A/V receiver vs. Separates

C

crackdaddy361

Audiophyte
My 3 yr old son recently killed my HK AVR 635, so I have to buy a new unit. I have a set of SVS SBS-01 speakers, which I love. I have an HD cable box, connected via HDMI and a Sanyo LCD projector, also connected via HDMI. I will be moving up to a Blu-Ray player (probably the new model from Panasonic when it comes out) from my Oppo upconverting SD DVD player. I need to have HDMI connectivity for whatever processes the audio and video.

My budget for my new receiver or separates will be about $1200. I have researched extensively between Denon or the Sony ES series, and I have also looked at Emotiva and Outlaw separates. I did not see any HDMI connections on the Pre/Pro from Outlaw, and I'm not sure how to set up the Emo for home theater applications. With the AV receivers, as we know, it's plug and play.

The applications will mainly be for my home theater and some music (80/20). Please advise, thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The new models from Panasonic are out now. Oppo's blu-ray player is coming soon also.

It is no different hooking up separates, except that you have to make a connection between the pre/pro and amp.

The Emotiva UMC-1 has HDMI. The Outlaw that is coming soon says it will have HDMI. Sony ES wouldn't be in the running at all in my book.

None of these guys had separates available when I bought my receiver for $1700...I would have gone separates for sure.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
get a receiver you like. have it power the surrounds and rears. and get a xpa-3. or a upa-7 to power it all. either will be in your budget and will sound good.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I think a receiver is the best way to go and I would suggest that you don't really need to spend as much as $1200 unless there are certain features that you really must have.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think a receiver is the best way to go and I would suggest that you don't really need to spend as much as $1200 unless there are certain features that you really must have.
agreed, kinda. he should get a new receiver first. try it out, see if it meets his needs. for me, it didn't, not enough power. so i got an amp.

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
I would do something like this, buy an AVR with pre-outs and if you need more amplification later, you can do it.

I suppose my Yamaha RX-V1500 is getting old now, but other than HDMI it's got everything I'll need for a while. For a while I was running 3 power amps off it (2 behringer A500s and 1 Pioneer).

I've actually taken a step back and realized the built in amp in the RX-V1500 is fine for theater/music use. I've moved my power amps and big speakers into the basement/studio....

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
I'm with everyone else here. Find a nice receiver that meets your needs and try it out for awhile, the only thing you should make sure is that it has Pre-Amp outputs. That way if you find that it's lacking power you can easily add an amp. You might want to add Yamaha and Pioneer to the list to look at along with Onkyo. Just to confuse you a little more:D:D;)

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Some ideas

My 3 yr old son recently killed my HK AVR 635, so I have to buy a new unit. I have a set of SVS SBS-01 speakers, which I love. I have an HD cable box, connected via HDMI and a Sanyo LCD projector, also connected via HDMI. I will be moving up to a Blu-Ray player (probably the new model from Panasonic when it comes out) from my Oppo upconverting SD DVD player. I need to have HDMI connectivity for whatever processes the audio and video.

My budget for my new receiver or separates will be about $1200. I have researched extensively between Denon or the Sony ES series, and I have also looked at Emotiva and Outlaw separates. I did not see any HDMI connections on the Pre/Pro from Outlaw, and I'm not sure how to set up the Emo for home theater applications. With the AV receivers, as we know, it's plug and play.

The applications will mainly be for my home theater and some music (80/20). Please advise, thanks
Just my opinions. Denon is good but a little pricey for the power you get. I like Sony for TVs but not receivers; however their ES series if I got a Sony is the only one I would get ( I agree with J_Garcia I wouldn't consider). I would also look at Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo and Marantz. $1,200 is a pretty stout budget. As others said (J_Garcia, Davemcc) I would personally get a receiver. if you think you might be getting some power hungry ( 4 ohm) front speakers in the future, make sure you get a receiver that has pre-outs ( in the $1,200 price range almost all do ;) ) because then you could always add an external amp ( like Just-some-guy says the xpa-3 or upa-7 are very good external Emotiva amps). If you are looking for HDMI look for 1.3 and look for repeating rather than switching. Also, if it is important. look for upconverting, ideal is any type source to 1080p.

Isiberian has pointed you to a geat priced Onkyo TX-SR875; I seconnd that choice especially for $799.99 Very nice upconverting with Reon-HQV™ HD video scaling up to 1080p.

Good Luck!

MidCow2

P.S. - Can you tell us the rest of the story as Paul Harvey used to say about how a 3 year old could destroy a HK AVR 635 :D:);):D

radridd

radridd

Audioholic
JR Music has the onkyo TX-SR876 new - free shipping - $989

Mine will be here today! Yes I am pacing the floor!:D

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Excellent recommendation from AcuDefTechGuy

Emotiva UPA-7 Amp (125w x 7ch) for $539
Emotiva UMC-1 Pre-Pro (5 HDMI v1.3 Inputs, TrueHD, DTS-HD) for $700

Total $1,239

http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm
Now AcuDefTechGuy has proposed a great solution if you can go $39 over your budget ;)

Then if 125W/channel is not enough to drive your fronts you can always get a Behringer EP2500 for the fronts

450W @ 8Ω Stereo (per channel)*
650W @ 4Ω Stereo (per channel)*
500W @ 8Ω Stereo (per channel)**
750W @ 4Ω Stereo (per channel)**
1200W @ 2Ω Stereo (per channel)**
1300W @ 8Ω Bridged-Mono***
1500W @ 8Ω Bridged-Mono****
2400W @ 4Ω Bridged-Mono**** 1 closePlease Note:*20Hz - 20kHz @ 0.1% THD, both channels driven
**1kHz @ 0.1% THD, both channels driven
***20Hz - 20kHz @ 0.1% THD
****1kHz @ 0.1% THD

Only $279.95 from B & H Photo

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/280617-REG/Behringer_EP2500_EP2500_2_Channel_Rackmount.html

Good luck!

MidCow2

P.S. - AcuDeftechGuy also can recommend some really nice speakers ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
If you can find a pre/pro like Accudef Tech suggested within your bugdget with all teh belsl and whisltes you require, then I would definately choose that root over an AVR.

The main reason is upgradability. When new feature sets come out, the only thing you need to do is upgrade the pre/pro. Amps don't change so that part will always remain constant.

If you buy an AVR and it doesn't have enough power, and you augment it with power amps, you've effectively pirchased a prepro/amp anyway.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The main reason is upgradability. When new feature sets come out, the only thing you need to do is upgrade the pre/pro. Amps don't change so that part will always remain constant.

If you buy an AVR and it doesn't have enough power, and you augment it with power amps, you've effectively pirchased a prepro/amp anyway.
Exactly what I was going to say. With the pre/pros on the market right now that are so affordable, meaning about the same price as an AVR, I don't see why anyone would spend that much on an AVR. At the time that I bought my receiver, I would have had to have spent about $2500 or so to get separates. Not to mention, you can upgrade the amp(s) independent of the pre/pro as well, if you should need more power. If you have sufficient amplification, odds are they are going to last a LOT longer than the feature set of the pre/pro, so like 3dB said, you only need to upgrade the pre/pro.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
There are pros and cons to both approaches. Considering pre-pros can cost as much as mid level AVRs the cost benefits are questionable. IMO, nothing new is going to happen with respect to formats and connectors for a while, so the whole flexibality argument is also weak.

IMHO, the only argument that has any merit is, that a good amp can be kept for as long as it works. And, it is awesome today, it will be awesome until it fails.

If you have enough inputs and outputs, and after getting the BD Player dont intent to change your setup in the foreseeable future, get an AVR. Also, most mid level AVRs offer features only available in high end pre-pros (net audio, audessy, etc.). Almost all AVRs give you a powered Zone 2 and some even give dual HDMI outs.

Further, the main reason for getting a dedicated amp is to have an amp with enough headroom. The SVS speakers do not require a dedicated amp to drive them and you will exceed the speaker capability before running out of headroom on a good AVR.

Bottom line, get an AVR.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I do agree that a good set of separates is probably overkill for the SBS-01s, unless you are planning on upgrading the speakers soon. So an AVR is a good compromise and if you decide to go that route, all you would need to add is a pre/pro or new receiver later on. Receivers do tend to come out every year and have more features, but I don't tend to buy a receiver just on features alone, as I don't usually need all of the features that they provide.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Further, the main reason for getting a dedicated amp is to have an amp with enough headroom. The SVS speakers do not require a dedicated amp to drive them and you will exceed the speaker capability before running out of headroom on a good AVR.

Bottom line, get an AVR.
Quote above repeated for emphasis.

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
I'm with MidCow, how'd your three year old destroy your old receiver? I'm sure there's plenty of things that could be done but what did he do?

Hek, my brother squeezed an entire tube of Desitin into a VCR when he was a baby, wasn't fun to clean it up but the VCR still worked.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
There are pros and cons to both approaches. Considering pre-pros can cost as much as mid level AVRs the cost benefits are questionable. IMO, nothing new is going to happen with respect to formats and connectors for a while, so the whole flexibality argument is also weak.

IMHO, the only argument that has any merit is, that a good amp can be kept for as long as it works. And, it is awesome today, it will be awesome until it fails.

If you have enough inputs and outputs, and after getting the BD Player dont intent to change your setup in the foreseeable future, get an AVR. Also, most mid level AVRs offer features only available in high end pre-pros (net audio, audessy, etc.). Almost all AVRs give you a powered Zone 2 and some even give dual HDMI outs.

Bottom line, get an AVR.
Sort of. I think the main reason to get an external amp is to handle inefficient 4-ohm speakers or to integrate your mains and subs with EQs

But if you got a 3 year old I don't suggest doing either. Spend your time with the kid. they are only little and cute for a few years. I wouldn't do half the stuff I do if I had a 3 year old. Now when they get to be 12 or 13 then it's time to have them build their own speakers.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis