A/B Comparing Receivers DOs and DON'Ts? Spent $2,600 to compare Marantz SR7005 vs Yamaha

A

avengineer

Banned
Compare Pure Direct 2.1 mode (Set Large, LFE+Main) on the Marantz vs the Stereo or Straight 2.1 (Large, LFE+Main) on the Yamaha.

Compare the RC of Marantz vs RC of Yamaha.
Well, that certainly would compare apples to apples, but what if you like oranges? With it all set for PD, you won't hear any difference. I would compare both AVRs, fully set up, RC engaged and properly calibrated, speaker configuration as it will be used. Avoid comparisons in configs that you'll never use, it serves no purpose. Mostly likely what you'll end up comparing is the two different RC systems. In PD/Straight there's nothing going on to compare unless perhaps you run things to clipping. For me, it's about the feature set. Once stripped down to PD/Straight, nobody can actually determine a difference in an ABX test.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
If you want to compare apples to apples, then the comparison has to be pure direct to pure direct with no subwoofer at play; 2.0 . Putting the Yamaha in Straight mode so that it can access the subwoofer is not pure direct for the Yamaha and engages additional DSP that is not engaged in the Marantz. Not a fair comparison. However, all this is moot as both receivers will sound the same if level matched to speakers' whose load are within the intended design envelope of the receivers.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would be very surprised if you could detect a convincing difference between the SQ from these two receivers. Both should do a very good job and the delay from switching between them is going to lead to uncertainty of any nuances you might think you heard.
Really, I believe the decision between these two units is more about features and usability. Don't forget to evaluate the other RC (remote control) unless you use a universal remote.

As far as upgrading goes, I would probably return both units if it is not too much hassle. Essentially, you just realized an upgrade to your receiver. Enjoy it and consider if you've got a better place to put that money.

On the other hand, NEW RECEIVER!:D

Edit: I just saw your other thread and it sounds like you will definitely be upgrading!

Last edited:
bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
I would be very surprised if you could detect a convincing difference between the SQ from these two receivers. Both should do a very good job and the delay from switching between them is going to lead to uncertainty of any nuances you might think you heard.
Really, I believe the decision between these two units is more about features and usability. Don't forget to evaluate the other RC (remote control) unless you use a universal remote.

As far as upgrading goes, I would probably return both units if it is not too much hassle. Essentially, you just realized an upgrade to your receiver. Enjoy it and consider if you've got a better place to put that money.

On the other hand, NEW RECEIVER!:D

Edit: I just saw your other thread and it sounds like you will definitely be upgrading!

Not necesarily. I am more training my ears and now not as scared to try to figure out these units. This Marantz receiver is fairly simple. It's true, i already forgot how my yamaha rxv465 sounded. I only remember and can compare specific movies that i heard 1000 times.

i see people loving Anthem receivers. I wish it would be simple to get that unit to try for 30 days, however i don't even see where i can buy one.

in reality i do want to upgrade my receiver. With all my other audio equipment it does look like my Yamaha is the weak link. I just want to get a good deal on a receiver that gives me the best sound possible. I am not in the search for latest and greatest. Just better sound for regulartv programming and movies. Music as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis