ADAM Audio Loudspeakers

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
I've heard their pro line - I've sat in on mixes with them and they're great speakers for the money...

J

Jasper78

Enthusiast
Artist 5

I've been looking at the Adam ARTist 5 for a possible desktop system. They sell for 399/each (euros) here in Europe, not exactly cheap, but from what I've read about the A7X and A5X, for nearfield listening, this system would be hard to beat. They even come with a USB input, so you wouldn't need to add a pre/pro or an amp. I've yet to hear them, though. ;)

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
HomeTheater mag reviewed them and thought they walked on water regardless of the less than stellar frequency response. :confused:
That's "professional magazine reviews" for ya...

K

kini

Full Audioholic
That's "professional magazine reviews" for ya...
I just don't get the whole and sole devotion to how a speaker measures as the determining factor in whether it's good or not or worth a demo.

With something so subjective as sound I can't grasp the singular focus on objective measurements.

I've never listened to test tones. Ever. I don't find them very interesting. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I just don't get the whole and sole devotion to how a speaker measures as the determining factor in whether it's good or not or worth a demo.

With something so subjective as sound I can't grasp the singular focus on objective measurements.

I've never listened to test tones. Ever. I don't find them very interesting. :D
You make valid points especially since most magazines (including us) simply cannot measure every aspect of how a speakers performance equates to how it plays in the room and how we perceive and prefer sound. I read all of the Harman research done about DBT's and family of curve measurements and find much of it to be lacking. Many of the speakers I've heard that allegedly measure flat anechoic, tend to sound a bit too bright on the top end in real rooms or they sound sterile and two-dimensional. The way distortion is typically measured IMO is very lacking, especially since they never do it at meaningful power levels.

I look at some of the speakers many of these companies make that cherish the "science" and simply have a good chuckle when I see mediocre drivers, bottom of the barrel crossover components, inadequate bracing, incorrect port tuning, incorrect xover frequency making the tweeter play lower than it should, etc.

I think there is often a big disconnect between "the science" and the final product which in most cases is dictated by marketing to cheapen the speaker and make have more bass and sizzle to do well in a casual listen at a noisy showfloor.

Damn, this topic is just itching to be explored in an article format. :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We all know the most important thing is how the speakers actually sound to us. Unfortunately, we all have different opinions.

What one person deems as "great sound" may not be so great to other people.

Who do you trust? Is it a question of trust? Or just a question of tastes?

Those objective on-axis & off-axis graphs only attempt to help us make educated guesses on which speakers to focus on to audition since there are hundreds of speakers out there.

But more times than not, the great sounding speakers usually have great on-axis & off-axis responses. Perhaps not always, but usually.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis