A

afuturestrader

Audiophyte
I am reviewing speaker systems for my first HT purchase and Acoustech is on my short list.

After reading a number of posts here it is apparent a number of regulars know quite a bit about these speakers - so here is my question.

Is the HT-75 set a good choice for 2 channel music listening? In particular I note a few posts suggesting perhaps the 75's come up short on the bass end and need a sub for music (I would definately be using a sub for movies).

My question arises because the specs show the frequency response for the HT-75 down to 35 Hz. Is that very "optimistic". A number of pro reviewers seem to suggest around 40 Hz qualifies for full range status.

I would be using the Acoustech set mostly for HT purposes at present. But future use (2 or 3 years) would likely have my HT set doubling for music. While I haven't yet listened to the difference between 2 channel and say 5.1 channel music (this will be my first surround sound system), I would like the option.

FWIW, I haven't yet listened to the Klipsch Reference series to see if I like the horn tweeter. I thought it wise to first get this question answered.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I would leave the HT-75's in a theater system. For 2ch music, I perfer bookshelfs and a good sub.

To some, a true 2 ch music system would have no sub at all. It would be mains that reach into the 20Hz region with a very detailed, yet soft highend, coupled to an accurate, non forward midrange.

I have heard from a trustworthy member the the HT-75's are not graceful enough for music. They tend to have an over pronounced high end that can spoil music. I don't know how they go for bass and midrange though.

To be safe, I would look at a silk dome, or an over engineered metal dome tweeter.

SHeepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis