70 volt system in home?????

• Thread starter souljerzoflight
  • Start date
S

souljerzoflight

Audiophyte
Hello everyone! I am very new to this site-actually my first post-and i am searching for some guidance on a 70 volt in home in ceiling speaker system.
I was doing demolition on a commercial building and was able to get 9 Tannoy cms801 dc's. ceiling mount speakers that i would like to install through my house for background music. Now is the perfect time because we are also in the middle of a remodel. My issue is that i would like to have 5.1 surround in the entertainment room a loudspeaker in the kitchen, garage, hallway, and front porch but i am not sure about which amplifier would be best for this application. The speakers are 70 volt speakers and i am pretty sure i need a 70 volt amp. Any inut on my situation would be greatly appreciated and i look forward to learning truck loads from you guys and gals.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello everyone! I am very new to this site-actually my first post-and i am searching for some guidance on a 70 volt in home in ceiling speaker system.
I was doing demolition on a commercial building and was able to get 9 Tannoy cms801 dc's. ceiling mount speakers that i would like to install through my house for background music. Now is the perfect time because we are also in the middle of a remodel. My issue is that i would like to have 5.1 surround in the entertainment room a loudspeaker in the kitchen, garage, hallway, and front porch but i am not sure about which amplifier would be best for this application. The speakers are 70 volt speakers and i am pretty sure i need a 70 volt amp. Any inut on my situation would be greatly appreciated and i look forward to learning truck loads from you guys and gals.
70 Volt systems are mono. You balance them by the tap you select on the transformer. The taps are rated in watts. The total watt taps from all the speakers should add up to the power available for the amp. This system allows you to have less power in the hallway and more in the kitchen for instance.

Now you can not make a 5.1 HT system, but you could use your receiver for HT and power a PA amp from zone 2 if you wanted.

Hopefully you took the transformers with the speakers, otherwise you are out of luck.

S

souljerzoflight

Audiophyte
Yes i got the whole can with transformers included. Very nice speakers. Ahhh i see about the 5.1 HT. So can i run the tannoys to a 5.1 receiver? Or is it a must to run them to a PA. And i like the idea of zone 2 being run to a PA for background music throughout the house. I love the concealed look of flush ceiling mount speakers. i almost want everything hidden. thank you for your reply and help

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes i got the whole can with transformers included. Very nice speakers. Ahhh i see about the 5.1 HT. So can i run the tannoys to a 5.1 receiver? Or is it a must to run them to a PA. And i like the idea of zone 2 being run to a PA for background music throughout the house. I love the concealed look of flush ceiling mount speakers. i almost want everything hidden. thank you for your reply and help
No, you can not run the Tannoys to a 5.1 receiver, only a 70 volt PA amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis