E

enoch

Audioholic Intern
if you set up 7.1 system does that mean when you are watching a 5.1 movie the extra 2 back left and right speakers will be surround sound or be like the front left and right and put out speech and what not?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
if you set up 7.1 system does that mean when you are watching a 5.1 movie the extra 2 back left and right speakers will be surround sound or be like the front left and right and put out speech and what not?
They will be silent.

Only the 5 speakers + subwoofer will be active. The Rear/Back surrounds will be inactive.

E

enoch

Audioholic Intern
ok i thought that they would reproduce what the front front left and right put out. Is there a way to do that without putting the black left and right into the front left and right connectors?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
No, they will be silent unless you use a receiver that has a PLIIx or Dolby Digital EX/DTS ES decoder that will redirect some of the material to the back speakers that is meant for the side surrounds, that way you get more of a realistic sound field.

E

enoch

Audioholic Intern
Im using the PLIIx and getting surround sound out of them. Just wanted some conversations sounds to come through them too.

E

enoch

Audioholic Intern
what if i twist the wires of the front and back right togheter and placed them in the front right connector on the reciever and same for left?

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
what if i twist the wires of the front and back right togheter and placed them in the front right connector on the reciever and same for left?
Most likely it would sound bad, IMO. Plus depending on how many ohms your speakers are and what type of reciever you have, you run the risk of overloading and/or damaging them.

Why do you want dialogue from the rear speakers? If you are having difficulty hearing dialogue from the fronts you may want work on your setup a little.

Jack

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

You could also just try listening in 5.1 stereo for now, won't sound great but you'll get more dialogue.

Jack

(still curios about setup)

E

enoch

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the help!

this is my set up
PS3 via HDMI
COmcast HD DVR via HDMI
to
Yamaha RX-v663
to Samsung 56" DLP via HDMI
for speakers i have 7.1 Infinity TSS 1200

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Thanks for the help!

this is my set up
PS3 via HDMI
COmcast HD DVR via HDMI
to
Yamaha RX-v663
to Samsung 56" DLP via HDMI
for speakers i have 7.1 Infinity TSS 1200
Have you level matched your speakers(or run auto setup from your Yami to do it automatically?)?

Again, why do you want/need to hear dialogue from the rear surrounds?

Jack

E

enoch

Audioholic Intern
Yeah i have ran the auto setup and it gave me the W1 warning, out of phase, for the front left and center. I should leave that alone right? For dialogue out...just wanted more sound out of the back left and right speakers.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Yeah i have ran the auto setup and it gave me the W1 warning, out of phase, for the front left and center. I should leave that alone right? For dialogue out...just wanted more sound out of the back left and right speakers.
Out of phase means that your speakers may have the polarity(black/red (-/+)wires) reversed. That can affect your sound greatly. You may need to switch those wires. Even if the wires are set properly (+to+ and -to-) room modes and speaker location can cause the speakers to act out of phase.

As for getting more sound from the rear surrounds you can play with the surround settings. I forget which you need to get the same sound from the sides and rears, between matrixing or non-matrixing or the other options. Perhaps someone else can chime in on those, as I have difficulty keeping them straight.

Jack

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Just check the polarity manually, the Yamaha receivers don't always get the phase test correct. I would advise that if your front speakers don't seem loud enough, that you go to radio shack, get a SPL meter, and level match all the speakers yourself. It's easy to do, and well worth the money, since you will use the SPL meter often.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Im using the PLIIx and getting surround sound out of them. Just wanted some conversations sounds to come through them too.
I am not sure why you want to do that, to misdirect the sounds in the soundtrack, but there is probably a way to do that. First, you downmix the multi-channel source to stereo (you can guarantee that by using the stereo analog connections from a DVD player or TV), and then use a DSP (Digital Signal Processing) mode to play "7-channel stereo" (or whatever it is called in your unit). Whether you will like the results or not is hard to say, but I certainly would not do it, nor would I recommend it.

My advice is to read your manual and carefully setup the unit properly, and then see if you like the results. If not, then play with all of the various DSP modes that it has, which, given that it is a Yamaha, will be numerous (unless they have changed their ways).

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I am not sure why you want to do that, to misdirect the sounds in the soundtrack...
There is no right or wrong when it comes to personal preference. I too perfer to have a more full surround sound and want to make use of all 7 speakers and 7 amp channels that I payed for.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You know what they say...the Center gets about 50-70% of the Soundtrack, which means the Front L+R get about 30-40% of the soundtrack, which means the Surrounds (Side and Back Surrounds) get only LESS than 10% of the soundtrack.

If you want MORE from your Back Surrounds just for KICKS, I suppose you could just connect the Back Surrounds speakers to the ZONE 2 (Front L+R).:D

If that does not work, connect the Front L+R PreOut to another amp and then connect to the Back Surround speakers.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Presence channels

Yamaha receivers have option presence speakers. These are mounted in the front, to the outside of the main speakers. Your receiver can power a full 7.1 system (with surround backs) or 5.1 + presence speakers. You have to use one of the Yamaha DSPs to activate the presence speakers. You have to use Dolby PLIIx to activate the surround backs (because there isn't much 7.1 material)

If you have an extra pair of speakers you could experiment with them as surround backs, or presence.

E

enoch

Audioholic Intern
Well im going to keep my set up the way it is. I get plenty of sound out of my front right, left and center speaker that i really dont need the extra 2 back speakers to help with that.

Now about the polarity. I have the wires conneceted correct, +to+ and -to-. Since im getting the polarity warning when i use the YPAO, are you saying that i should change the polarity for those 2 speakers. like +to-?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Well im going to keep my set up the way it is. I get plenty of sound out of my front right, left and center speaker that i really dont need the extra 2 back speakers to help with that.

Now about the polarity. I have the wires conneceted correct, +to+ and -to-. Since im getting the polarity warning when i use the YPAO, are you saying that i should change the polarity for those 2 speakers. like +to-?
Did you check both ends of the wires to make sure about the correct polarity? In other words, did you check the connections at both the receiver and the speakers?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis