T

Trevor Dennis

Audiophyte
I've been running a Yamaha RX-V6A for a couple of years now. When I was researching the purchase I misunderstood the specs, and thought that you could connect speakers to all nine sockets, and that the receiver would automatically switch between them depending on content. So I went to great trouble putting speakers in the ceiling which was one heck of a job as I am in my 70s and overweight. Anyway, it turns out I was wrong and you can only connect to the Presence or Surround sockets. I'm not really getting how this works.

If it comes to it, I'll get another receiver that would drive all nine speakers (plus two subs), but after some time on Google, I'm thinking I could get it wrong again if I am not careful, as the specs seem a bit ambiguous with some of the receivers.

I'd be beyond grateful for an explanation of how the V6A works, and if I could configure it better? I'd also be interested in what receiver I could get that would definitely drive all nine speakers plus the two subs? I am also wondering about using the ceiling (presence) speakers instead of the surround, and how that would sound?

Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, they advertise the RX-V6A as a 7.2 receiver. Reminds me when I got my first 7.1 avr but had possibility of two different surround setups (so perhaps a total of 9 different channels, but only 7 simultaneously both due limited processing and its internal amps but I certainly had convinced myself somehow I could use all 9 simultaneously....I had a choice of front heights or rear surrounds with that unit). The ".2" can be deceiving as many times it just means it has an internal splitter (something you can do for yourself with a ".1" avr with a simple y-splitter) to support the same signal to two subs, altho there are some units that have independent delay/level available for multiple subs (like the upper end Denon & Marantz units for example). AVRs don't "drive" subs, they just provide a pre-out for a sub's own amp.

You have a 5ch or 7ch bed layer? How many speakers did you mount in the ceiling? You could do 5ch bed layer and add 2 front presence speakers. Have you reviewed the various speaker setup options in your manual?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
An AVR that will power all 9 speakers would be the Yamaha RX-A6A or Denon X3800.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis