A/V equipment on top of amp question..

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
I just picked up a Monster Power 2600 today and did not have another suitable location to place the unit other than right on top of my Rotel 1080 amp, I didn't want to place it there but I just didn't have any other location in the tight environment. There is about 5 inches on top of the two units with plenty of side and back open area...I figured I'd just keep an eye on any heat issues.

Should I be concerned?

In a couple of months we'll be building a room addition with a built in equipment cabinet so this current location will hopefully be temporary.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
what about under the amp? if not, put a fan on it...that should keep it cool enough you wont have to worry about it

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
coops said:
what about under the amp? if not, put a fan on it...that should keep it cool enough you wont have to worry about it
I thought about that but the 2600's diminsions are quite a bit smaller than the amp and also the weight of the amp on top of the 2600 would have been an issue I was thinking....maybe I'll take a good second look-see and possibly come up with something. The fan is certainly a must in this situation I believe.

I just really hate placing anything on top of receivers and power amps. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the suggestion Coops!

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
Privateer said:
Does the amp heat up at all?
Actually I keep the amp on darn near all of the time and thus far (4 months) I havent had any issues with heat at all. My Sunday project is to find another more suitable location for the power conditoner though...I still cringe at the thought of placing anything on an amp or reciever.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Ax-man said:
I still cringe at the thought of placing anything on an amp or reciever.
Your gut is correct. Heat kills electronics. You need plenty of ventilation around your amp. See, you didn't need to hear this from us. ;)

D

derekwwww

Audioholic
Does heat slowly kill electronics? Like say my receiver has been in a warm environment for the last 6 months or so and it does get pretty warm in itself on top of the warm room its in. Also there is no ventelation for the receiver. Its a yamaha rxv-1500 and the metal front can get hot to touch eventually when I leave it on for extended periods of time. Now I haven't noticed any difference in SQ or anything different about it, but has this actually been wrecking my receiver this hot heat? If so in what way? Will this make my receiver quite years earlier then if I would have had a fan running on it to keep it cool? Or what should I expect? This problem will be fixed once I move into my new house, but for where I am now there isnt much I can do about it. So it will be like this for another month or so. And I guess its a good thing I paid the extra $100 for 6 year warrenty then hey? Since this receiver might quit before those 6 years is up because of this? Thanks for the help guys!!!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If receivers are anything like computers, then yes Derek. Operating at high temperatures does reduce the lifespan of the components inside. Good thing you have the extended warranty and will be able to have it in a cool environment soon.

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
I moved the 2600 off of the amp this morning and although the new placement is not eye appealing I feel much better about the lifespan of the amp, and I also know in a couple of months everything will have a nice new and spacious home. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis