K

konajoe

Audioholic Intern
I've seen active subs and active speakers. But is it possible to put together an active 5.1 speaker system? If so, do you just need a 5.1 pre amp?

Is anyone building active ceiling speakers?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've seen active subs and active speakers. But is it possible to put together an active 5.1 speaker system? If so, do you just need a 5.1 pre amp?

Is anyone building active ceiling speakers?
If something happens to the amps inside the ceiling speakers, it would be more difficult to get it serviced wouldn't it?

That is why most in-ceiling and in-wall speakers and subwoofers do NOT have amps INSIDE them. People do not want to open up the walls and ceilings a few years later.

K

konajoe

Audioholic Intern
Yes. Before I even asked about active ceiling speaker, I guessed that the amplification for those speakers would be remote. I know that eliminates some of the advantages, but the amplifiers would still be specifically designed for the drivers and crossovers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With the possible exception of sub amps, amps are not usually designed around a speaker aside from the amount of power.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes. Before I even asked about active ceiling speaker, I guessed that the amplification for those speakers would be remote. I know that eliminates some of the advantages, but the amplifiers would still be specifically designed for the drivers and crossovers.
An active speaker is an active speaker regardless of where the amp is kept. It does not eliminate any advantages. I think it is more advantageous to have the amps external just in case it needs servicing.

As long as the amp is high quality and can output the required power (usually a range of power), it will do a great job. It's not like there is only one amp that can do the best job. Many amps can do a great job.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
And active speaker is an active speaker regardless of where the amp is kept. It does not eliminate any advantages. I think it is more advantageous to have the amps external just in case it needs servicing.

As long as the amp is high quality and can output the required power (usually a range of power), it will do a great job. It's not like there is only one amp that can do the best job. Many amps can do a great job.
Wouldn't the definition of an active speaker be a self contained system with built in amp? Once that amp is separated, it is no longer an active speaker to me ("system" maybe), unless we start talking about something like 901s.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wouldn't the definition of an active speaker be a self contained system with built in amp? Once that amp is separated, it is no longer an active speaker to me ("system" maybe), unless we start talking about something like 901s.
There are active speakers and subs with external amps. For example, the Linkwitz Orion speakers and Funk 18.2 subwoofer are both active with external amps/XO/SP/EQ.

"Active" means the Crossover comes before the Amp.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, there are active speakers and subs with external amps. For example, the Linkwitz Orion speakers and Funk 18.2 subwoofer are both active with external amps/XO/SP/EQ.

"Active" means the Crossover comes before the Amp.
We're talking two different flavors of active. You're talking active x-over, but an active speaker is simply an amplified one, and "active" is probably a poor choice for the definition of an amplified speaker that does not have an active x-over; they should just be called amplified. It is the same thing with the 901s, which were basically useless without their separate EQ.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We're talking two different flavors of active. You're talking active x-over, but an active speaker is simply an amplified one, and "active" is probably a poor choice for the definition of an amplified speaker that does not have an active x-over; they should just be called amplified. It is the same thing with the 901s, which were basically useless without their separate EQ.
There is not one standard definition on which everyone agrees on.

Some people define "active speaker" as any speaker where the XO comes before the amp regardless of the location of the amp or XO (external vs internal).

The Audio Critic: The Orion is an "active" loudspeaker, requiring a multichannel power amplifier driven by an electronic crossover/equalizer.

http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=33&blogId=1

Last edited by a moderator:
ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
There is not one standard definition on which everyone agrees on.

Some people define "active speaker" as any speaker where the XO comes before the amp regardless of the location of the amp or XO (external vs internal).

The Audio Critic: The Orion is an "active" loudspeaker, requiring a multichannel power amplifier driven by an electronic crossover/equalizer.

http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=33&blogId=1
Agreed. Every audio facet I've been part of has given the term "active" to a speaker who's crossover is being implemented via DSP (whether built in or not); signal -> DSP crossover -> amplifier -> speaker. The flip side is simply "passive" which means the speaker has a passive crossover in line between it and the amplifier. In this vein, my front towers are active: The tweeter, midrange, and midwoofer all have their own electronic crossover network and thus a separate amplifier for each. My center and surrounds are passive; they each incorporate the passive crossover.

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed. Every audio facet I've been part of has given the term "active" to a speaker who's crossover is being implemented via DSP (whether built in or not); signal -> DSP crossover -> amplifier -> speaker. The flip side is simply "passive" which means the speaker has a passive crossover in line between it and the amplifier. In this vein, my front towers are active: The tweeter, midrange, and midwoofer all have their own electronic crossover network and thus a separate amplifier for each. My center and surrounds are passive; they each incorporate the passive crossover.
Yup. If the signal goes to the active electronic crossover first, then goes to the amplifier, then goes to the driver, the speaker is an active "speaker", not just an active "crossover" or "system".

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Genelec has active ceiling speakers. I'm sure other manufacturers do as well.

K

konajoe

Audioholic Intern
And what I really failed to say is that you cannot boost or easily contour with a passive system as you can with an active system. Nor is it easy to setup delays. Yes it is possible. But it is not the same thing as dialing in a delay and taking a measurement on an active system.

I think this is another area where we agree. I expected to be buried in the technological scrap heap years ago. I thought active crossovers would completely take over because they have so many inherent advantages over passives. That hasn't happened yet, but the clock is ticking very loudly.
This is what initially got my interest. It's from another thread in the loudspeaker section. I did not want to hijack that thread.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This is what initially got my interest. It's from another thread in the loudspeaker section. I did not want to hijack that thread.
Shoot. That's not hijacking a thread. Please. :D

That is fair game - talking about active speakers and availability.

As far as the REAL advantages of active vs passive, it depends on what you are planning to do with it. :D

Being active doesn't automatically mean it sounds better. Otherwise, every speaker would be active.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So you gonna go tell all those active pro monitor companies their speakers aren't "active" then? :) Not sure too many of them are using active x-overs.

I used to do active x-overs in my car back in my car audio days. I could definitely see the advantages, but then your car is sort of being used as part of the system and the various speakers are separate and individually amplified; simply toss the passive x-overs and insert the x-over before the amps. At home, that means you need separate amps - not a problem for many of the AH family, but not so much for the average person. That was in the 90s! I agree with Dennis, this is where we should have been already, but I don't really think the average consumer is prepared for that sort of thing. I understand what it takes to put together a system like that and to be honest, with guys like Dennis making speakers, I'm not entirely sure I need to do that. If I had more money and plenty of time, maybe.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis