A little help with speakers please.

To buy, or not to buy? that is the question...

• Buy AJ's speaker set.

• Keep the current speakers.

Results are only viewable after voting.
sideskroll

sideskroll

Audiophyte
Hi guys, I'm new on these forums and I'm very, very sorry if this first post comes out kinda lord helmet-ish but it's a matter of ASAP.
A guy I know is selling me the Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS speaker system (minus the sub) for $ 400 new in the box (which I know might be a not so good price in the states but I live in Perú, where the same system runs for AT LEAST $ 150 more in stores)
Thing is, I already have my HT set-up so this would be an "unnecessary upgrade" if you will (based solely on the good reviews the speakers get up and down the net)
So my question is: Should I spend the money and upgrade my system? Will I be able to HEAR the difference? (you know, REAL WORLD audible differences.) Or would it be basically the same/maybe worse?

My reciever: VSX-823
Speakers: Pioneer S-RS77TB
Sub (if needed, although that one is staying with me upgrade or not): S-RS3SW (kinda decent sounding actually)

(Since my speakers are LQ, and apparently only sold in Latin America and India? I think? I'm attaching the spec sheet as a clickable thumbnail. The Andrew Jones system and my receivers sheets are widely available but if you prefer, I could upload them as well.)

System will double as HI-Fi and Home Theatre (if it makes any difference)

Thanks in advance.
And again, sorry if this comes out kinda lord helmet-ish but I would really appreciate a fast response since those speakers are going either to me or to someone else and I would hate to lose the price.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The difference is "Andrew Jones", same guy who worked on multi-thousand dollar systems and then asked to work on budget speakers - he tried to bring maximum possible quality to the speakers at that price point. They weren't ideal and infact they (bookshelves) were noticeably improved by Dennis Murphy with new tweeter and crossover changes. But due to issues with supply chain economics he no longer makes this mod.
So, I haven't heard your system speaker and I guess not many people did, but I will you this example:
Let's say that you're looking for multi-purpose compute system
You could compare your current speakers to Nintendo console, but SP-PK52FS is much closer to real Apple's iMac computer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis