Acoustic Research Classic Series

R

Rich Bradley

Audiophyte
Just acquired a pristine pair of AR Classic Model 30's and I am having trouble finding a lot of detail about them on line. Seems there were not many produced, and never reviewed that I can find, so documentation and supporting info is scarce. Looking for comments on power handling, crossover design/re-cap needs or feedback and opinions from other owners would be great.

I have not moved them up to my 3rd floor listening room...they weigh a ton, and don't come with handles! So all my listening has been a quick set up in the living room, but a quick listening session has got me pretty excited about the potential. My best imaging speakers to date have been Monitor Audio 952MD's, but they had a weaker low end. The 30's sound at least as good, but with great bass response and definition.

Incredibly smooth full range and broad sound stage, great detail and dynamics. I am using a 300wpc @ 8 ohm/500wpc @ 4ohm Perreaux amp and it seem to match up really well with this speaker.

Love to hear comments and feedback!
AR Classic 30.jpg

R

Rich Bradley

Audiophyte
Thanks for the link, I had seen some bits and pieces of this, but not the whole brochure I one place.

R

Rich Bradley

Audiophyte
Great info, always nice to have a manual. It will help with the final install.

Considering bi-amping with a B&K 202+ on top and the Perreaux for bass. I see months of fun ahead tweaking a great system!

I have recapped some older, less expensive speakers and it has made a noticeable difference. My Rectilinear III's really came alive, but they were 45+ years old and nowhere near the build quality of the 30"s. With the sound quality as good as it is I can't imagine needing to refresh anything at this point.

S

Sebastian Napoli

Audiophyte
Just acquired a pristine pair of AR Classic Model 30's and I am having trouble finding a lot of detail about them on line. Seems there were not many produced, and never reviewed that I can find, so documentation and supporting info is scarce. Looking for comments on power handling, crossover design/re-cap needs or feedback and opinions from other owners would be great.

I have not moved them up to my 3rd floor listening room...they weigh a ton, and don't come with handles! So all my listening has been a quick set up in the living room, but a quick listening session has got me pretty excited about the potential. My best imaging speakers to date have been Monitor Audio 952MD's, but they had a weaker low end. The 30's sound at least as good, but with great bass response and definition.

Incredibly smooth full range and broad sound stage, great detail and dynamics. I am using a 300wpc @ 8 ohm/500wpc @ 4ohm Perreaux amp and it seem to match up really well with this speaker.

Love to hear comments and feedback!View attachment 16122
I cant find much about them either - just picked up a pair of the ARC 26's... great condition and man they sound amazing. Really really good. Great highs clear mids and the bass is circa-centric clean but not overly punchy. I did however buy some backup liquid cooling tweeters though - just in case. Congrats on the buy - they are beautiful.

R

Rich Bradley

Audiophyte
AR Classic 30 Update...
The speakers are moved up into the listening room, turns out they weigh 150lbs+ each, but not too bad with two people. I am bi-wiring using the Perreaux 300WPC amp, after trying bi-amping with the B&K 202, but not hearing any difference. Running thru an Apt/Holman preamp.

The speakers continue to sound wonderful and as I started to do more listening it highlighted the need to improve my source equipment. I have added an Meridian Director DAC running out of a Mac Book Pro using Bitperfect on top of iTunes and the more I listen, and it all breaks in, the better everything sounds. Bass is very clean and punchy, and mid range/treble is smooth and clean with great imaging and broad soundstage. I wish my listening room was a bit larger as I would like to move the speakers a bit further from the back wall, but overall they have turned out to be a great find.

I am amazed at how flexible the speakers are in playing a variety of music. They handle classic rock, acoustic-female vocals, Broadway musicals and classical music equally well with no real weak spots.

The previous owner was using a sub woofer with them, so I may play with that at some point in the future, especially if they move into a bigger space, but for now I don't hear the need.

I have bought and sold many vintage speakers looking for a perfect fit at a low cost, and it has been a great hobby. I think I am done looking for better speakers.

I would love to know how many of these were built in the one year of production before closing the Canton plant, with how expensive they were back then I can't imagine they sold too many!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I had a pair of Classic 18s, in fact Swerd directed you to my thread.

I was impressed with those, I can only imagine how much bigger those must sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis