A quick setup question

abefroeman

abefroeman

Audioholic
I am running 2-channel system that pre-outs and ins. They are connected by those little U shaped jumpers. Can I connect to a sub that has low level in and low level out with RCA connections? It would be pre-out to low-level-in and low-level-out to pre-in. I know this is noob, but I have never hooked up a sub before and I want to buy the right kind.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That loop is intended for the insertion of a processor between the pre and amp stage or to go straight to an external amp. I suppose you'll have to try it out and see, as I can't say for sure what the sub passes back - whatever is fed to it or is it low passed at the sub? My guess is it will work, but it will also be passing through the sub and that may introduce noise. I would think it would be easier to insert a Y splitter and send the signal to each of them rather than looping back. This unit doesn't have any "normal" pre outs?

abefroeman

abefroeman

Audioholic
i dont think so, what are the outpus for tape 1 and 2?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Tape loops often have fixed level outputs for recording, so they may not work. I'd probably just go with a Y splitter or speaker level out. If you have B speaker outs and speaker level inptus on the sub, you can run the sub that way as well.

B

brendy

Audioholic
Yes it can be connected using the pre outs & ins the way you described.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
abefroeman said:
I am running 2-channel system that pre-outs and ins. They are connected by those little U shaped jumpers. Can I connect to a sub that has low level in and low level out with RCA connections? It would be pre-out to low-level-in and low-level-out to pre-in. I know this is noob, but I have never hooked up a sub before and I want to buy the right kind.
Yes, you can. The way you describe, the sub will return the signal, usually less the bass the sub handled*, to your main amp. This means your main amp will be relieved of having to do the heavy lifting the bass called for. Thjis also means thet your main speakers won't see any bass.

another method that will allow to use your main amp and speakers full range is to get hold of a pair of "Y" connectors with two males and one female. Replace the jumper by using the two males and run an interconnect from the dangling females to your R/L sub inputs. Adjust the crossover and level on your sub so that it cuts in where your mains fall off. Ideally, this should result in a seamless blend, but it may take some time to dial it in. Take your time; it can be done. Personally, I prefer this method.

Most subs will do this, but it may be at a higher frequency than you want and may not be adjustable. Read your sub manual for more details

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis