80hz Crossover on large floor standing setup

Kip_Dynamite

Kip_Dynamite

Enthusiast
All my avrs have a pure direct mode.
I shall have to look in the manual of my STR-DH790 maybe it will switch it from Small to large in some modes. When they include a set of features in an AVR they should consider the occaisions when people are running without the sub. None of this would be a very big problem as long as an easy convenient sub level or sub muting feature was really easy to access.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I shall have to look in the manual of my STR-DH790 maybe it will switch it from Small to large in some modes. When they include a set of features in an AVR they should consider the occaisions when people are running without the sub. None of this would be a very big problem as long as an easy convenient sub level or sub muting feature was really easy to access.
Per page 41 of your manual the 2ch stereo mode doesn't use the sub. https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4726/890436b47fd2ffcc4003f34dc5f2592c/47269051M.pdf

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This helps me as well. Lots of people like a fuller range of listening for a 2-channel mode. I am one who has RP-8000f II that seem to offer not much reason to need a subwoofer. Of course a major caveat, this is while feeding it with a Sansui 2000. I am pretty sure I am hearing your headroom point when I switch between the Sansui and an AVR.
With that being the case I think it should be required that ALL AVRs have a mode that offers 2 channel that guarantees the 80hz crossover is disabled for that mode. I am very curious how much help a large expensive floorstander offers in midrange OVER a similarly driver sized bookshelf. With that 80hz engaged.
SVS offers systems that are 1 sub and 5 of their satellites. I would say that system NEEDS everything but the sub crossed at 80hz
IMO the tower, assuming it’s well designed and executed will have many advantages over a BS speaker above 80hz (and obviously below). In most cases, the BS speaker even if it has the same sized woofer, say 8”, will only have one. A competent tower will usually have two or three, and possibly more cabinet volume. That will increase its sensitivity. It will also spread the thermal load and amp power between those multiple woofers/midrange drivers. So basically you’ll have a speaker that’s easier to drive with more dynamic potential and less distortion. This is important considering how much energy is in the midrange, say even from 400hz to maybe 3000hz. A single woofer/tweeter just can’t do the same job.
Not sure why the Sansui would be a caveat. I’d think it would be an asset, although the RP8000’s should be easy to drive in any case. Unless of course you listening at very high levels. If they need a sub is dependent on a few things, mainly music choices. My mains are good to the low 30’s but for me a subwoofer(i use three) is essential.

Kip_Dynamite

Kip_Dynamite

Enthusiast
IMO the tower, assuming it’s well designed and executed will have many advantages over a BS speaker above 80hz (and obviously below). In most cases, the BS speaker even if it has the same sized woofer, say 8”, will only have one. A competent tower will usually have two or three, and possibly more cabinet volume. That will increase its sensitivity. It will also spread the thermal load and amp power between those multiple woofers/midrange drivers. So basically you’ll have a speaker that’s easier to drive with more dynamic potential and less distortion. This is important considering how much energy is in the midrange, say even from 400hz to maybe 3000hz. A single woofer/tweeter just can’t do the same job.
Not sure why the Sansui would be a caveat. I’d think it would be an asset, although the RP8000’s should be easy to drive in any case. Unless of course you listening at very high levels. If they need a sub is dependent on a few things, mainly music choices. My mains are good to the low 30’s but for me a subwoofer(i use three) is essential.
The Sansui is a caveat because you stated headroom. To me headroom will be dependent on the power of the amp versus the sensitivity of the speaker. My AVR doesn't drive the Towers anything like the Sansui. It's not even a contest. I can over pressurize with the Sansui into the towers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Sansui is a caveat because you stated headroom. To me headroom will be dependent on the power of the amp versus the sensitivity of the speaker. My AVR doesn't drive the Towers anything like the Sansui. It's not even a contest. I can over pressurize with the Sansui into the towers.
Makes me wonder why your lesser powered Sansui yields higher spl than the Sony.

Kip_Dynamite

Kip_Dynamite

Enthusiast
50 k ohm 2.5mV example phono on sansui
100 k ohm 150mV AUX on sansui
50k ohm 500mv analog input on Sony DH 790
Above are the input sensitivity ratings in the manuals
I did notice the analog input of the Sony is very quiet and thus much more volume increase is needed to match levels with the same signal level on the inputs
The sony has much more volume when using the internal DAC coming off of the HDMI
I would say it might be less than fair to compare the two of them with the same input levels on an L R RCA input.
Maybe with a huge preamp feeding the Sony will help.
I know when matching the levels at any volume the Sansui will always sound far more dynamic. That could even up more with a big pre-level boost.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What were you comparing it to ?
I just meant my gear from back then. I still have some of it. There might have been some more conservatively rated amps back then, but looking at the specs for your units, the Sony should have the power advantage even so.

Kip_Dynamite

Kip_Dynamite

Enthusiast
I just meant my gear from back then. I still have some of it. There might have been some more conservatively rated amps back then, but looking at the specs for your units, the Sony should have the power advantage even so.
I may be seeing a big difference in the input sensitivity

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis