R

RSPS

Enthusiast
I have a Pioneer VSX-92TXH A/V receiver and a BDP-41FD Blue-Ray. Both worked fine until I moved the Blue-Ray to another room, which required a 50' HDMI cable. With the new cable the Blue-Ray works fine but when watching T.V. either the Blue-Ray or the T.V. is resetting the inputs, and then it comes back on. This happens every 30-60 seconds. When I go back to the original 6' cable all is well. I thought of course something was wrong with the 50' cable so I bought a 2nd one, same thing. I then tried a 35' cable I had and it also does the same thing. Do I have the wrong version of HDMI?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
What HDMI cable do you have? Generally speaking any run longer than 15-20ft require either an HDMI repeater or a redmere HDMI cable.

R

RSPS

Enthusiast
I don't know about the 2nd cable but the first one was audio return. I'm not sure what version any of them are. I don't know a lot about HDMI. But does it make a difference since the Blue-Ray will play a disk perfectly? The only time I have a problem is when trying to watch T.V. and that's when the picture goes dark and my Pioneer PRO-111FD shows the input selected and then the picture returns and it does it all over again. If I unplug the cable from the Blue-Ray and leave it connected to input two of the A/V it also works.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know about the 2nd cable but the first one was audio return. I'm not sure what version any of them are. I don't know a lot about HDMI. But does it make a difference since the Blue-Ray will play a disk perfectly? The only time I have a problem is when trying to watch T.V. and that's when the picture goes dark and my Pioneer PRO-111FD shows the input selected and then the picture returns and it does it all over again. If I unplug the cable from the Blue-Ray and leave it connected to input two of the A/V it also works.
ARC or audio return channel has nothing to do with the cable being certified for long runs. I'm a little confused. The cable or satellite box is connected to the pioneer via short HDMI? The receiver to the TV is connected via short HDMI? The blu-ray player is plugged into the receiver via the long HDMI? When you watch a blu-ray everything is fine, but when you watch TV it flickers back and forth between your blu-ray input and your TV input, right? Then when you unplug your long HDMI it stops flickering back and forth, right?

R

RSPS

Enthusiast
I will try and answer your question but please be advised I'm not up on all of the terminology. I have a Directv HR-34 connected with a 6' HDMI cable to HDMI 1 input of my A/V. I have my Blue-Ray player connected with a 50' cable to HDMI 2 input of my A/V. I have the output of the A/V connected to input 4 of my plasma. I have an old VHS tape deck connected to composit inputs on my A/V. I have the Directv receiver and the A/V receiver in the basement. I have the tape player and Blue-Ray in a closet upstairs. I am using Logitech's Harmony 900's to control everything. The tape and Blue-Ray work normally. If I switch to T.V. the plasma should briefly show what input is being used, which is input 4. The panel says in the upper left hand side, input 4 and then a space and HDMI. The picture then comes on and it works for 30-60 seconds, then goes dark, and then says input 4 and HDMI all over again. The picture then comes back on and this cycle repeats. If I unplug the cable from the back of the Blue-Ray the T.V. works normally. If I bring the Blue-Ray close to the A/V and use the 6' cable it also works.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would try turning off CEC. CEC (or whatever pioneer calls it) allows devices to control eachother and this in combination with the long cable could be causing some confusion between the devices. I would like to clearly state that I'm going out on a limb with this guess and I don't think it will work, but it won't hurt anything to try.

To test this turn off CEC on either the A/V or the bluray player.

R

RSPS

Enthusiast
Evidently Pioneer calls it HDMI control, I checked and it is off. Thanks for the tip.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That explanation definitely helped me understand what you have going on, although I'm not entirely sure it helps figure out the problem. I would suggest trying to figure out if the long HDMI cord has redmere technology, or you can just post a link to where you bought it and I can figure it out. If it doesn't, the long run and lack of a booster might be doing something, but that also doesn't make a ton of sense since the blu-ray player works fine.

Anyways, if it doesn't have red mere, it be worth one more cable swap to test out if this helps.

R

RSPS

Enthusiast
I bought both cables from Amazon and have contacted them as well as the manufacturer but didn't get anywhere. I cut and pasted everything Amazon had on their site:

Even though HDMI cables support Hot Plug Detection, improper usage might result in resetting / restarting both devices, or even may cause damage to the devices. Therefore, we do not suggest Hot Plug action for any HDMI cables. Please make sure both input and output devices are off when plugging or unplugging HDMI cables. A premium quality HDMI-HDMI cable suitable for use in HDTV, Home Theater, and business class projector based applications. Features gold-plated connectors, molded strain-relief, and mylar-foil shielding. Cable constructed using the high quality material for best contact connection between HDMI equipments. Fully HDCP compliant to provide highest level of signal quality. Fully compatible with High Speed HDMI specification (Version 1.3b).Active HDMI cable using active electronics to boost and clean up the signal, which effectively doubled the range of a standard HDMI cable. Cable runs up to 30 meters (98ft). Transfer Digital Audio and Video signals at warp speed of 5 Gigabits per second approximately! A superb cable with excellent audio-visual transfer properties that deliver signal without compromising purity and balance. Digital video doesn't get any better than this! Features: Gold-plated connectors for highest signal transfer rate and resistance in corrosion. Large gauge PVC jacket provides maximum shielding against wear and tear and extreme temperatures. Reinforced quad-layer braided shielding and Mylar-foil shielding provides utmost protection against RF and EM interference. Molded strain-relief design lessens plug/socket pressure. Designed to meet all HDMI standards. Supports 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p resolution. Color: Black. Cable Length: 50 FT / 15 M. Suggested Applications: multiple audio formats from stereo to multi-channel sound.

I don't know if they are right or not but they claim up to 98'. I have used a 50' HDMI between my other Direct dvr and a T.V. but maybe Blue-Ray is different. If you don't mind my asking since the time stamps are all over the place, where are you located. Thanks again for any help.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. "Active electronics" in the description caught my eye. Is the cable directional, and if so, have you verified that you have it connected the correct way? RedMere is directional, but I would expect that word to show up in the description if the cable used that technology.

If you would, please provide a link to the cable that you bought on Amazon.

EDIT: Is it this cable? If so, there are multiple reviews stating that the cable didn't work for the user, with many saying that it doesn't support 1080p.

Last edited:
R

RSPS

Enthusiast
Yes, that appears to be the cable. I think this is the other one:

Aurum Cables High Speed HDMI Cable (50 Ft) - Cl3 Rated for In-wall Installation - Supports 3D, Ethernet and Audio Return [Newest Standard]
by Aurum Cable. I'm not sure how to create a link but this also is from Amazon.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, that appears to be the cable. I think this is the other one:

Aurum Cables High Speed HDMI Cable (50 Ft) - Cl3 Rated for In-wall Installation - Supports 3D, Ethernet and Audio Return [Newest Standard]
by Aurum Cable. I'm not sure how to create a link but this also is from Amazon.
Neither cable seems directional, but the cheaper one with the "active electronics" seems like a ripoff at best. Active technology used to make an HDMI cable viable for those long runs hasn't come down that much to where the cable is only $15.

The second cable doesn't mention anything about being active so I'm guessing its not.

My advice would be to suck it up and go for what should almost definitely work. I have a 60ft redmere HDMI and it just works with zero issues.

For only $56.23 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 50ft Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology

R

RSPS

Enthusiast
One last thing, in your opinion is there anyway that a signal is coming back to the A/V or TV and causing one or the other to do this? Or do you think it is the cable in spite of the fact that I can watch a Blue-Ray DVD with no problem. I keep thinking something is telling either the TV or the A/V to select an input, but the one selected is the one it is already on, so it goes blank and then comes back on. Between these occurrences the TV can be watched normally. I'm a new user to this so I don't know all of the protocol but I want to thank everyone who responded to my plea for help.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
One last thing, in your opinion is there anyway that a signal is coming back to the A/V or TV and causing one or the other to do this? Or do you think it is the cable in spite of the fact that I can watch a Blue-Ray DVD with no problem. I keep thinking something is telling either the TV or the A/V to select an input, but the one selected is the one it is already on, so it goes blank and then comes back on. Between these occurrences the TV can be watched normally. I'm a new user to this so I don't know all of the protocol but I want to thank everyone who responded to my plea for help.
It's really tough to tell for sure, but given the HDMI cables you've tried, I think that because of the length and cheap quality there might be some signal leakage that could be causing the issues, which is also why I think redmere is directional and active. Monoprice is really easy to work with, or you can order through amazon so if it doesn't work returns should be relatively easy if that doesn't turn out to be the problem, but at this point I think it is your best bet.

R

RSPS

Enthusiast
O.K. I'm going to sign off and order that cable. I will let everyone know on a future post the outcome.

R

RSPS

Enthusiast
Oops, I guess that wasn't the last thing. I guess I don't understand how the 50' HDMI cable could cause a problem since when watching T.V. the cable is not being used, in fact the Blue-Ray power is off at that time. Is the cable just loading down the A/V input somehow? And yet it's attached to HDMI input 2 and the T.V. is attached to HDMI input 1. None of it makes sense, but of course if it had been easy I wouldn't need you experts. Thanks again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis