77inch oled LG C class or go Sony?

B

BFL

Audioholic
For the past 4 months I have been looking into changing out our LG 65 oled for a 77inch. I had been eyeing the LG C2 oled, but was suggested to me I go Sony instead. Thoughts? What about the new QD-Oleds technology?

Thanks

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Thought there’d be some responses by now. Fine TVs, both LG and Sony OLED models. Feature sets come into play when considering one over the other as one may prove more usable in your system. A list of all of the devices in the system would be helpful to those who may make a recommendation.

B

BFL

Audioholic
Denon avr, att internet video box, and Nvidia Shield pro

I don't do any gaming.. General TV viewing and movies are my preferences

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Picture quality will not be an issue with either of them but they do have different platforms and user experiences will vary. With no interest in next gen gaming, the LG A2 model is worth a look for saving quite a bit of money compared to the C2.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai

Have you looked at the TV reviews at rtings.com?

Here's a burn-in test they've been running:

>>>Our accelerated longevity test has been running for over three months, and we've already encountered some very interesting results. We've already had three partial TV failures and one complete failure, which wasn't expected this early in the test. Both of our QD-OLED displays are showing signs of potential permanent image retention, also known as burn-in. Interestingly, some of the Sony WOLED displays are also showing burn-in. . . .

After running this [pixel refresh] video for about a week, following the regular longevity test schedule for a total of about 125 hours of runtime, we were able to nearly eliminate all image retention on the Sony A8H, A80K, and A90J. The Sony A80J and A90K, however, don't look any better, and it looks like this is permanent burn-in on these two TVs. The attempts to clear the image retention from the A90K made things worse, and there's now noticeable image retention or burn-in of the video that's designed to clear image retention.

The next obvious question is, why is there such a big difference between LG and Sony TVs? . . . We found that LG and Sony TVs have very little in common. <<<

I don't have any direct experience with these TVs so I don't have any advice other than "due diligence."

B

BFL

Audioholic
Thanks for the feedback... I know I had to replace the panel on my current 65 inch LG Oled within a year of getting it. Now I have a permanent green horizontal line about 4 inches from the bottom. This time I want to upsize to the max my entertainment center will allow which is 77inch. Most of 2022 the comparison reviews seem to favor the LG C2 from what I recall.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I have had the LG 77” C1 for right at 1 year now. I do game a lot through the winter months and some days for 8 hrs or more. So far, I have seen no issues with any type of burn in.
Coming from a Panasonic plasma, I find the picture to be outstanding. I didn’t do much right out of the box to tune picture except select mode. The menu is a bit muddled but not bad once you get used to it.
I purchased the LG through Value Electronics, one of the few remaining mom and pop stores, I believe they are out of New York. Robert Zohn is the owner and is extremely helpful if you have any questions. He sells both LG and Sony among other brands.
Check them out and give Robert a call, see if they can meet your needs.

https://valueelectronics.com/

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I have had a very similar experience with my C1 77" at the one year mark with it on for many hours each day and use it for gaming, as a Mac monitor and of course for TV and movies. Results will vary of course.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I have been running an LG C3 OLED 77" TV since 2019. It has had a lot of use. So far so good. No burn in issues.
It is powered via a long cable from my first AV rack via the UPS in that rack. There is whole house surge protection, so it is well protected.
However that is just one experience.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Last edited:
B

BFL

Audioholic
I saw on sony site they will have 2 77inch oleds.. One QD and one regular due this spring...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Wouldn’t touch a Samsung after having Samsung plasma and LCD sets. Raised blacks on the S95B defeat the purpose of OLED.

With Dolby Vision so widespread, it’s ridiculous that Samsung is still holding out. They also haven’t brought DTS support back yet like LG is doing with the new 3 models.

For mixed use of the display for TV, Movies, Gaming and PC monitor, the LG TVs are the best all around sets. We’ll see how the C3 and G3 review soon enough.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve been looking at the 65in LG recently but I plan to replace the sofa first so might not happen before football season.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Specifically about the G3, this video is very interesting concerning new OLED TVs all around.

B

BFL

Audioholic
At this point i may see if Sony releases the new models by the time Prime day rolls around. Right now the LG G3 is looking to have strong reviews.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis