A new Oppo Blu-ray player coming soon!

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
According to Oppo's Facebook presence . . .

" We will be announcing a lower-cost Blu-ray player in early January 2010. Visit www.oppodigital.com around that time to learn more."

Which goes right along with what quite a few people have been saying about the Oppo BDP-83: take out the m/c analog outs and take out the SACD/DVD-A support, and lower the price a lot. I wonder how much they'll be charging for this new player. Although there are plenty of low-cost players out there, it's great to see Oppo trying to tap into a bigger market. My only concern with this player is: will they cut costs to this player by using a lower-quality upscaler for DVD?

cheers,
supervij

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
To all those who've been waiting for this, your welcome. ;)

/Bought mine a month figuring they wouldn't release a cheaper version AFTER xmas.
//wife still gives me crap about my oppo 'purse'

itschris

itschris

I think one of the features that's really gaining momentum is streaming from provider like Netflix. It opens up a whole new door for enjoying what you have. I'm giving my current bd player away and was planning on getting the new LG player. It's a great option because there's a lot of free content that you can view and it opens the door to a new audience who now can get much more efficient use and value out of a new player.

I'm wondering if OPPO has that feature in mind. They'd almost be creating an obsolete player if they don't.

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
Agreed. Adding Netflix, dropping SACD/DVD-A and this will be a really solid player for the masses. Youtube, pandora, amazon, etc would be icing on the cake, but Netflix would guarantee I buy this for my parents.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Now that the BDA has finalized the 3D spec, you don't suppose that Oppo will incorporate that into the new player, do you?

Naah.

cheers,
supervij

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder if the BDP-83 has the inherent ability to stream Netflix, so that they could update the firmware for it if Oppo gets an agreement with Netflix.

itschris

itschris

I wonder if the BDP-83 has the inherent ability to stream Netflix, so that they could update the firmware for it if Oppo gets an agreement with Netflix.
I love my OPPO DVD player and still use it because it does DVD better than my Sony Blu-Ray. However, I wouldn't buy an OPPO that doesn't have streaming capability. I dismissed that feature as a gimmick at first, but it was foolish on my part. When I think about it now, I only see how much it actually broadens the ability to utilize my system. Squeezing satisfaction out of every dollar you spend is key and becoming a greater requirement for this industry as the computer/internet/audio/video platforms integrate and appeal to and become "wants" of the mainstream buyer.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Well then, good news for you, as I just noticed this on blu-ray.com:

"A company representative also revealed that they are investigating several streaming options."

That's it. No more info at this point.

cheers,
supervij

itschris

itschris

Well then, good news for you, as I just noticed this on blu-ray.com:

"A company representative also revealed that they are investigating several streaming options."

That's it. No more info at this point.

cheers,
supervij
Well there you have it! Thanks for the info. Perhaps I'll hold off to see what they come out with. It's good to know that some companies actually understand and care about what we want.

I bet they just read this post and figured they'd better add that feature. :D

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the heads up on lower cost oppo player. I was ready, literally today, to order a Panny BD60 and a new AVR to go with it. I will now be waiting to see what oppo has coming. Loved two of their players I have owned. Streaming is a must-have for me also though.

Hard to imagine they will be even close to the $200 and under models that are getting high marks right now though. Given their current list price, nothing higher than $350 makes much sense to me, but how much lower can they go?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Here's the thing I don't get: if you are buying a BD player, why would you need it to stream lower resolution video and stereo audio? I don't see why people feel this is a needed feature? I have Netflix, but the streaming quality so far is average. Convenient yes, but quality? Not especially.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Here's the thing I don't get: if you are buying a BD player, why would you need it to stream lower resolution video and stereo audio? I don't see why people feel this is a needed feature? I have Netflix, but the streaming quality so far is average. Convenient yes, but quality? Not especially.
It's more than convenience. It's about possible future proofing, as well.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Here's the thing I don't get: if you are buying a BD player, why would you need it to stream lower resolution video and stereo audio?
I think people like it because it let's them watch everything from Netflix (discs and streaming content) using one component.

I have Netflix, but the streaming quality so far is average. Convenient yes, but quality? Not especially.
Is it due to your bandwidth? My default quality is pretty lousy, but when I manually force the bitrate up, it's really quite good.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think people like it because it let's them watch everything from Netflix (discs and streaming content) using one component.
No it doesn't. You can only stream movies that are available to be streamed. That is less than half of the titles available from them.

Is it due to your bandwidth? My default quality is pretty lousy, but when I manually force the bitrate up, it's really quite good.
Can you change the bitrate on a stand alone player? I know you can on a PC, but you can't do this on the PS3.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Can you change the bitrate on a stand alone player? I know you can on a PC.
That I don't know. When I was browsing at Best Buy over the summer, the salesman said that I could do that on the Samsung that I was looking at - but I always take their input with a grain of salt (well, salt lick is more like it). He did seem pretty knowledgeable, though.

I forget - which player do you have?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
see above. PS3 which streams via the BD-J disc Netflix provides you at this time. There's a rumor that they may release an update that will allow you to stream without the disc.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
see above. PS3 which streams via the BD-J disc Netflix provides you at this time. There's a rumor that they may release an update that will allow you to stream without the disc.
Gotcha.

I would definitely research whether a player would let me manually set the bitrate if I were in the market, considering my download speeds of 1.5 Mbps.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
If this new player has Netflix streaming and comes in at $299 or less, I'll buy one in a second.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis