8 ohm speakers and 6 ohm speakers together

K

keithko

Audiophyte
I have a Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver and Boston Vrc left,right and center and surround speakers all rated at 8 ohms.I'm have a chance to get some nice Niles ceiling speakers at a great deal, but they are rated at 6 ohms. The receiver has a 6 or 8 ohms setting. If I buy these speakers what setting should i use and how will it effect my Bostons?

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
keithko said:
I have a Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver and Boston Vrc left,right and center and surround speakers all rated at 8 ohms.I'm have a chance to get some nice Niles ceiling speakers at a great deal, but they are rated at 6 ohms. The receiver has a 6 or 8 ohms setting. If I buy these speakers what setting should i use and how will it effect my Bostons?
.....Keithko, hook them ceiling speakers up and leave the setting at 8 ohms....keep in mind though, your amp sections will get warmer than before....how much warmer?....don't know....keep feeling the top of the receiver and see....or, don't worry about it and just listen to good music....if your receiver gets too warm, it will cut off automatically and cool....then you will know....and welcome to Audioholics.com......

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
I also am running 8 ohm bookshelfs and 6 ohm ceiling speakers. Using a Pioneer 1014. Had it set on 8 ohm. No problems at all. I also do not have anything sitting on top of the receiver, so that helps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis