A Tribute to Roy F. Allison (1927-2016)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Through the years, Mr. Roy Allison was highly regarded in the audio industry and characterized by a kind, soft-spoken and self-effacing demeanor—always thoughtful and generous. He put the customer first, always, and will be missed in the high-fidelity loudspeaker industry as one of the premiere designers of the formative audio years.

This editorial is a small tribute to the life of Roy F. Allison and his contributions to loudspeakers.

Read: A Tribute to Roy F. Allison (1927-2016)

Do you or have you ever owned any Allison Acoustics speakers? If so, please share your stories and pics here.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Great article, very informative. I know about how highly regarded the classic AR speakers are, but its nice to know the mind behind those designs. I'd love to read more like these, and I don't think we should wait until these pioneering engineers and scientists pass away to pay them a tribute either. I'd love to know about the guys who made an impact, whether living, recently passed away, or long since deceased.

jinjuku

jinjuku

My first set of speakers were refurbished AR-7's. I also have to thank Denny (where ever you are) of Plazatronics Electronics Repair for hooking me up with a set, finding the cone and surround replacements and redoing the X-overs for me.

I bugged the crap out of that guy in 87-88 and he still hooked me up with my first job in High School doing Amiga's and Video Toasters, Toaster Flyers, TBC's, etc.... It beat the pant's off of minimum wage and flipping burgers.

A

awdio

Audioholic Intern
While never owning a pair of Allison speakers, just knowing a guy like Roy was active in the audio world was always a comfort. R.I.P.

Bill Mina

Bill Mina

Audiophyte
Through the years, Mr. Roy Allison was highly regarded in the audio industry and characterized by a kind, soft-spoken and self-effacing demeanor—always thoughtful and generous. He put the customer first, always, and will be missed in the high-fidelity loudspeaker industry as one of the premiere designers of the formative audio years.

This editorial is a small tribute to the life of Roy F. Allison and his contributions to loudspeakers.

Read: A Tribute to Roy F. Allison (1927-2016)

"Do you or have you ever owned any Allison Acoustics speakers? If so, please share your stories and pics here.
"

I bought my first pair of Allison Acoustics Loudspeakers (The Allison: One) in 1977. At the time I felt they were the most realistic sounding pair of speakers for the money, I had ever come across and have been hooked ever since.

Nearly 40 years later, I am proud to own the Flagship IC20 (pictured in my Avatar) and have them integrated into a surround sound application, flanked by additional 2 way Allison systems and a Velodyne HGS 18 subwoofer.

I refer to it as a marriage of time honored, and NEW technology with Emotiva's XMC-1 AV preamp as the nerve center.

That's quite an evoloution, considering that when I got my first Allison's, the compact disc player was yet to be introduced.

Bill Mina

D

djz5050

Audiophyte
I never had the pleasure of owning an Allison but had a friend in college who had a pair of cd-8s. Amazing for their size and boasted that famous Allison bass quality uncommon to other speakers of similar size. The punch they delivered was uncanny and those ring radiator tweeters imparted a unique soundstage that completed the package. I've heard the large systems but I think the cd-8s may be my favorite. Roy was an accomplished designer for sure. Sad to hear of his passing but so thankful for his many contributions to the craft

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Most of the speakers that most of us own owe something in one way or another to things this man worked on. Thanks and rest in peace Roy.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
great article about a real pioneer in our hobby. I enjoyed reading it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis