$800 Pair of _________ Towers

J

Jack09

Audiophyte
Which towers should I get that would be around $800 a pair or close to $800? Mainly for Movies and music. Small room around 10x11ish

I've heard of the:
JBL 570's
HTD 3's
BIC-PL89
etc.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

J

Jack09

Audiophyte
Thanks. I have Def tech 800 bookshelves that I used to have. And I just recently purchased a Paradigm Cinema Phantom V3 set of towers. But I'm feeling like I can still upgrade and was looking at better towers to get a better feel of bass and fuller sound.

I probably will get the JBL 570's. But I just really want to make sure that I get a vast/semi-vast upgrade over my current set up.

BTW I have a Denon AVR-E300 running my 5.1 with cheap rear's and sub, but a Def Tech 1000 center. Was looking to upgrade the sub soon. But obviously the L/R is most important.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
But I'm feeling like I can still upgrade and was looking at better towers to get a better feel of bass and fuller sound.

I probably will get the JBL 570's. But I just really want to make sure that I get a vast/semi-vast upgrade over my current set up.
It is about you and what you want - and if bass is the main thing you are interested in
from a set of towers - then go with the HTD Level Three towers, they will hit low in your
room.

If bass was not the overall key thing for you - then I would go with JBL studio 570

Now if you want the bass - then the HSU VTF-2 will more than handle your room,
and is on sale
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

You can go with bookshelf speakers that play below 80 hz - and then cross them
over to the HSU sub - and it can be an ear and eye opener for you

Your call

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Energy had some good towers back when I was listening. Right now I see a lot of Infinity Beta towers on craigslist for great deals that certainly are worth considering.

J

Jack09

Audiophyte
I think overall quality would outweigh my need for bass so I think I'm gonna go with the 570's. I appreciate your help.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
I just don't know if I like the HTD level 3 towers with an 8" crossed to a 2" midrange, then crossed to a ribbon that's horn loaded. I don't know enough to know completely if that's a horrible move or not, but I think I know enough to make a conversation about it lol. I wonder if the ribbon gets nasty around 1.5khz or so and instead of crossing from a 6.5" or 8" directly to the horn, they need a smoother transition. You still have a single 2" playing down to 725hz/18dB. Interesting to say the least...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
A bit above the budget, but new svs prime towers look very interesting.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
I think that on eBay Polk store they have some Polk R Ti12 towers on sale for about 800. Free shipping too.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think that on eBay Polk store they have some Polk R Ti12 towers on sale for about 800. Free shipping too.
This would be probably worst option so far and by far. Polks doesn't have great speakers before top-end LSI/m series and they cost WAY too much.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
The OP said 800.00 dollar speakers and I was just going with that. Ive not heard the other speakers he has suggested and I was close to pulling the trigger on these till I got a great deal on my B&W's. Just my .02 that's all BSA. I mean I think the primes are ideal for him also but didn't know how much he could stretch his budget.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Dear Bearst2,
I stand by my opinion of polk are not good value to say at the least.
As far as budget goes - audio is a hobby for most of us. It is not something one cannot live without, thus imo its always worth to recommend a better product which is worth waiting and saving up a bit more.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
As usual we stand by our disagreements on product,and of course I respect that. But are both trying to get the OP to buy product that neither of us have, How really can we be the experts and advise others of what we would get when we don't even have it. The only thing I can say for sure (don't know about you) is that I probably will not buy another Onkyo. LOL

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The only thing I can say for sure (don't know about you) is that I probably will not buy another Onkyo. LOL
Amen brother, as much as I love my 805 and I think it was an extremely high value product back in the day and in some aspects (like amp for example) still a force to be reckoned with, but my next AVR will be Denon for sure :)

Oh, and I wont buy next TV by LG if I were you :) My LG Plasma old died only after 6 years of light use.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
Well BSA and OP what about these? Focal 726 at accessories 4 less 999.99 same as the SVS although SVS does offer the 45 day in house audition. I've heard these and they play real nice with not much power.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis