D

Defcon

Audioholic
1. Sealed subs benefit from room gain. Does the layout matter? e.g will I see same room gain in a single closed off 3000 ft^3 room vs a 3000 ft^3 apt in which there are rooms but all doors are open? Air volume should still pressurize same in both right?

2. What would be the equivalent commercial sub to this - http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7099? i.e. how much to I need to spend at e.g. PSA/HSU to get same performance?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You need to state what kind of amplifier you are using before anyone can tell you how that would match one of these manufacture direct subs. Let's say you bought an iNuke3000 for that thing, that would do the trick. Look at these measurements. For the CEA measurements, that tester is using a 20 kW amplifier, although that extreme juice benefits upper bass frequencies more. You are talking about a relatively high performance 18" driver with a good amp. I think you would have to spend at least $1500 to get something that can equal that, maybe more.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
Thanks.

I plan to use a iNuke 3000, people on Avs said its better to go with a 6000 for that driver. But then again lots of people tell me 2 subs is the bare minimum :)

I did look at data-bass and its hard to believe those graphs, it beats pretty much all the most expensive subs there and even when I compare it with a more expensive driver like the SI HST-18, the UM18 is much higher in the Basic Response graph.

Can you give your thoughts on #1?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Ultimax 18 may be able to take the power of the iNuke6000, but if that amplifier is rated accurately at all, the Ultimax would not be able to take that kind of power for long. It would cook the driver. Even the iNuke3000 should have enough juice to cook the driver, but it should be more difficult. I would use the iNuke6000 to power two Ultimax 18s.

Regarding data-bass graphs, do not use the basic response graphs to compare output. That graph does not measure output, it only measures the shape of the frequency response at nominal levels. To compare maximum output, use either the CEA-2010 Max Burst graph of the Maximum Long Term Output.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis