A/V receiver - Setting speaker volume level

H

Humberto

Enthusiast
Hi there!

My receiver (Pioneer VSX-D414) has a feature that allows me to increase or decrease (+10dB/-10dB) the speaker volume by pressing CH SELECT and then using LEVEL +/- on remote control.

Default setting is 0dB for all channels (5.1).

What if I set this value to +10dB for STEREO and DVD 5.1 modes? This can damage the receiver and speakers, or even increase sound distortion?

Best regards and thanks for reading:)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The channel trims are to balance the levels of each speaker so they all play at the same loudness. You either do that calibration using the internal test tones and an SPL meter or if the receiver is so equipped by using its automatic setup.

You would use Ch Sel to make on the fly adjustments. Say the center channel level didn't seem loud enough on one movie and dialog was hard to hear, you could bump it up a bit. When you turn the receiver off that change is discarded and the next time you turn it on it will revert back to the saved settings.

It is unlikely that 0 for every channel is the right setting to balance all the speakers. Without calibrating so that each is level, simply bumping them up by an arbitrary amount will just make it louder, but still not balanced.

H

Humberto

Enthusiast
The channel trims are to balance the levels of each speaker so they all play at the same loudness. You either do that calibration using the internal test tones and an SPL meter or if the receiver is so equipped by using its automatic setup.

You would use Ch Sel to make on the fly adjustments. Say the center channel level didn't seem loud enough on one movie and dialog was hard to hear, you could bump it up a bit. When you turn the receiver off that change is discarded and the next time you turn it on it will revert back to the saved settings.

It is unlikely that 0 for every channel is the right setting to balance all the speakers. Without calibrating so that each is level, simply bumping them up by an arbitrary amount will just make it louder, but still not balanced.
Thanks for your post!!!

I've used the internal test tone to calibrate the channels when watching movies on 5.1.
Since the receiver is not equipped with automatic setup and I don't have an SPL meter, I had to trust in my ears:)

I found the best setup for surround is +1.5dB above the center and main speakers levels.

My question: after having found the best balance between the 5.1 channels, is it ok bumping levels up keeping the relation of +1.5dB for surround speakers?

As an example: setting "0dB" for main and center speakers, "+1.5dB" for surround is the same that setting "+5dB" for left/center/right channels and "+6.5dB" for rear speakers. I've just got louder sound, is it correct?

The subwoofer level should be increased on the same proportion?

Best wishes!

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Channel levels

By increasing all channels by the same amount there is no effect in the surround sound performance. This is what the volume knob on your receiver is for. If you like a little extra bass for movies, then you could increase the sub level, without changing the other channels.

H

Humberto

Enthusiast
By increasing all channels by the same amount there is no effect in the surround sound performance. This is what the volume knob on your receiver is for. If you like a little extra bass for movies, then you could increase the sub level, without changing the other channels.
I totally agree with you jcPanny. I'm not being so clear in my words.

Forget about surround sound.

Suppose I set my receiver to STEREO mode. In order to avoid using the volume knob at its maximum, I rather set left/right channels levels on receiver to +5dB.
So I can get the same volume with less power from it. That's what I was thinking about.

Thanks for answering!

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Like Panny said it doesn't matter. You're still using the same amount of power whether you up the channel level or master volume. The max volume capability is decreased by the amount the channel levels are bumped up. 95 + 5 still equals 100.

H

Humberto

Enthusiast
Like Panny said it doesn't matter. You're still using the same amount of power whether you up the channel level or master volume. The max volume capability is decreased by the amount the channel levels are bumped up. 95 + 5 still equals 100.
Thanks AVRat. Satisfied with your reply!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis