plug for the Emo LPA-1. I haven't seen the free shipping for Audioholic members pop up lately in the Emo ad hopefully if I go that route I can still get it. Still open to amp recommendations until I convince the wife to let me pick one up.
I believe Emotiva's free shipping offer ended last month. But they have good customer service. You could try giving them a call and just giving them a sob story about how the wife wouldn't let you buy last month, but now you can. All they can do is say no right?

As for your amp selection, I would also recommend going for at least a 200w/ch amp. Anything less probably won't be a very noticeable difference. Also, if your Yamaha is shutting down due to some weird internal issue, then adding an amp won't fix that problem and it will just end up shutting down when your receiver shuts down.

Good luck.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
There are tons of amps to choose from. Rotel, Parasound, Outlaw, Nad, Adcom, Sunfire. All these companies make great gear that lasts for years.

Check out Audiogon for those brands, you will get more amp for your money buying used.

For hard to drive 4ohm speakers & tower speakers in general, I always recommend 200wpc & up. That way you never have to worry about having enough power to drive any speaker.

You will still have the amp throughout all other upgrades!:D

Happy Shopping.:)
I absolutely agree, 200W and up are available from the used market at affordable prices. The only viable alternative is to save and wait.......for a new amp.

Nothing against the Emo, but why bother with 125WPC (all channel or not) if you are going for separates.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I believe Emotiva's free shipping offer ended last month.
I think that you're right. However, at least as of last weekend, the Emotiva ad that flashes on the forum page from time to time still said free shipping for Audioholics customers. Perhaps they would still honor it if you asked them?

B

bluto65

Enthusiast
Thanks Peng, Darien87, Whitestone and Adam. I agree I would really like to have 200wpc and I realize if it is internal that an external amp won't matter. It hasn't shut down in a while. I changed to all small speakers, crossover a little higher, and changed all my 12 guage to banana plugs to try to avoid a stray stand of wire. So far, so good. I still would like to round out with a nice amp. I am confident Emo's are good but I think I need a used amp if I want 200 wpc. Shoot me a message if you run across a good used deal on a 5 or 7 channel x 200 out there!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis