A small step towards smart home (smart bulb)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So a while ago I purchased zwave compatible touchscreen deadbolt from schlage and a hub from smartthings (before samsung bought them). Deadbolt was installed two years ago and works great sans remote connectivity. Never quite got around installing the hub. Few months ago I bought this bulb :
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01701DKVM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
price was just under $15. don't know why it's double now.
Anyhow - since I'm between jobs now - I figured why not to have a simple outdoor garage light to be on at nighttime. Sound simple enough?
Well, since the bulb is not wifi, but zwave - it requires a zwave hub like smartthings
got it connected and configured with ipad app. I gotta say - the apps is simple to use, but maybe too simple and since this is really iphone app, it looks crap on ipad. On android (for reasons beyond me) it requires access to contact list and refuses to work without the access. So, pass on android version.

So, config was pretty easy. Cree light was recognized by hub without big efforts and schedule to turn-on at night, off morning was set very easily. Tonight we'll see if it actually works as advertised. If it works well, I might actually add my door lock to smart as well.

Point of concern - it seems to be relying on "cloud" service and I am NOT big fan of these. If I knew in advance, I'd rather go with another solution.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
But "the cloud is the future" :rolleyes:

And the past......

Yeah, I don't really buy into this cloud gimmick either. It's nice for accessing pics and docs from anywhere, but I certainly don't put all my eggs in 1 basket.

And, don't even get me started on the MS Office subscription business model :rolleyes:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
But "the cloud is the future" :rolleyes:

And the past......

Yeah, I don't really buy into this cloud gimmick either. It's nice for accessing pics and docs from anywhere, but I certainly don't put all my eggs in 1 basket.

And, don't even get me started on the MS Office subscription business model :rolleyes:
The way I see it - cloud is for nice to have add-ons, like photo or other data sync, not something I would like to rely on on things like home security. How many times we have to step on same rakes - then your particular "cloud" is going of favor and services shuts down - your devices becomes a paperweight.

At Least I could always get another zwave hub which doesn't require hosted service.

As for Office, at least you could still get it at fixed one time price, but with most of Adobe software - you can't any longer. It's only with subscription.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@BoredSysAdmin Have you made the jump to a smart thermostat yet?
Not yet. But close. I'm cheap and trying to squeeze the juice out of programming features of old fashioned 7 days thermostat, BUT spring is upon us and big temp swings are coming soon so getting at least one of these "smart" thermostat might be prudent.

On another note first test of programming failed. the bulb switches on and off from controller, but failed to start automatically tonight.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
On another note first test of programming failed. the bulb switches on and off from controller, but failed to start automatically tonight.
Ok, I think I figured it out, digging a bit deep shown me that the automation default actions such as "Good Morning!" and "Good Night!" haven't been actually set any times or triggers by default. Imho this is counter intuitive. Luckily sunset/sunrise are available triggers. We'll see tomorrow morning if light switches off.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Not yet. But close. I'm cheap and trying to squeeze the juice out of programming features of old fashioned 7 days thermostat, BUT spring is upon us and big temp swings are coming soon so getting at least one of these "smart" thermostat might be prudent.

I've got occupancy sensors installed in my garage, mud room, and pantry. I'd install one in the master closet as well if my wife would let me. But it's super nice to have lights turn on automatically if I've got my arms loaded with groceries, then turn off if no motion is detected for 5 minutes.

For thermostat, I've got a Honeywell 9590, and I love it. Setting it to turn on the heat when we wake up, turn off while we're at work, cool air when we return home from work, and off when we sleep keeps the house comfortable when we need it to be and saves us money when we aren't using it. Only thing I don't like about it is that the temporary schedule changes (vacation mode and stay home from work mode) are cumbersome to program. It's not a feature we use very often, though, so that issue is easy to ignore.

The Honeywell 9580 is a pretty decent price, only lacking the voice control feature of the 9590. When I was in the market for mine, I read a bunch of comparisons between the Honeywell, the Nest, and the Ecobee offerings before settling on the Honeywell. For one thing, they've got a strong reputation for reliability. For another, the Honeywell lets you explicitly specify your desired schedule, whereas the Nest learns your habits over time. I forget what it was about the Ecobee I didn't like -- maybe just its unpopularity and unverified longevity?

Anyway, do with that information what you will. *shrug* But before deciding, it wouldn't be a bad idea to remove your existing thermostat from the wall and examine the wiring. If you don't have a "C" wire, that will limit your options for smart thermostats.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, smart thermostats are hard to choice. Lots of decent options. Honeywells are certainly in the running, but for now my heart is set on Ecobee. I forgot who here's got one, but he mentioned that there is feature of turning of ventilator (without heat/cold) every 10 mins - I think that alone could be a huge deal. Obviously It must be able to automatically switch heat/cold systems.
I recently played with few of these toys in local home depot. Again ecobee seemed to be better made (materials and design) than others.

And you're spot on with Nest - I don't particularly care for drifting temps or vague imprecise settings. Plus again - without cloud it would be a paperweight.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, smart thermostats are hard to choice. Lots of decent options. Honeywells are certainly in the running, but for now my heart is set on Ecobee. I forgot who here's got one, but he mentioned that there is feature of turning of ventilator (without heat/cold) every 10 mins - I think that alone could be a huge deal. Obviously It must be able to automatically switch heat/cold systems.
I recently played with few of these toys in local home depot. Again ecobee seemed to be better made (materials and design) than others.

And you're spot on with Nest - I don't particularly care for drifting temps or vague imprecise settings. Plus again - without cloud it would be a paperweight.
The Honeywell does auto switch heat and cold, but it requires 3 degrees difference between the heat and cooling temperature thresholds. Not a big deal, though. I can just schedule temps of 71 / 74 in the mornings, 68 / 71 in the evenings, and a gap of 12 degrees while at work or asleep so the HVAC stays turned off when not needed. The fan modes are "On" (where the fan runs constantly), "Auto" (where the fan runs only when heating or cooling), and "Circulate" (where the fan runs randomly about 35% of the time).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The fan modes are "On" (where the fan runs constantly), "Auto" (where the fan runs only when heating or cooling), and "Circulate" (where the fan runs randomly about 35% of the time).
That circulate feature is what I'm looking for. Obviously since my hvac system is based on forces air, it would have to run on heating/cooling cycles, but circulate could potentially decrease these noticeably.
35% of time seems like acceptable number, but I am curious if this something you could tweak (ie without hacking it of course).
Another idea is to use remotely controlled dehumidifier - mine is not smart, but I figure all I need is zwave adapter for it.

Reducing humidity could allow for a bit higher temps in the summer, and here they are very humid.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
That circulate feature is what I'm looking for. Obviously since my hvac system is based on forces air, it would have to run on heating/cooling cycles, but circulate could potentially decrease these noticeably.
35% of time seems like acceptable number, but I am curious if this something you could tweak (ie without hacking it of course)
There doesn't seem to be a setting for that in the Android app. I haven't checked on the thermostat panel itself, but I suspect it's no different from the app.

The Honeywell allows for scheduling four different periods per day -- wake, leave, return, and sleep. And of course you can override at any time as needed. Do you know whether the Ecobee offers more than 4 daily schedule blocks?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The Honeywell allows for scheduling four different periods per day -- wake, leave, return, and sleep. And of course you can override at any time as needed. Do you know whether the Ecobee offers more than 4 daily schedule blocks?
thanks.
Since I don't own it and it's kind of in-depth question, here's best answer I could give you:
Your Smart Thermostat is flexible – you can program four or more different time periods per day, seven days a week
source:https://ecobee.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/227876387-Programming-your-Smart-Thermostat

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
thanks.
Since I don't own it and it's kind of depth question, here's best answer I could give you:

source:https://ecobee.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/227876387-Programming-your-Smart-Thermostat
That's a pretty strong selling point. Another is that the Ecobee3 offers room-by-room temperature sensors. This'll be nice when Ecobee and Keen Home solidify their partnership, and the Ecobee will be able to control smart vents to reduce or increase air flow room-by-room as needed. The smart vent covers are about $80 each, though.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Reducing humidity could allow for a bit higher temps in the summer, and here they are very humid.
Agreed. Sometimes I turn on the AC for a little while just to get humidity out of the air, not necessarily for cooling the hot air.

But, Texas Summers, you need AC all day long for both heat and humidity. I tend to keep my home a bit cooler than many people, I really don't like it to get above about 72F or 73F while I'm home, and I'm good down to about 65F for the winter. I work too hard and sweat too much at work to come home and continue to sweat. I insist to be nice and comfortable when I'm at home.

We had like 1 week of winter in Texas this year! And, not even 1 continuous week. We did get 2 deep freezes for a few days, a deep freeze in TX is considered lowers 20s F.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay. So bulb did turned off by itself at sunrise. So far so good

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
est victoria. It turned on at sunset (or more accurately 60 mins after it as planned)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
ehh... This is just almost daily crap now. Another cloud dependent device gets bumped.
Home router got broken, because cloud provider (google in this case) had a brief hiccup. According to comments for some even factory reset didn't help.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/02/23/google-onhub-wifi-units-randomly-dying-people-requiring-factory-resets/
Cloud computing is a myth, anyway. The cloud is really just someone else's computer. IOT merely adds an additional point of failure, and is but one redneck who didn't call before he dug away from uselessness. One more reason to be happy with my Tomato-loaded Asus RT-AC68U.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I use a combination of a Vera Plus and Homeassistant to do all of my automation and it works great. Vera doesn't have to be connected though it would like you to be.

You can always get zigbee and zwave usb sticks and Homeassistant will work with those too. Pretty sweet software for being OS.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis