Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Anyone here into ABBA or even heard about them. Used to be a major band during late 70s and early 80s, won Eurovision.

You guys can now guess my age by this post.:)

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
I'm not an Abba fan (not even in the slightest), but I have noticed a large surge in interest (re-interest?) in them. Maybe this was driven by the musical "Mamma Mia", that is based on Abba's music. I also recently stumbled across an old Abba video (or maybe even a documentary of some kind) that was running on one of the HDTV channels (not network - it might have been the local PBS-HD channel, but I think it was probably INHD1 or 2)

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Ever heard of them???? They were only the biggest selling group of the late 70's early 80's. Yes, that post definately shows your age:)

I do have to say one of the funniest things you will ever see is the video for "Chiquitita" ...if you can find it, watch it. So cheesy to watch this today. Benny and Bjorn (the two guys) especially. The gals, their wives, were kinda hot though.

I DJ dances and weddings and "Dancing Queen" is still a favorite, especially with the gals.

JC

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Well I couldn't guess your age:confused:

I like a few ABBA songs, and my mother is a nut about them.

Hmm, has anyone ever heard of Mozart.

Now a person that can answer that??? Well then ask their age.

J/K....

Yeah the Mamma Mia has re-erupted ABBA in the last couple of years.

Edit:: Oh BTW I like Super Trouper the best....

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
LOL! Glad to see I am not the only Crypt Keeper around, ABBA made some real original hits in a world full of me too copy cats. Till today, they are far

Btw: I also listen to my fellow countrymen Freddie Mercury and Engelbert Humperdinck,also Jay and the Americans, Frankie Valii and Jimmy Dorsey along with Mozart, Rachminanoff etc, now what does that say bout my age.

Eurovision recently rated Abba's Waterloo as the best song ever.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Yamahaluver said:
LOL! Glad to see I am not the only Crypt Keeper around, ABBA made some real original hits in a world full of me too copy cats. Till today, they are far

Btw: I also listen to my fellow countrymen Freddie Mercury and Engelbert Humperdinck,also Jay and the Americans, Frankie Valii and Jimmy Dorsey along with Mozart, Rachminanoff etc, now what does that say bout my age.

:p LOL, nothing other than you like Queen and some old guys that I have plenty of.
Also Tony Bennett, Sinatra, etc...

EDIT:: BTW, my age is quite known. Just look at my user name.....
I listen to everything from Mozart to Metallica. And then some...........

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Yamahaluver said:
I like Abba too, but I wouldn't agree that Waterloo is the best song ever. I don't even think it's Abba's best song.

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
they used to say in sweden that abba made more money than volvo. who knows. my dad used to buy all their albums on cassette. it's great pop music. there's an early 90's aussie movie called "muriel's wedding" or something like that, which uses a lot of abba references and they even have a hillarious abba mock show.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
MDS said:
I like Abba too, but I wouldn't agree that Waterloo is the best song ever. I don't even think it's Abba's best song.
I agree, not ABBA's best, they have made many better ones, there are other group like Bee Gees and Queen from that era who also deserve credit for their work, point is, neither Eurovision nor Grammys are any true indicator of what good music should be or ought to be, very broadbased and general.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Yamahaluver said:
there are other group like Bee Gees
Now you have hit the nail on one of my favorites. And no guys I'm not talking about just SNF...
Yeah, Mining Disaster, Lonely Days, Mend a Broken Heart, Started a Joke, My World, etc.. where not disco. And they are some of my favorite songs..:D

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
The Bee Gees have written some all time great which others have sung and hit the sky, like Heartbreaker from Dionne Warwick, also for Celine Dion, their own renditions like Good Morning Mr. Sunshine, I Started a Joke etc. are nothing short of all time classics, the SNF era is nothing to be shied about, all the songs released by them were hits, Travolta's polyester suit aside, they also gave songs like Tragedy, Love You Inside Out and Guilty, a duet with Streisand, these songs reverberate then and even today.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I would say my favorite Abba song would be "Does Your Mother Know"...maybe coincidence, but it is the only song the guys sing in the band that i can think of.

JC

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Nope, actually there are quite a few other male vocal numbers, Why Did It Have to Be Me is one for instance.

S

superjohnny

Enthusiast
If you change your mind. I'm the first in line. Honey I'm still free. Take a chance on me. If you need me let me know cause I'll be around...

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
another johnny here I see...welcome!

And no, I am not an Abba fan. That would be like saying I am an Air Supply fan:)

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Johnny Canuck said:
another johnny here I see...welcome!
And no, I am not an Abba fan. That would be like saying I am an Air Supply fan:)
Hmm, whats wrong with Air Supply:confused:

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
You can't listen to heavy metal all day. Aren't you ever in the mood for slow pop songs? I'll take Air Supply over any cRAP that is out today.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I wasn't aware that my choices were only Heavy Metal or Air Supply. :D

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Shadow_Ferret said:
I wasn't aware that my choices were only Heavy Metal or Air Supply. :D
Please notice the letters he capitalized for you. Actually he gave a 3rd choice.;)

EDIT:: Anyway back on topic. Think - 'ABBA'

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis