A little project I'm working on.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
This project is still in it's very early stages but I thought I'd share. I have no idea when it will be done or what the final configuration will be, but this is where I am now.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Nice Dave. Have you been buying this stuff locally or searching around for it? Are you going to get a pre as well?

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Nice Dave. Have you been buying this stuff locally or searching around for it? Are you going to get a pre as well?
The pre is also coming, as is one of those strobe tuner signal finder things. The best part is it's free from a family member who feels I would be the best one to pass this stuff down to. The pre and signal locator simply need to be found amongst piles of other stuff. I may also be able to get a similar vintage and quality turntable.

Nice, Dave! What vintage are those?
I believe the original receipts were dated in the early 70's, maybe '71 or 72?

I'm thinking that I will probably run this stuff through the Dynaudio in full range but I might try to run them with the Hsu sub as well...it depends. At least that way, I can put the Era D5 back in the main system. I have my basement nearly gutted so I will have to build the space to put this stuff in. That gives me options but will take time. It's a long term project.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I believe the original receipts were dated in the early 70's, maybe '71 or 72?
I'm old enough to remember drooling over Mac gear in those days. Back in the 70s and 80s when Macintosh and Crown were the Rolls-Royces of the audio world.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Nice Dave thats going to be sweet when its done......I love me some McIntosh amps........nice glow:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I may also be able to get a similar vintage and quality turntable.
Me and 3db hate you. :D

Nice score. You really hit the vintage scene with a home run with that Mac gear.
You still don't believe that God loves you, huh? What's it gonna take, Dave? He's reaching out to you. :)

j/k and congrats.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan

Nice score. You really hit the vintage scene with a home run with that Mac gear.
You still don't believe that God loves you, huh? What's it gonna take, Dave? He's reaching out to you. :)

j/k and congrats.
Who's the real king of free stuff here? How are Greg's panels working out for you?:p

I don't know about this God person you speak of but I'm nearly certain my Mom loves me and she has more influence in who gets dear old gramps' vintage gear than He does.:p

This equipment hasn't been used in many years. Some of it hasn't been seen in a decade or more. I know the amp works because I used it a couple years ago.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
This equipment hasn't been used in many years. Some of it hasn't been seen in a decade or more. I know the amp works because I used it a couple years ago.
I would want to hear from TLS or Rick about the best way to put juice to those long unused components. I'm not going to speak above my pay grade but there is a correct way to go about this and it's not just plugging it in. Audio Karma is a good source of info on vintage gear. I suspect you know this already but I just wanted to be sure.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I would want to hear from TLS or Rick about the best way to put juice to those long unused components. I'm not going to speak above my pay grade but there is a correct way to go about this and it's not just plugging it in. Audio Karma is a good source of info on vintage gear. I suspect you know this already but I just wanted to be sure.
Good advice. I hope to hear from some guys that have more knowledge of vintage gear.

H

Hasselhof

Audioholic Intern
I too remember the days When the latest Mac or Crown was thing to own. Actually im not sure if that has changed so much. Not all development is progress. I wouldent be afraid to put an old Crown PSA 2 or the MAC featured here up against a 2010 runn of the mill amp.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

j/k and congrats.
very nice... love the green glow look :) despite hating you. :D

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If it's solid state, you should be able to plug it in and turn it on. SS doesn't use the high voltages tubes do. If any of it uses tubes, it may help to start at a lower voltage and bring it up slower but it's not always necessary. An incandescent light bulb in series on the power cord would limit current in the event that a filter cap goes away- this can be made pretty easily, using a simple bare bulb fixture and an extension cord. The bulb MUST be in series, though.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
How far along are you in the restoration? :)
Ummm ... it's Dave.
Dave's lazy.
He brought the gear into his house.
He put the gear down.
The gear is still there.
We're lucky he took two pic's and posted.
Don't push it. :)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Ummm ... it's Dave.
Dave's lazy.
He put the gear down.
The gear is still there.
Slow and steady wins the race Dave...don't let Uncle Oscar rush you.:)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ummm ... it's Dave.
Dave's lazy.
He put the gear down.
The gear is still there.
maybe Dave has a job or something.... ;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
maybe Dave has a job or something.... ;)
Ouch ... I'm a little sensitive because of my on again off again employment history but if that was a jab I think you scored a TKO. I'll be gunning for ya ... you, you ... well, something nasty. ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ouch ... I'm a little sensitive because of my on again off again employment history but if that was a jab I think you scored a TKO. I'll be gunning for ya ... you, you ... well, something nasty. ;)
How to win friends and influence peopel..maybe I should write that book *LOL* My apologies Alex...I was unaware of your employment woes.. Me bad!!! ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis